The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hunter Shinkaruk | C/W

-Vintage Canuck-

I don't buy it. RNH was barely 170 when he stepped into the league. 5'11 at 180 is not that small

Personally I thought it was a mistake to play RNH so young and it's already starting to show why with his injury problems. Playing in the NHL over an 80 game schedule is hard enough on the body for a mature strong man, being 180lbs or less and not being physically mature is just asking for injury problems playing full time duty.

I'd be excited to see Hunter show he's got what it takes to make the team but pretty apprehensive about his long term development with the increased risk of injuries being a smaller guy.

Hunter needs to add 5-10 pounds, it won't slow him down because 5-10 pounds isn't much and it will make a big difference in his balance, power. He can definitely get in the dirty areas, get more physical with 5-10 pounds. He would weigh the same as Taylor Hall if he added 10 pounds (190) pounds, another weird fact. P.Kane and Hunter Shinkaruk weigh the same which is 181 according to wikipedia (bad source I know but maybe true). That is a fact I like :D

There no doubt about it, that's small! Not tiny but not that big either.

It's not to small to make an impact at the NHL level though. Nothin wrong with being small as long as you're skilled.

Having bigger guys look out for you doesn't hurt either.

I can name 100 players in the nhl smaller but that would take way too long

Guest Gumballthechewy

I can name 100 players in the nhl smaller but that would take way too long

You could also name a hundred player in the NHL that are bigger too.

Like I said, it's not tiny, but 5'11" 180lbs is below average, last time I check it was the average was 6'1" 204lbs.

Well maybe not 100 but you get the idea. I remember the sedins were 6'1 at 180 for the longest time

And they really were quite ineffective for the 1st 6 or so seasons until they became mature and strong, very few guys are skilled enough to be small and effective. Kane...amazing talent, drafted 1st overall, not really fair to compare Hunter to Kane. RNH, again 1st overall yet already has injury problems. Maybe too soon to be playing with men?

People always point to St.Louis as the trademark for small guys who can be elite...St. Louis took a good 6 years to even make the NHL and has the biggest legs you've ever seen.

Even if Shrink has what it takes to play in the NHL now would it really be worth risking all the potential injuries playing his aggressive style against NHL sized defenders? Just looking at him you can see his immature physically, his dad looks like a big guy so its possible within a few years he could be pushing 190lbs and be ready for the NHL,

Size might be an issue if Shinkaruk is the go-to guy and constantly being pounded by those behemoth defenseman like Chara, Weber or Seabrook. But chances are if/when he makes it into the NHL, he'll probably be on the 3rd line with more sheltered minutes, probably against 3rd pairing most of the time or if he's a top-6, the other team will be more focused on Kesler.

And they really were quite ineffective for the 1st 6 or so seasons until they became mature and strong, very few guys are skilled enough to be small and effective. Kane...amazing talent, drafted 1st overall, not really fair to compare Hunter to Kane. RNH, again 1st overall yet already has injury problems. Maybe too soon to be playing with men?

People always point to St.Louis as the trademark for small guys who can be elite...St. Louis took a good 6 years to even make the NHL and has the biggest legs you've ever seen.

Even if Shrink has what it takes to play in the NHL now would it really be worth risking all the potential injuries playing his aggressive style against NHL sized defenders? Just looking at him you can see his immature physically, his dad looks like a big guy so its possible within a few years he could be pushing 190lbs and be ready for the NHL,

Management still believes they're a contender, so if Shinkaruk is that offensive talent that makes us a better team, then he plays.

Great game by Shrink!

Looks to have the most NHL ready game out of all our prospects judging by the first game againt proper NHL competiton. Great skating, great hands and he's got the tenacity to battle in the corners and win some battles. Too bad he's few years off being physically mature enough but wow was I impressed. Not afraid at all to mix it up with the big boys, kids got heart.

Yeah maybe in a couple of years kid will be ready....just maybe.

Looks a lot closer than I thought he would. I mean I was excited before but the kids got "it". He's likely still at least a year away in reality but man is that tantalizing!!

One of, if not the most noticeable forwards last night. All in good ways too. Didn't shy away from physical play/dirty areas, showed good offensive instincts. I think the timing issues with shots/passes would sort out with some playing and practice time. He is after all just getting his feet wet at this level. Give him a couple games once he's in the water and see how he swims...

Jensen's going to have to up his game if he wants to be the guy who gets the look for Booth's temporary vacancy....

Goal scorers goal, Natural ability. Jensen looks very hesitant IMO. Lack looked cool.

Nice to see if they're willing to push Shinkaruk during the pre season, play him a lot on a good line to see if he has it. I know they have to look at every one but I see a little seperation between him and the rest.

Anyone else see Shinkaruk similar to Skinner? Both are smaller guys (5'11") with great offensive abilities. I know Skinner was taken 7th overall in 2010, but that was also a much weaker draft class.

Skinner jumped in right away and was effective, but has fallen off a bit since.

The only similarities the two have would be in their "natural offensive abilities". Skinner also doesn't have that breakaway speed that I feel Shinkaruk has. Also Skinner is much more "finesse" than Shinkaruk. Skinner is pretty elusive when he wants to be and is hard to hit and has some unreal balance(because of figure skating Skinner is a beast on his skates) . Shinkaruk is like a raging bull for his size. He'll engage and let people engage on him.

I'd like to see Shinkaruk add a bit of elusiveness in his game. (he already has a deceptive change of speed that has caught a few defenders off guard, shown during prospects camp) It would make him hard to deal with along the boards and 1-on-1 as teams wouldn't know if he's going to just bull his way through or embarrass the defender. A good mix of Parise+Kane styles

Early days yet. I would like to see how he does playing against some of the bigger players: Thorton, Perry, Getzlaf, etc. Hopefully he has the savy to get out of the way when they're targetting him. I think of all the crushing RNH took in his first year and it concerns me. 18yrs is a tender age for the 'smaller' players to step into the bigs. So far, he's looked very impressive.

The others (Jensen, Hovart & Gaunce) will improve with more games and better team mates.

The only similarities the two have would be in their "natural offensive abilities". Skinner also doesn't have that breakaway speed that I feel Shinkaruk has. Also Skinner is much more "finesse" than Shinkaruk. Skinner is pretty elusive when he wants to be and is hard to hit and has some unreal balance(because of figure skating Skinner is a beast on his skates) . Shinkaruk is like a raging bull for his size. He'll engage and let people engage on him.

I'd like to see Shinkaruk add a bit of elusiveness in his game. (he already has a deceptive change of speed that has caught a few defenders off guard, shown during prospects camp) It would make him hard to deal with along the boards and 1-on-1 as teams wouldn't know if he's going to just bull his way through or embarrass the defender. A good mix of Parise+Kane styles

Shinkaruk is the definition of finesse. Did you not see him dance that defender before scoring last night? He's got unbelievable hands.

Archived