The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Sabres struggling to re-sign Hodgson, fielding offers for him

How is negotiating a contract make him a diva? Sedins took Van to the edge of free agency before signing, divas? Kesler signed an offer sheet with Phily instead of negotiating in good faith, diva?

Whatever Gillis said about him is hardly credible now that we hear consistent stories from others who left.

H

How is negotiating a contract make him a diva? Sedins took Van to the edge of free agency before signing, divas? Kesler signed an offer sheet with Phily instead of negotiating in good faith, diva?

Whatever Gillis said about him is hardly credible now that we hear consistent stories from others who left.

H

Some of you people are still regurgitating what MIKE GILLIS said about this kid? That's hilarious. Gillis spews lies constantly. Yeah, this kid is an arrogant piece of garbage, just like his plan all along was to "develop Corey for 3 years and then trade him". Bull.

Gillis is a liar. Stop believing this guy.

It's not like he's the first RFA to hold out for a better contract.

Im interested to see if Cody improves his overall game, cause his defensive zone coverage was gawd awful last season. He put up some solid numbers, but how people think that he would have helped the Canucks still... just makes me laugh.

Still not sure that Kassian will end up being "enough" for Cody, but i dont think Hodgson is going to help a team win anything untill he develops some better intangables... Kassian has the size and ability, but does he have the head to put it all together?? Me thinks Torts is gonna help us with that answer.

Some of you people are still regurgitating what MIKE GILLIS said about this kid? That's hilarious. Gillis spews lies constantly. Yeah, this kid is an arrogant piece of garbage, just like his plan all along was to "develop Corey for 3 years and then trade him". Bull.

he had 34 points in 48 games on a new team . he is their no. 1 center. compared to bozak who everyone says is not a no. 1 center and gets more than 4 mil a year.

this is a great contract for buff. i don't know why is anyone bashing coho. i'm sure on the market he would get a lot more.

Every single GM in pro sports lies. Every one without exception. Protecting and managing information is a huge part of the job, always has been, always will be. Even more so now with the internet.

And Gillis never said his plan all along was to develop and trade Hodgson. What he said was that, in the months leading up to the trade, Cody was showcased and his ice time was carefully managed to maximize his value. Which is another thing that good GMs have been doing forever.

Gillis may be a liar, but you twist words like a media professional. He never said the plan was to develop cory for 3years then trade him. He said the ORIGINAL plan was to trade cory (which is obvious) and its funny how it worked out.

I think a second team shopping Cody a great young centre with good offensive stats in consecutive years says a lot about his perceived "character". If they thought cody was their future #1/#2 centre they wouldnt be shopping him no matter what his $ demands were.

Most young players (see 99% of them) dont go to their coaches and ask for more icetime or complain about money MOST of them are happy to be in the league and work their tail off to stick in the league and earn their teammates respect no matter what role they play. Coho clearly has a different way of doing things and who are we to say its bad, but it is different and clearly has irked the sabres and canucks.

I have no insecurity about the trade we need size and grit we got that in Kassian. I don't hate nor did I love Hodgson I think he's a bit on the greedy side if I'm honest. I didn't like how he tried to dictate where he played on the roster, and I don't like any unproven player demanding huge pay raises. I'm pissed as a fan we have had 2 lockouts in 8 years only to have players with ONE 20-30 goal season asking $5mil+ a season. What were the lockouts for?

LMAO! What a riot!

You knock on the other poster for "twist[ing] words like a media professional", and then yourself twist the words in such tight bends that what comes out is the exact opposite of what was said in the first place. You haven't just tacked your own theories onto what someone else said, or perhaps innocently misinterpreted what was meant, or even attempted to extrapolate from what may have been inferred - you actually imagine the exact opposite of the words used!

The original rumour (which precipitated this repeat thread) specifically stated "The team is not shopping him", as in Buffalo is NOT shopping Hodgson. Which you apparently imagine is code for Buffalo is shopping Hodgson, and then use your own twisted words to rationalize implying the kid's character is somehow "bad"? WOW, just wow.

FYI, but this thread is based on a rumour of a rumour that initially came out a few days before Buffalo's GM said they had actually just begun talks with Hodgson's agent (and were waiting for his call back, etc.), but even if ultimately it's proven true that Buffalo was (or is) looking at trade options involving Hodgson or that the two parties are negotiating a contract (OMG, negotiating a contract!), only someone so talented at "twisting words" as you would leap to the conclusion that it means Buffalo is "irked" with the kid ;)

And incidentally, while no one in Buffalo's management has actually been quoted as saying a thing negative about Hodgson or the current negotiation process with him, Buffalo's management has very openly declared they're interested in possibly trading their franchise goalie and leading sniper, Vanek - so like, basically they're interested in looking at ALL their possible options. That's not a reflection on Hodgson - or his character - but a reflection of where the organization as a whole is presently at with their rebuild.

sorry they are "openly fielding offers" not "shopping hm" ie hey if you give us a fair deal you can have him.

It has been pretty well documented that Hodgson has some different ideas than the average player. The kid went through 3 agents in 3 years finally settling on the completely zany rich winter who has some very radical ideas of his own. When Cody was traded and the "icetime" escapades came about Winter tweeted that he never asked for more icetime but another vested "party" did have conversations with the canucks (Cody's dad).

the sabres are a team in rebuild mode, what rebuilding team wants to trade or listen to offers on a 23 year old near PPG centre if everything is kittens and rainbows?

Gillis is not the complete moron that some people try to make him out to be. Just like nor is hodgson the devil or diva that canuck fans want/wish that he was to make them feel better. Cody is great young player with some very different ideas from the norm and as i said before it probably has rubbed some people the wrong way in both the sabres and canucks organizations.

Just because someone has "different" ideas like Hodgson does doesnt make him a bad person/diva especially when fans like us have no clue to the spirit or ideal of the discussions with the sabres or canucks. By all accounts he is a good person and a great hockey player but his personality is very different than most people in his profession which should be noticeable to anyone even someone with his head up codys fanny.

Lockouts were on the owners man. They agree to contracts. Their GMs negotiate on their behalf and those same GMs set the market value. Cody isn't asking for more than he is worth, the GMs in the league have set his value for him. Much like Clarkson went for 5.5, with his one good season.

I agree with the sentiment, why have the lockouts, but the blame needs to go where it belongs.

Archived