The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Anthony Mantha

Anthony Mantha led the Q with 50 goals and also added 39 assists in 67 games. He finished a plus 21 and added 71 minutes in the box.

He is a big figure at 6'4 and weighing in at 190 (should gain 15-30 pounds sooner or later)

I think this guy was a steal for the 20th selection by Detroit.

Reminds me of Bobby Ryan for his size and work inconsistency. But scoring 50 goals with an inconsistent work ethic would only rise dramatically with solid effort which he could be taught to have.

If added to our prospect pool i think we would be looking quite fine in a couple of years.

What would you offer up for this 6'4 50 goal scoring left winger?

Discuss

I've always been a bit concerned with large power forwards from the QMJHL. There seems to be quite a few that do well in juniors, but do not pan out well in the NHL. I'm not saying all are like this, but there has been quite a few busts.

I was saying the whole time with the 24th pick, the Canucks should have taken Mantha, even made a topic on it. This years draft was so deep, that a player of Mantha's calibre fell in the 20's

I'm fine though...when I made that topic, it was with the assumption that Shinkaruk would have been taken and Mantha would be the last available pure goal scorer / offensive minded player (what we need/lack) who was projected to fall near the end of the 1st round...sucked when I was watching the draft and saw Detroit get him, he's going to be a force to wrecken with. Huge player and the only 50 goal scorer in the draft from the CHL I think it was. Only negative is that many people say he lacks effort defensively.

...really, really, really happy and thankful we got Shinkaruk at 24th though - still can't believe it! Was projected a top 15 pick and he kept on falling...and then regarded Feaster missed on him too and we took him...telling you, mark my words, he's going to be another version of Patrick Kane but Canadian with much better attitude and a leader role.

I wanted Mantha and was kinda chokedthat Detroit got him as even with his supposed lackadaisical attitude he will flourish in Detroit with Nyquist Frk and the system they have. The knock is indeed highly touted players from the QMJHL flop as much as flourish as there is almost no defensive game and all offense. What would I give to get him if I was Vancouver GM? As much as I want to see Edler do well, Edler Schroeder and a 2nd for Nyquist or Frk, Mantha and a 1st and 3rd. Yes flame me, but I think that's about equal as Detroit would be giving up a ton of future for a serious D man a small yet highly skilled center who would do well in the skating happy east and a 2nd round pick which they would probably turn into the next Zetterberg

I was saying the whole time with the 24th pick, the Canucks should have taken Mantha, even made a topic on it. This years draft was so deep, that a player of Mantha's calibre fell in the 20's

I'm fine though...when I made that topic, it was with the assumption that Shinkaruk would have been taken and Mantha would be the last available pure goal scorer / offensive minded player (what we need/lack) who was projected to fall near the end of the 1st round...sucked when I was watching the draft and saw Detroit get him, he's going to be a force to wrecken with. Huge player and the only 50 goal scorer in the draft from the CHL I think it was. Only negative is that many people say he lacks effort defensively.

...really, really, really happy and thankful we got Shinkaruk at 24th though - still can't believe it! Was projected a top 15 pick and he kept on falling...and then regarded Feaster missed on him too and we took him...telling you, mark my words, he's going to be another version of Patrick Kane but Canadian with much better attitude and a leader role.

Totally and completely agreed. Mantha will suffer initially under relentless grinding defense being from the offense happy QMJHL where as Shinkaruk has developed his entire game to excel when being hounded and pounded in a grinder takes all WHL. Beyond thrilled we got him!

Abso-freaking-lutely. Steal doesn't begin to describe it. I am still shaking my head at Calgary's 2nd selection, a 2nd round projected player instead of a sure fire HOMETOWN KID!!!! Honestly what is Feaster doing I was yelling. There is no reason aside from size why Shinkaruk fell so low, but he only works his a55 off, scores goals, backchecks, hits and does all of those little things he needs to be a good all around offensive player with a good defensive resume. 18 years old, over 180 pounds and working out with who again this off-season? Oh that's right only the Roberts program and Crosby....this guy will pack on 20 pounds or more and top out at 200-205 pounds, oh did I mention he also only plays center AND natural LW? honestly him and Subban will be the steals of this draft as both will far exceed expectations and Subban will grow 2 inches maybe 3 and pack on 30+ pounds before he even sniffs the NHL. Yes, I am thrilled we got him over a work ethic questionable Mantha that can put up points in an offense happy QMJHL.

Not too worried we didn't get Mantha. I do think he was a good pick at 20 for Detroit and getting his skill and size at that position is a testament to how deep this draft was. But man, we got Horvat and Shinkaruk. We've got no reason to complain. Hunter has already learned to battle against bigger guys and it showed in camp. Mantha conversely could be said to have scored as much as he did because of the average size of his competition. He's got serious promise, don't get me wrong, but he may be shocked to see how much less effective he is against men and changing his game could take time.

Steve Bernier

Cory Urquhart

Marc-Andre Bernier

Maxim Lapierre

JF Jacques

Alexandre Picard

Bruce Graham

Mark Tobin

Marek Zagrapan

Guillaume Latendresse

Dany Roussin

James Sheppard

Bryce Swan

Keven Veilleux

Luke Adam

Maxime Sauve

Patrice Cormier

Jordan Caron

Phillippe Paradis

This is the list of QMJHL draft picks that are 6'2 or taller in the 1st and 2nd rounds from 2000 to 2008. Does that make you feel confident?

Archived