The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How will you remember Roberto Luongo?

Canuckler87

As the most talented, competitive, self critical and hard-working goalie and terrific mentor the canucks have been lucky to have.

A guy who wanted nothing more than to bring home a cup, but the team let him down.

And also a man who took more flack from a fanbase than anything I've ever seen and still wanted to give us his all.

I was so excited the day we got Luongo.

It gave us stability in net in his prime he would save the first, 2nd and 3rd attempt before getting it by Roberto Luongo.

He has been a great teammate to schneids and would make a better mentor to lack and cannata.

If he does indeed leave I will cheer on Schneider who I have followed since his moose days, but I hope a day will never come when vancouver has to say...we sure miss Luongo

As the best goalie we ever had, and one of the classiest in the league considering how he's handling this situation.

Anyone who thinks otherwise is out to lunch. This guy carried this team on his back to their best seasons ever.

Go win where people will appreciate you Lu!

Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!

Talented, passionate, resilient, misunderstood, professional.

He came in like a God.

With no goal support he single-handedly took us as far as a goalie can except for one bloody win.

For that effort, he was stripped and beaten by the fans and the media.

He was ignored and slapped in the face by coaching and management countless times.

He was the goalie we never deserved.

For the love of all that is Holy, the organization owes it to Luongo to trade him or buy him out. I think Lu has some real hate for the Canucks. How could he not. He doesn't say it or show it because he is pure class, but the guy has been asking for a trade for more than a year.

PS. How can Cory Schneider want to sign a long term deal here? If I was him I would run from the current disgrace that is the Vancouver Canucks.

I'll remember Luongo as a player that I thought was overrated prior to his arrival in Vancouver, but one who quickly managed to change my mind thereafter.

I'll remember him as a confident/borderline arrogant goaltender who delivered some terrific regular seasons and a few good playoff series as well.

Mostly though I'll remember him as a player who was unable to live up to his contract or reputation for being elite and world class. I'll remember him playing for a pretty dynamic team in the playoffs and getting shelled unmercifully in select series' for 3 years straight.

In conclusion, I'll remember him as a good team guy who only occasionally threw his team under the bus, who said he plays the game for everyone except the fans, who held the team hostage in order to get his albatross contract, and the guy who wasn't quite the answer in goal when we needed him the most. Obviously I again view him as overrated but he is still one of the best goaltenders in Canucks history, for whatever that's worth.

Best goalie (perhaps the best player) in the teams history. Run out of town by stupid fans, even after taking us to the SCF. I'll remember him as everyone else will. In 2020, after several cellar dwelling seasons, we'll be saying "what if we'd kept Luongo?"

I posted this one in the condo thread...

2 years ago, I think it was round one against Chicago. Everybody was down on Lu, fans, media. My wife, daughter and I got quite upset. We felt it was entirely disrespectful, hurtful and not deserved. My daughter made a sign that said We Love Luongo...nice blue and green lettering. We made several hundred copies and spent the evening before the next game plastering the seawall in our neighborhood with them - all around Yaletown, David Lamb park, George Wainborn park...we put em up everywhere. It was done for us and the other fans...what else can fans do but support their players? We secretly kinda hoped Roberto would see one and realize he is still loved here.

He played outstanding and said he went for a walk on the seawall after the game.

We never knew where though, figured it was over by Kits or something

Seeing this, I don't think it would have been possible for him not to see them...a lot of them.

Sigh...We will miss you Roberto. You are a class act.Would buy a jersey but just too much scratch. Will have to just remember him fondly

I will remember him as the guy that changed this team. The guy that came in here and single handedly stole games for us, and the guy that destroyed the 'Canuck goalie graveyard' era. His first year was remarkable, because personally I didn't know what to expect. Every year he was fantastic but as we all saw him play some of his amazing saves went unnoticed as it was expected.

I mean what he has done for this team is more than (I think) anyone would have imagined when he was first brought in here. I hope he wins the cup sooner rather than later and more importantly shows all the critics/fans, etc. that despite some bad moments in the post-season he is still a guy you can depend on to get the job done.

8 goals in 7 games. I agree he had some bad games, but it's always our goalies that have to save the rest of the team. Our players never bail out the goaltenders when it counts. Never. That's on the Sedins. Lightning/Bruins ECF, Lightning scored many goals on Tim Thomas. It's only the Canucks team that makes every goalie look like a legend. Tim Thomas did have a record-breaking season that year, but our offense does this to so many goalies in the playoffs.

Archived