The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Colin Stuart and Zach Hamill

Nail

No Italians? :P

By my estimation, the Canucks have the following players under contract who may spend time with the Canucks or are likely to play in the AHL or ECHL this upcoming season:

Forwards:

Zack Kassian (most likely will be on NHL roster but who knows?)

Jordan Schroeder (again, most likely will be on NHL roster but could still spend time with the Comets)

Mike Santorelli

Alexandre Mallet

Nicklas Jensen

Pascal Pelletier

Ben Ferriero

Kellen Lain

Ludwig Blomstrand

Darren Archibald

Brandon de Fazio

Zack Hamill

Colin Stuart

Steven Anthony

Alex Friesen

Kellan Tochkin

(16 forwards)

Defenseman:

Frank Corrado

Peter Andersson

Henrik Tommernes

Adam Polasek

Patrick Mullen

Alex Biega

Yann Sauve

Jeremy Price (must still be signed)

Jeremie Blain

(9 defensemen)

That's a lot of players for the Comets, more than enough to fill the entire line-up. I wonder how many guys will end up with the Salmon Kings (my guess is that Anthony and Tochkin will not see any time with the Comets.

It's going to be interesting to see how the Canuck prospects earn their ice time.

Wasn't brule a better option??

Hamill is someone we won't mind sending to the AHL and keeping there as depth cover in case we have injuries, similar to how we had Gordon signed last year. It wouldn't have been as fair to Brule to sign him with an AHL role in mind, when Brule can have his options open now to go after an NHL job if he wants it.

Hamill is definitely for the AHL though unless he majorly impresses over someone like Santorelli. Decent AHL numbers but hasn't played much in the NHL.

Stuart is for the AHL as well, and he describes himself as a two way forward that plays an up tempo, speed game. Can probably work up and down the lineup there, so will add some versatility.

Hamill, you kidding? I knew that guy when he was in high school (I'm quite a few years younger), played street hockey with him a few times. While I guess it's cool the Canucks signed him, I remember hearing he was called up to the Bruins during the 2011 Cup Run and didn't show. Decided he'd rather come back to our crapty little town and party with his friends. :picard:

Stuart, 31, played for the Iserlohn Roosters in 2012.13, collecting 21 points (9-12-21) and 35 penalty minutes in 45 games played. Hamill, a native of Vancouver, spent 2012-2013 with the Hershey Bears, San Antonio Rampage and Milwaukee Admirals. Drafted in 07 by Boston. Good depth signings by the Canucks.

Billy Beane, I mean Mike Gillis loves his high draft pick busts - ballard -barker -Parent -Sauve- drafted 1st overall in QMJHL draft and mike said thats why he drafted him - shane obrien -zach hamill

I'm not sure you know what you're talking about. A number of those were high picks and moneyball but Ballard was good before he came here, and OBrien was picked in the 8th round in 2003. I'm sure Sauve having been drafted high in the junior draft wasn't the only reason as well, since he appeared to be a solid pick for a two-way defenceman with good offensive upside.

Be interesting to see Hamill at camp, playing for the hometown team can always be a big motivator. It seemed to help Tambellini a couple seasons back

Could be better then Ebbett as a spare forward

Santorelli is more likely to earn that spot IMO, but you never know. It could end up being someone like Sestito as well if other prospects make it.

Archived