The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Does Mike Gillis have a bad reputation around the league?

hyrule

Uh - the NHL is sooooo an old boys club! (Ownership) And - so are their appointed underlings within the NHLOA. This group can markedly decide or influence the outcomes of NHL games & play-off series.

Nothin' will change about that - until the good ol' boys...retire-out....or until the more progressive owners get bigger balls & amass a healthier voting-block of their own. Then they can out-vote the fossils....and replace their minions in the NHLOA Executive ranks....with persons of integrity.

Hey...it could happen. The alternative..."if ya can't beat 'em join 'em"...ain't an option for Van City.

Chiarelli actually visited my law school for a talk about sports law this past year, and I asked him this exact question (curiosity with all the media hooplah of GMMG being a former player agent). The answer is no. Contrary to popular CDC belief, GMs actually respect each other - it's a business and they have to obviously do the best job for their team. But doing the best job doesn't mean respect is a trade-off.

And - I forgot the part about ousting Bettman. Where`s the progressives alternative to that guy...already. Yup - my faith in the integrity of the good old NHL is at an all time low. I didn`t think that was possible after the 2011 Cup Final....but there we are. Yah - sports is also business...& not far afield from the WWE in some markets. But - I just want to see the players protected, the speed & skill of the game more valued & the officiating elevated....from the gutter.

I now believe the IIHF has better officiating...than in the NHL. I`ve watched teams play in IIHF tournaments & there`s were no ridiculous controversies. The calls rang true. Not because of any improved training methods - but because they made clear efforts to...eliminate bias or a conflict of interest from the officiating. We know this ain`t so in the NHL`s Campbell-gate era - tho`. The NHL managed to trot out O`Halloran for ever CHI vs VAN game religiously...coast to coast...because either he or someone else demanded it...& it wasn`t anyone from Van City. Sutherland hauntings...same mysterious deal.

Stricter guidelines on fighting & head-shots in other leagues...also make IIHF games more manageable too. No bonehead over-reactions or under-reactions...everyone gets the same treatment on the ice. In the NHL....the allowable decretionary game-management excuse is an evil....if officials with clear bias or axes to grind - are permitted to work certain games. There are over 45 referees to choose from over here....come onnnnn!

This is what torpedoes our faith in the league`s officials. You have to ask...if it`s clearly broke...and we saw that it was last season...where`s the real effort to fix it. Mr. Bettman & Mr. Daly...we`re hoping that Stephen Walcom has some better solutions.

The proof that this IS an old boys` club....is that Bettman (Jacobs lead Board) keeps welcoming in so many absentee & fiancially-shakey but pliable owners..... to be their yes-men. They effectively shun or spurn all of the creatively intelligent big-pocket investors...who have ideas of moving a team or getting a new franchise into a place like Quebec City or Hamilton...where they can actually thrive. Who are they saving those plums for anyway - I wonder? The league is a frustrating joke to watch from the outside. I can imagine all of the power-mongering that must be going on inside...when we see all of the shocking glimpses from what leak-outs out.

The NHL is all about big business, power & control. The biggest fish don`t want to relinquish much..& when they do offer-up something with one hand ...they`re as likely to take it all back with the other. GMs are the de facto generals for their owners. If an owner has an allegiance to an all boys club....so do their GMs. NHL politics may not be what you care about...but the `Nucks need to navigate league politics if they ever hope to score the elusive Stanley Cup. If 1994 & 2011...taught èm anything....it should be that much!

The proof that this IS an old boys` club....is that Bettman (Jacobs lead Board) keep welcoming in so many absentee & fiancially shakey but more pliable owners..... to be their yes-men. They effectively spurn all of the big-pocket investors...with ideas of moving a team or getting a new franchise in places like Quebec City or Hamilton...places that will thrive. Who are they saving those plums for anyway... I wonder. The league is a frustrating joke to watch from the outside. I can imagine all of the power-mongering that must go on inside...that only leaks out now & then.

