The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Tanev Re-signed

Strombone1

I'm really surprised. He got more $$ than all his comparables - yet he doesn't have the #'s to back it up. Not to mention it's only a 1 yr deal - he should have been signed for less than comparables on a 1 yr deal

Gilman must have been on vacay, someone else must have handled this negotiation.

I don't think he deserved this much, Leddy, Smith, Muzzin all better players than Tanev have signed for less (other than Leddy, but he deserves that 2 million). I don't like greedy players thinking that they deserve more than what they are worth, so I wouldn't mind getting rid of Tanev if he really thinks he's worth 1.5+.

This was, essentially, a 'free' prospect, so great to keep him in the fold. We can lament picks we let get away(eg:Roy/2nd), but then we must acknowledge/recall great young acquisitions like Tanev, Lain, Lack, etc...

Quite a bonus if MG & scouts can find 1 of these every year. In addition, it appears our drafting is improving by leaps & bounds.

Said it yesterday & it bears repeating:In canucks history, this may be the first time where we've iced competitive teams(last half decade), whilst simultaneously reloading for the next generation. Kudos to MG for this.

I laugh at people still finding reason to complain about Gillis after this. Several people were using not signing Tanev to bash him and he gets signed and now it becomes "why did it take so long?", "only one year?", "1.5 million is too much". Give me a break. There are many factors when it comes to negotiations. I think this is a great deal to let Tanev prove himself while nearly doubling his previous pay and the cap will go up next year to allow for another raise if he performs well. It benefits both sides.

For those saying Brendan Smith is better need to watch him play and decide on more than just stats alone. Offensively, Smith only had 1 more point, but defensively the difference is massive. I know several Detroit fans that cringe whenever he steps on the ice. As a Vancouver fan, I never feel this way when Tanev is on the ice. Tanev is only getting more comfortable with his offensive game and he will have to prove that he has something this year offensively as well if he expects a bigger pay cheque.

One more thing to put things into perspective for those thinking he doesn't have enough experience in the league to earn 1.5 million, Tanev has played in 6 less games than the beloved Cory Schneider. I know there's a difference between goaltenders and players, but simply looking at playing experience, if Schneider can be viewed so highly, surely Tanev's experience is being under appreciated.

His contract is a, Show us what you can do, kinda contract, after this year he'll have arbitration rights and become a UFA, the payment is fair for a 1 year deal and just an all around good deal. Can't believe it took this long to get him signed though, if anything I was expecting a multi year deal, but I'm excited to see what Tanev can do Offensively and Defensively this year. I still wish we signed Murray over Alberts though...

I laugh at people still finding reason to complain about Gillis after this. Several people were using not signing Tanev to bash him and he gets signed and now it becomes "why did it take so long?", "only one year?", "1.5 million is too much". Give me a break. There are many factors when it comes to negotiations. I think this is a great deal to let Tanev prove himself while nearly doubling his previous pay and the cap will go up next year to allow for another raise if he performs well. It benefits both sides.

For those saying Brendan Smith is better need to watch him play and decide on more than just stats alone. Offensively, Smith only had 1 more point, but defensively the difference is massive. I know several Detroit fans that cringe whenever he steps on the ice. As a Vancouver fan, I never feel this way when Tanev is on the ice. Tanev is only getting more comfortable with his offensive game and he will have to prove that he has something this year offensively as well if he expects a bigger pay cheque.

One more thing to put things into perspective for those thinking he doesn't have enough experience in the league to earn 1.5 million, Tanev has played in 6 less games than the beloved Cory Schneider. I know there's a difference between goaltenders and players, but simply looking at playing experience, if Schneider can be viewed so highly, surely Tanev's experience is being under appreciated.

Archived