The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kevin Weekes gives his take on the Lu situation

canuckbeliever

To blame the fans for the Lu situation is terrible. Yeah fans were not happy with Lu in 2009/2010 when he had a 6.00+ GAA in needed especially when he is one of the highest paid goaltenders. He also came across as slightly abrasive in the media. Luongo has admitted in the past in interviews that some of the comments he made were out of frustration or emotion and were not the way he intended to say certain things.

However, the way he has handled the whole goalie saga last 2 yrs and his hilarious comments on twitter have shown a diff side. This is the actual Luongo. One which myself and majority of fans didn't experience or get to know simply because he was reserved in the media and didn't show that side to the fans. However, once fans saw this side they decided to embrace it with open arms. This has led to virtually all fans in BC supporting him. Proof can be see in emotional outpour which occured when 35 was dealt

I thought the exact same thing.

It's a bit hypocritical that our "critical" fans get their panties in a bunch whenever they're being criticized about their criticizing. People respond better to encouragement, that's Psychology 101.

SN: How do you think he will be received as the starter this fall?

Weekes: “Van City is an unbelievable city and a great hockey market. There’s just so much negativity that comes out of there. At this point in time they’re one of the best franchises in the league; they came within one game of winning the Stanley Cup (in 2011). They had the best overall power play that year, the best penalty kill (in the West) that year. They won the Jennings that year, scored the most goals in the league. High-energy team, fun team to watch. What’s there to complain about? O.K., you didn’t win and everybody’s in the business to win, but that ticks quite a few boxes. (In 2012) they won the Presidents’ Trophy.

“At what point in time does Roberto start earning their respect? He won a gold medal for Team Canada on home ice. I think he’s done an exceptional job. The luxury is they had two great goalies. Now, ironically enough, it’s Roberto’s net again. I don’t think it’s incumbent on Roberto; it’s incumbent on management, it’s incumbent on ownership and the coaching staff and, to some extent, the fan base. They need to embrace him.

“Not every time a goal goes in, you’re yelling at him or chirping him on Twitter or on talk radio. You got to get behind your guys. It’s a basic premise in life: If you tell someone, ‘I believe in you’ and you’re supportive of them, it increases their chances of being successful.

“Get behind your team. Being negative won’t help you win the Stanley Cup. There are people in those uniforms.”

^^

I see nothing wrong that and agree with pretty much all of it.

Kevin Weekes should stick to doing nothing. To say a lot of negativity spews out of Canucks fans and blame them for the Luongo saga is absolutely bush league. He indirectly portrayed the fan base as to blame for the situation. Not sure why Weekes felt the need to call out the fan base especially when they have supported Luongo over the past 2 seasons and felt empathy for Lu. Maybe Weekes was mad because the fans were on him when he was performing terribly in Van

Pardon? he had a 6.00+ GAA in 2009/2010, he had a 2.57 GAA regular season and a 3.22 GAA in playoffs, are you adding them together to get that stat? thats not how it works.....

I think we can both agree that he has handled the pressure of playing in Vancouver very well but I hope you are aware that many fans here and on other forums have been tearing him apart since playoffs against Chicago 08/09 that many fans still say that Canada won gold despite him and on and on....

Yeah and then when called out often the first BS line is about how much money they make quickly followed by some nonsense about not taking a job in the spotlight.

It's a good fan base. It's also an impatient hypocritical judgmental fickle fan base.

Good read, thanks for the post OP.

...don't really know why people are criticizing Weekes. His remarks were from an unbiased, neutral standpoint and they were good ones. I agreed with majority if not everything he said and he didn't say anything wrong or offensive from what I read. Just gave his take and nothing wrong especially since he said it in a orderly fashioned manner.

http://www.sportsnet...canada-starter/

Kevin Weekes should stick to doing nothing. To say a lot of negativity spews out of Canucks fans and blame them for the Luongo saga is absolutely bush league. He indirectly portrayed the fan base as to blame for the situation. Not sure why Weekes felt the need to call out the fan base especially when they have supported Luongo over the past 2 seasons and felt empathy for Lu. Maybe Weekes was mad because the fans were on him when he was performing terribly in Van

http://www.sportsnet...canada-starter/

For some here the article will be great or garbage depending on an existing bias. Overall, I think goalies stick together.

The one that sticks out to me is "handled with class through twitter" On twitter he was making silly jokes, sure, but outside of that it was still "my contract sucks" At the end of the day he's a highly paid player and needs to perform when called upon.

Acting like he was mistreated in any way is silly. He's lived a golden ticket life thus far.

Archived