The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kevin Weekes gives his take on the Lu situation

canuckbeliever

That Lu argument would hold some weight on this board if I couldn't dig up an equal amount of posters that tried to run Cory out of town as well on here (so much for standing up for all Canucks, yes?) . Neither of which I believe represents to fanbase as a whole, but I could see how someone could if only the negative is memerable to them.

Has Lui been treated any differently than many who have played in Van going back to Dale Tallon. In essence the Canucks have been a failed franchise. Weak ownership groups and even worse weak management. To some extent a unknowledgeable fan base. Through the years the future has been sacrificed for the win now mentality. After + 40 years fans grasp at whatever the latest player who might deliver a CUP. Each draft is met by unrealistic expectations for the drafted. Media types like Weekes and those from the newspapers simply jump on the bandwagon. Weeke's effort was simply fluff to confirm to eastern media that their anti-Van bais is justified.

As negative as all this sounds I do think current ownership is the best Van has ever had. The org is slowly being developed and I see better days ahead.

Did I use the word you or did I say we? You're being silly.

I didn't say you did argue that so don't be so sensitive. What would really be awesome though would be if people did care a little more about what others thought of them. That's real accountability. The "I don't care what anybody thinks" approach you advocated doesn't do much for accountability now does it?

“Get behind your team. Being negative won’t help you win the Stanley Cup. There are people in those uniforms.”

Exactly. Weekes said it really well.

Its shameful how peoples personal hate for luongo and their jealousy is getting in the way of supporting the best goalie we've ever had and future hall of famer.

Weekes is entirely correct in his assessment of the large majority of Canucks fans. Or do all you butthurt crybabies seriously believe that you stand by your team and the players on the team?

If you do believe that, scroll through all the topics on here and reassess your position.

Weekes is entirely correct in his assessment of the large majority of Canucks fans. Or do all you butthurt crybabies seriously believe that you stand by your team and the players on the team?

If you do believe that, scroll through all the topics on here and reassess your position.

As for accountability, I am saying that we shouldn't care what other fans think. That doesn't mean avoid persoanl growth, but do you think a Vancouver fan should reflect on themselves by letting Alberta fans be the judge and executioner?

As for Cory, that's my point. If you just focus on what you want to believe, you will find it. Nothing survives under a microscope. We are not bad fans and city because of poor poor Lu, riots, internet Ethugs, elitists or bandwagoners. We are good fans because of traditions, passion and team support. Doesn't mean we are the best in the league, but it's a pretty good bunch and I have no problem associating myself with it.

Completely agree with him. Vancouver is one of the only places I know where fans are upset because they "only won the division" (great quote, in my sig and it's so true).

This part especially rings true for me and is a point I've argued here many times:

"Van City is an unbelievable city and a great hockey market. There’s just so much negativity that comes out of there. At this point in time they’re one of the best franchises in the league; they came within one game of winning the Stanley Cup (in 2011). They had the best overall power play that year, the best penalty kill (in the West) that year. They won the Jennings that year, scored the most goals in the league. High-energy team, fun team to watch. What’s there to complain about? O.K., you didn’t win and everybody’s in the business to win, but that ticks quite a few boxes. (In 2012) they won the Presidents’ Trophy."

Many people in Vancouver tend to feel an overall sense of entitlement and that transfers to their support of sports teams. They demand perfection. They're spoiled and have an "I want it now" mentality that insists on instant gratification. Some have never really had to work toward something and therefore don't appreciate the process in that. As a longstanding hockey fan, I appreciate this team as one of the best we've ever had.

And, while my thoughts are mostly directed at the bandwagon fans, it's reflected in the media and how this team is up against constant criticism and pressure.

Kevin Weekes should stick to doing nothing. To say a lot of negativity spews out of Canucks fans and blame them for the Luongo saga is absolutely bush league. He indirectly portrayed the fan base as to blame for the situation. Not sure why Weekes felt the need to call out the fan base especially when they have supported Luongo over the past 2 seasons and felt empathy for Lu. Maybe Weekes was mad because the fans were on him when he was performing terribly in Van

Archived