It`s NHL is about big business, power & control. The biggest fish don`t relinquish much of anything...& if they do offer ya anything with one hand ...they likely take it back with another. GMs are foot-soldiers for their owners. If the owners have an all boys club....so do their GMs. NHL politics may not be what you care about...but the `Nucks have to navigate league politics - if they ever hope to score that elusive Stanley Cup. If 1994 & 2011...taught èm anything....it better be that.

Anaheim Ducks Henry Samueli Anaheim Ducks Hockey Club LLC 2005

Boston Bruins Jeremy Jacobs Boston Professional Hockey Association, Inc 1975

Buffalo Sabres Terrence Pegula Hockey Western New York, LLC 2011

Calgary Flames N. Murray Edwards Calgary Flames LP 1980

Carolina Hurricanes Peter Karmanos, Jr. Gale Force Sports And Ent 1994

Chicago Blackhawks Wirtz Corporation Chicago Blackhawk Hockey Team, Inc. 1954

Colorado Avalanche Stan Kroenke Kroenke Sports Enterprises, Colorado Avalanche, LLC 2000

Columbus Blue Jackets John P. McConnell Colhoc Limited Partnership, 2000

Dallas Stars Tom Gaglardi Dallas Stars LP 2011

Detroit Red Wings Mike Ilitch Ilitch Holdings Inc., Detroit Red Wings, Inc. 1982

Edmonton Oilers Daryl Katz Rexall Sports Corporation 2008

Florida Panthers Cliff Viner Sunrise Sports and Entertainment, 2009

Los Angeles Kings Philip Anschutz and Edward P. Rosk Anschutz Entertainment Group, 1995

Minnesota Wild Craig Leipold Minnesota Sports and Entertainment, 2008

Montreal Canadiens Molson Family Club de hockey Canadien, Inc. 2009

Nashville Predators Thomas Cigarran Predators Holdings LLC 2007

New Jersey Devils Jeffrey Vanderbeek New Jersey Devils LLC 2004

New York Islanders Charles Wang New York Islanders Hockey Club, LP 2000

New York Rangers James L. Dolan The Madison Square Garden Company, 1926

Ottawa Senators Eugene MelnykCapital Sports Properties, Partnership 2003

Philadelphia Flyers Ed Snider Comcast Spectacor, Philadelphia Flyers, LP 1967

Phoenix Coyotes George Gosbee IceArizona Acquisition Co., LLC 2013

Pittsburgh Penguins Ronald Burkle and Mario Lemieux Lemieux Group LP 1999

San Jose Sharks Sharks Sports and Entertainment San Jose Sharks, LLC 2002

St. Louis Blues Tom StillmanSLB Acquisition Holdings LLC, 2012

Tampa Bay LightningJeffrey Vinik Lightning Hockey LP 2010

Toronto Maple LeafsMaple Leaf Sports & Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment, Ltd. 1931

Vancouver Canucks Francesco Aquilini Canucks Sports & Entertainment 2004

Washington Capitals Ted Leonsis Mounumental Sports and Entertainment 1999

Winnipeg JetsMark Chipman True North Sports & Entertainment, Ltd. 2011

Look at the original 6 and the other teams with longstanding ownership groups. These are the teams which are the string pullers. Bettman is there puppet.

Textbook Old Boys' Club.

Read the book "Net Worth" if you ever get a chance. It goes into great and interesting detail.

You make my point for me...that this league is very afraid of transparency.....especially in regards to how it assigns officials & holds them to account...& the voting or operating patterns of the Board of Governors. The Dept. of Player safety videos...were mere baby steps compared to the offerings of others leagues. Letting officials publicly explain themselves after controversial calls...would be another. Avoidance....is one of the 1st tactics employed by the gulty. Let's see what Stephan Walkom does differently....or what the league will LET him do.

The Balsillie-affair, Auger-gate & Campbell-gate...were revelations that demonstrated how very quickly, aggressively & vindictively the NHL acts to defend the secrecy & power-structure within its' own house of cards. We know who the King-pins are....and they have dealt ruthlessly with outsiders & insiders who threaten the aims of their circle. Doubt me if you want. With 21st century technology everywhere...it's only a matter of time before a new whistle-blower leaks another scandal with the evidence to back it up. Light shone into dark places reveals the filth...that needs to be cleaned-OUT.

Archived