The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Tanev Re-signed

Strombone1

Good signing. Wish it was longer, but with the cap situation this is probably the best idea.

Hopefully it goes up next season and then they can get something long term figured out

Yup, you should see some of the "All Stars" on mine. RussianCanucksfan is in queue at the moment to be added if he keeps this up.

Exactly. The worry's over (for those that thought he'd actually bolt to the KHL or this was another Hodgson situation) and he'll have to prove himself on the ice now.

You know everyone is talking about the cap rising by $4 million or more next season and we've not a whole lot in terms of players we will need to re-sign next year so I am happy, we can happily afford $2.1 million AAV over say 3-4 years next year in keeping with standards and that will lock him up going into his best years.

That's all we need. At which point we can start a "Tanev, do we really need him" thread

RussianCanucksfan, on 22 August 2013 - 11:21 AM, said:

It's not trolling...What has Tanev done to warrant 1.5 million? He can't shoot, was not a difference maker in the playoffs, and is extremely over-rated by this fanbase!

::D

(did not play in the playoffs would be more accurate)

Also agreed. We don't have a bunch of big raises due for next year, unless we have young players like Schroeder and Kassian really take a step forward. And if they do then all the better, but otherwise we really only have an extension for Tanev and also Hansen to sign. We should be able to fit that into however much the cap rises.

I'm honestly surprised at the people saying he should have gotten less money... don't you get MORE money up front on shorter deals, less money (on average per year) on longer deals?

Also, I know he's over-hyped because we picked him out of the bargain bin, but if he was a UFA this season he'd be gone.. for more than 1@1.5.

Finally, he's a great compliment to this team with all of the offensive-minded lefties we have... responsible RHD is just what the doctor ordered.

Archived