The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Workout Thread

• 2 weeks later...

Been working out from home for the last couple weeks. At first I wasn’t a huge fan of body weight and bands but it’s growing on me. I’ve ordered some adjustable dumbbells, though. Am looking forward to adding those to the workouts.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

On 1/27/2021 at 6:06 AM, babych said:

Been working out from home for the last couple weeks. At first I wasn’t a huge fan of body weight and bands but it’s growing on me. I’ve ordered some adjustable dumbbells, though. Am looking forward to adding those to the workouts.

It does grow on you but when and if you get back to the weight room you'll definitely see a drop off in what you were lifting before

• Like 1

Been making great gains with my squat lately, which is awesome now that I'm post-40. 

Hit a set of 275lbs for 5 reps last night, with relative ease. Hit a 3 rep max at 295 lbs last week. 3 months ago my 3 rep max was 265lbs. Did all of this without any wraps or belts.

I've never really taken squats that seriously before, and hoping to build up to a 400 lbs 1 rep max. My current weight is just below 170lbs and climbing though. The downside to heavy lifting is that you do put on weight. Hoping to hit the 400lbs at around 180 lbs body weight. 

On 2/17/2021 at 2:54 PM, taxi said:

Been making great gains with my squat lately, which is awesome now that I'm post-40. 

Hit a set of 275lbs for 5 reps last night, with relative ease. Hit a 3 rep max at 295 lbs last week. 3 months ago my 3 rep max was 265lbs. Did all of this without any wraps or belts.

I've never really taken squats that seriously before, and hoping to build up to a 400 lbs 1 rep max. My current weight is just below 170lbs and climbing though. The downside to heavy lifting is that you do put on weight. Hoping to hit the 400lbs at around 180 lbs body weight. 

It is doable. I was there many years ago. Got away from that over time. 

Speaking of which - do you deadlift as well? I find it much more difficult to improve my squat given I don't deadlift anymore. After injury where I couldn't do compression exercises for 8 months I gave up on those. Then I tweaked my back about 6 weeks ago where I couldn't do squats and only leg press but now I'm back to where I was 4 months ago squat strength wise; just spinning my tires in the mud. Meanwhile leg press evidently does nothing to maintain your squat strength. 

Picking up a routine starting tomorrow morning (hopefully). Just a basic 20 minute workout. If it's too much to start I'm going to let myself cut it in half the next day since I believe still doing something is better than nothing. Practicing the exercises this morning. I might also incorporate the pushups and superman pushups I already do just for consistency sake.

I'm posting this here to hold myself accountable basically. ;)

• Like 2

Just hit the 6 month mark of my new program.

Still strength training 5 days a week and now have added more cardio, I run at least 5k 3 days a week.

Was 207 lbs in Sept, now sitting at 190.

The weight loss has slowed down but that's likely because of muscle growth.

I am more motivated than ever and don't see myself slowing down anytime soon.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

Just hit the 6 month mark of my new program.

Still strength training 5 days a week and now have added more cardio, I run at least 5k 3 days a week.

Was 207 lbs in Sept, now sitting at 190.

The weight loss has slowed down but that's likely because of muscle growth.

I am more motivated than ever and don't see myself slowing down anytime soon.

Congrats man hard work pays off.

Edited by BoKnows
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Anyone have success with intermittent fasting? 

I'm going to be trying a schedule where I skip dinner and then breakfast the following day three times a week, which essentially turns out to be 24 hour fasts each time. 

I used to do at least a 24 hour fast every Sunday back in 2016/17. The first couple were fairly tough but after a few weeks it was easy. Eventually I could go well last 24 hours and go to work at a labour job feeling great. Energetic and alert with no food in my system. I think the longest fast I may have done was about 52 hours but I was most comfortable <36, which is more than enough anyway. I’d only go farther as a mental challenge. I got very lean doing it and found it had long term effects on my metabolism/appetite. It took months of forced eating to get my appetite back up- could be a good thing depending on your goals. 

I’m no expert but three fasts of 24 hours per week seems like a lot. I know there’s people that do it, but I’m not sure it’s really necessary for most people. What’s your goal?

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Anyone have success with intermittent fasting? 

I'm going to be trying a schedule where I skip dinner and then breakfast the following day three times a week, which essentially turns out to be 24 hour fasts each time. 

check out Dr. Peter Attia.

I liked time restricted eating when I did it. I would only eat between 12-6:30pm, a 6.5 hour window, other than that anything is fair game.

• Cheers 1