In order of likelihood:

1. Eddie Lack

2. Frankie Corrado

3. Jordan Schroeder

4. Brendan Gaunce

5. Nicklas Jensen

6. Bo Horvat

7. Bill Sweatt

I think those names can realistically make the opening night roster, but of course not all will. It's very close between Gaunce and Schroeder because of Schroeders size. I am certainly expecting some of these names to be on the team next year, most intriguing will probably be if Gaunce will make it or not. I hope Horvat is not rushed into NHL action yet and Shinkaruk still got ways to go.

I agree, and disagree. I think they're just about even, but in terms of a fit with Tortorella, Horvat fits like a glove. I'd prefer to see him wait a year and play next year.

I think Schroeder's done.

Schroeder almost certainly is in the mix to replace Roy as a 3C and occasional 2nd line player. Gaunce should get a long look at camp for a 3C/4C role, and could be moved to the wing. Jensen would have to make a big jump over where he was at the end of the season: I don't see it happening but maybe. Lain isn't ready and neither are Horvat and Shankaruk. This means that we still need someone like Lapierre or Boyd Gordon for a 4th line role. But if Schroeder and Gaunce stick and are credible, that's a lot of progress in the right direction. By this time next year, we'll have some real forward depth if the Sedins stick around.

Horvat, as I said in another thread, was voted best shotblocker in the OHL so Torts definitely had a BIG role in getting him most likely. I see him as Torts' Callahan. I could see him making the team in a year. Maybe if he impresses, he gets a few games up in the NHL. Shinkaruk I think will take around 2 years. Gaunce I could see being the 3rd line center this year easy.. Jensen will be up and down depending on how he plays.. He needs more time in the AHL to adjust to the more physical game though... I also think Lain will be up to replace Lappy for the 4th line centre position.. Lots of rookies coudld potentially be used. It's exciting for sure.

Torts had absolutely nothing to do with the draft, he said straight up he knows nothing about the players and wouldn't be involved.

That said. I'll be extremely disappointed if we don't have at least 2 forward prospects ready to contribute this season. I don't much care which.

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER

My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m)

David Booth ($4.250m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Chris Higgins ($2.500m)

Nicklas Jensen ($0.863m) / Jordan Schroeder ($1.400m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)

Tom Sestito ($0.750m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.200m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)

Dale Weise ($0.750m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Alexander Edler ($5.000m) / Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m)

Jason Garrison ($4.600m) / Chris Tanev ($1.000m)

Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m) / Frank Corrado ($0.599m)

Derek Meech ($0.675m) /

GOALTENDERS

Roberto Luongo ($5.333m)

Eddie Lack ($0.750m)

OTHER

Buyout: Keith Ballard ($1.400m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,091,111; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $208,889

I don't see much changes happening now, maybe lapierre is switched for another serviceable veteran or they give Gaunce a quick shot at 4th line centre. After the Ballard regular type buyout, there isn't actually that much cash left.

Sedins, Amex, kid line, checkers, Edler garrison PP, ham juice PK, tanev and corrado for cap cushion, lack gets the call to backup.

In this case I substituted Derek meech in for Alberts, another serviceable guy that torts knows and kept dale weise. I like his tenacity as a 13th forward. Unless they somehow trade booth or Edler, or convince Lecavalier to play here for a sweet million even, it ain't changin much.

Lack is in

Schroeder gets a longer try

Jensen gets a look

Gaunce has an outside shot

I'm really pumped at this pipeline and its size and smarts long term with lain, tochkan, Horvat, et al.

Relax. Let the prospects develop properly. No need to rush them. Too much optimism right now. Let them spend another year in junior to become stronger, more mature, and confident as leaders of their clubs. Give them a few games if you must, but unless they are actually contributing, there's no reason to put them up on the main club. This is like Hodgson again, where people just assume he's ready for a top role then he gets physically dominated. There are huge steps from junior to the NHL. If anyone is ready, it's the guys who have spent time in the pros.

I think Jensen should be on top of the list to take Raymonds spot. Jensen is the most ready out of all the guys.

Too many guys on here that think they know something, yet have never seen the prospects play. Basing things off draft ranking, and potential.

Don't rush our two most recent 1st rounders.

Let them both go and play at the WJ for Canada & have another year of seasoning and development.

As for Gaunce, he has an opportunity to crack the roster I think, if he shows us he is ready and grabs that spot then its his, otherwise its Schroeders. (3rd line center role im reffering too)

Other than that with Raymond moving on I think Jensen may have a chance, otherwise Kassian will get an improved role.

And I do think Corrado is on the team for sure though.

Personally, I'd do something with David Booth. Get rid of him and play Jensen in that spot and focus on getting an actual veteran 3rd line center long term and then you can slowly bring in Gaunce and Horvat.

Team needs more than 2 lines, to compete. They were a 2 line team this year and got destroyed in the playoffs. I don't think there is room for Schroeder on this team. I'd actually try to move him. I'm fine with Shinkaruk because he can play wing, but it's really tough to have a reliable small guy to play center. He's not going to shut down guys, so he better be able to put the puck in the net.

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Kassian/Jensen Kesler Higgins

Hansen (UFA) - Jensen/Kassian

Weiss - Lain - Schroeder/Sestito

Who knows, clearing Booth might allow the team to sign Vinny. Team still needs a puck moving defense man as well. Horak/Gaunce can play themselves onto the 3rd line, but I'd still like to acquire a veteran at the deadline, and maybe push Lain out of the roster in the playoffs.

A guy like Gaunce will definitely need some mentoring if he is going to be playing in the NHL next season. It's going to take some time for him to adjust to the speed of the game.

I would really like to see Schroeder given a real chance. He did not play bad last season and the way AV kept moving players all over how could he get comfortable. I say put him on a line with Higgins and Hansen on the third and see how it goes. Kassian should be given a chance at the top line again. Booth will stay at worst he is hurt again and gives Jensen a chance. As for the 4th line what is needed is someone who wins alot in the faceoff area. I can't see Weise didn't he play under Torts before? Give Handzus a chance he played well and with his size with Sestito and Jensen.

I can see Horvat playing 3rd line centre next year, Torts will love his defensive game, and also Shinkaruk might be able to play wing with Kesler wouldn't mind him in the 3rd line along side Horvat and Hansen/Higgins. Also very excited about Subban but he may take 2-3 years to develop.

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER

My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m)

David Booth ($4.250m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Chris Higgins ($2.500m)

Nicklas Jensen ($0.863m) / Jordan Schroeder ($1.400m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)

Tom Sestito ($0.750m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.200m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)

Dale Weise ($0.750m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Alexander Edler ($5.000m) / Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m)

Jason Garrison ($4.600m) / Chris Tanev ($1.000m)

Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m) / Frank Corrado ($0.599m)

Derek Meech ($0.675m) /

GOALTENDERS

Roberto Luongo ($5.333m)

Eddie Lack ($0.750m)

OTHER

Buyout: Keith Ballard ($1.400m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,091,111; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $208,889

Archived