The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Olympics] OFFICIAL TEAM CANADA 2014 (everything related here please)

Who else is watching this on TSN?

I caught the highlights off the website.. Ray Ferraro plugging the Canucks saying he likes Luongo and Hamhuis' chances to make the team. I think Lou is more likely but it would be awesome if Hamhuis made the cut.

I caught the highlights off the website.. Ray Ferraro plugging the Canucks saying he likes Luongo and Hamhuis' chances to make the team. I think Lou is more likely but it would be awesome if Hamhuis made the cut.

I really do think Hammer can make the team. Ferraro nailed the description of how Hamhuis plays. I think Hamhuis - Subban would be an excellent bottom pair.

I really do think Hammer can make the team. Ferraro nailed the description of how Hamhuis plays. I think Hamhuis - Subban would be an excellent bottom pair.

I agree with you - Canada has some unreal talent on D but mostly on the right side. Hamhuis has been our de-facto shutdown guy for the past few seasons - fast, smart and responsible. Everything the coaches are saying they're looking for.

I think his offensive upside is actually understated as well - not much of a goal scorer but his point totals the past few seasons show he can make things happen despite not playing a lot of PP minutes.

Edit: He also puts in his time at the World Cup for Canada - important as well.

Hope he makes it!

Odd that Iginla and Marleau aren't there. They say they're looking for puck moving guys who can skate, so I find it odd with Marleau not there. Marleau has been pretty dominant in the past couple seasons.

Lots of guys I thought could have been invited that weren't.

I hope Eberle makes the roster. I look forward to him getting the big clutch goals for Canada's big team, just like he did at the World Juniors.

Never thought of those two together, but I think they would be a great pair. Hammer saves KB's arse all the time, so he would help Subban out too. This would let PK go all out offensive.

Hockey Canada is ‘extremely disappointed’ that Giroux skipped camp:

TSN’s Bob McKenzie emphasizes that Hockey Canada isn’t throwing Claude Giroux “under the bus” publicly or privately. Even so, he noted in Sunday’s Insider Trading segment that many prominent members are “extremely disappointed” that the 25-year-old opted to heal his injured hand in Philadelphia instead of joining this week’s Olympic orientation camp.

McKenzie believes that Giroux ranks among eight forwards who are favorites – if not locks – to make the prestigious team, which is part of the reason the management and coaching staffs are reportedly displeased.

To be fair to Giroux, McKenzie notes that it’s possible that the Philadelphia Flyers urged him to stay and rehab in town rather than attend the orientation, which aims to build camaraderie as much as anything else.

In all likelihood, this situation will blow over, especially since his injury stands as a legitimate excuse.

That being said, if any country boasts the depth to thrive without a player of Giroux’s all-world caliber, it’s Canada. Combining this inconvenience with a rough start to 2013-14 may at least cause some rumblings behind the scenes.

Overall, it’s difficult to imagine a healthy Giroux missing out on this experience, though.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/08/25/report-hockey-canada-is-extremely-disappointed-that-giroux-skipped-camp/

Team Canada emphasizes new blood, not retreading 2010:

Team Canada’s management team and coaching staff emphasized a variety of factors from dealing with a larger ice surface and learning from struggles in 2006. If there was one factor that towered over the rest, it was this: it’s about the present, not the past … even if it means leaving behind guys who were on that gold medal-winning team in 2010.

“What happened in 2010 … that’s over with. This is a new opportunity,” Head coach Mike Babcock said, via TSN’s Mark Masters. “We’ll be a younger group.”

Babcock noted the obvious on Sunday: that guys like Scott Niedermayer and Chris Pronger won’t be around this time. Even so, he (also somewhat obviously) expects the team to be loaded with championship-level players.

He did note that, like his Detroit Red Wings teams, he has no issues playing centers at the wing. Babcock insisted that he wants to get the best players out there.

One tie-breaker could very well be speed, however, as everyone from Babcock to Kevin Lowe and Ken Hitchcock emphasized how important it was to compile a team with a lot of skating ability.

Still, GM Steve Yzerman said that isn’t the only factor, as the team won’t just consist of the “14 fastest forwards and eight fastest defensemen,” as the Canadian Press’ Stephen Whyno reports.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/08/25/team-canada-emphasizes-new-blood-not-retreading-2010/

Gotta go with the game winning goal scorer of 2010. Sid it is.

I think if your going to base it off the 2010 games you still got to hand it to Toews who was voted best forward of the tournament. He was easily team Canada's MVP, Lead the team in points and lead the tourney in +/- with a +9. Then if you want compare what he's accomplished since the last Olympics.Toews has lead his team to 2 Stanley cups and picked up a Conn Smythe in the process.

Either way you really can't go wrong. I think for marketing reason's Sid will get the "C" but I think Toews is the most deserving.

I think if your going to base it off the 2010 games you still got to hand it to Toews who was voted best forward of the tournament. He was easily team Canada's MVP, Lead the team in points and lead the tourney in +/- with a +9. Then if you want compare what he's accomplished since the last Olympics.Toews has lead his team to 2 Stanley cups and picked up a Conn Smythe in the process.

Either way you really can't go wrong. I think for marketing reason's Sid will get the "C" but I think Toews is the most deserving.

Sid is the face of hockey Canada now, so it would very strange if anyone other than him wore the C. Toews should get an A.

Archived