The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How will you remember Roberto Luongo?

Canuckler87

Acquired in the summer of 2006, Roberto Luongo came with a ton of expectations placed on him by Vancouver fans. During his first season here, it's safe to say that he exceeded all these expectations while single handidly carrying us to the second round of the playoffs. His performance against the Stars was magical and in his first game in the playoffs he came one save shy of a record for most saves in a playoff game.

We couldn't score that year. But his arrival sparked a new hope amongst fans and revived a sagging organization. The next year we went on to miss the playoffs but it was hardly his fault. For the following two seasons, we would go to the second round twice only to be eliminated each year by the Hawks. He served as captain those years.

After having the captaincy removed in 2011, he seemed more at ease and led us to our first presidents trophy in history. He would go on to lead us to the finals for the first time in seventeen years, and while his performance in these playoffs is much debated, the fact remains that he led us to within one win of our first cup.

Last year was a challenge as he would split time with Schnieds during the season and would eventually lose his job in the first round of the playoffs as a starter. We would win our second consecutive presidents trophy that year.

Perhaps his most difficult year as a Canuck was this year. Pending an eventual trade, he handled the situation with utmost class, dignity and humility. He never placed himself ahead of the team and played well whenever called upon, including the playoffs. So as this may very well be his last game as a Canuck (albeit from the bench) it's time to debate the legacy of arguably our most polarizing player ever.

How will you remember Roberto Luongo? As the best goaltender this franchise has ever had? Or a guy who just couldn't get the job done? I will remember him as the goaltender who led us into our most successful era as an organization. Leaving us as our leader in wins (and shutouts) among goalies, I have to admit that although I have criticized him in the past.. that I respect Roberto Luongo. And thank him for everything he has done for my team.

I think we as a team can get more in return for Cory on the trade market. With all the other goalies that are going to be out their instead of just handing Bobby Lu a check and saying thanks we might keep him and get some assets with Cory in return.....

After all the talk, he is still here...He still may be here if Gillis and AV are gone, hopefully!!

But if and when he goes, he will be a beast next season. He will be motivated than ever to win a cup and stick it to the organization, and I will be cheering for him all along.

Im happy that his last game as a Canuck wasn't the Edmonton game. He came out in the first two games in the playoffs, and put together his best starts that I have seen since he was a Canuck, if not top 5. Luongo has a lifelong fan in this guy, and I will cheer him on, wherever he goes. It will also be nice to watch him compete for gold in Socchi as Canada's starter next year. Hopefully his next team will treat him better.

I will remember lou as the best goalie in canucks history. (Gary Smith a close second) :)

I will remember his captaincy and the fact that he was worthy of that because of his leadership and work ethic and influence in the dressing room. (You could question the decision of making a goalie the captain at the time but not lou)

I will remember the disappointment of his play at times in the 2011 run. (altho it wasnt his fault alone that we lost)

I will remember the lousy way that management and coaching mishandled him in the final year he had as a canuck and the classy waythat he handled it.

If you go lou you will be my favorite non canuck player. Good luck.

Archived