The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Letang Turns Down 8 year, $56 M offer from Pens

I am curious if maybe Letang thinks there is a better fit??

I understand staying with Pittsburgh equals playing with crosby and malkin but all that money tied up means depth will always be an issue.

Hockey players are not idiots and maybe letang realizes it may be smarter to look at option. Maybe teams with a defense looking for that last peice.

Rob Rossi of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review: The Penguins have offered defensemanKris Letang an 8-year, $54 million deal. The Penguins have a little wiggle room left and hope to get a response or counter offer by the weekend according to sources. The Pens don’t want to start the free agent period next week without having Letang’s future resolved. They may be willing to go slightly over $7 million. Source said that if they were to trade Letang, they would want a NHL player, a top prospect and a 1st round pick. They are intrigued by prospects with the Ducks and Canucks.

Considering the cap is going down, I wouldn't want him for more than 5.5-6 mil a year. Guy is great in the offensive zone and on PP's, but is too much of a defensive liability to be worth 7+mil a year. Wouldn't be surprised to see a team overpay for him though.

I wonder if that rumor is true...the one about them being intrigued by the ducks and canucks prospects. Would be interesting to see what happens.

Will Gillis grow some balls and make a blockbuster move?

I personally believe he wont, but if he does, it better not be a massive Overpayment. And if it is an overpayment, hopefully he could recover with a schneider or Luongo trade.

He either wants more term (why?), doesn't like the situation in Pittsburgh (why????), or is smoking crack.

There is no way he deserves more than 7 million a year, when almost every other elite defenseman (Weber, Suter, Doughty, Karlsson, Chara, Keith) has a cap hit around that much or less. What... does he want Crosby money? Not unless he suddenly morphs into Raymond Bourque...

would just kill he team. We could afford him now but never extend hum. We'd handcuff the teams depth and future for a while for a guy who's less defensively adept on the blueline than Ehrhoff.

Still could be a fun thing to see him on a PP with the twins

Archived