The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The last 4 first rounders to make the team in 2014!

Noseforthenet

Okay, alot of people are gonna say we shouldn't rush them. But I believe they will be ready! If we look at what the cap room is at right now for next season, it's 22 million. Let's say the Sedins sign for 7 mil a piece, which I believe they will, then you add Horvat, Gaunce, Shinkaruk, and Jensen into the mix full time (or almost full time) it will leave us with about 4 million for 4 more players. And that's if the cap doesn't go up at all (which let's face it, it will). Also, that's also even if Booth were to stick around for 2014 and not get bought out!

Look at this:

Sedin-Sedin-Burr

Higgins-Kesler-Booth

Shinkaruk-Horvat-Jensen

Gaunce-Richardson-?

Sestito

Hamhuis-Bieksa

Edler-?

Garrison-Corrado

?-?

And that's not even including the RFAs or anyone else that are gonna be re-signed going to UFA. 4 million for those 4 slots is worst case scenario and that ain't bad at all! Best case scenario, we have probably about 12 mil for 5 slots if Booth gets bought out and the cap goes up by 4 mil as what was speculated.

And then if one or two of the young guys aren't ready for 3rd line duty, there's always Ott, Downie, Fiddler, Boyle, and Ryan Jones that could fill some of those holes. In the best case scenario, we could afford them all in the bottom 6 with money to spare.

Either way, I am looking forward to 2014 and excited for this season too!

Okay, alot of people are gonna say we shouldn't rush them. But I believe they will be ready! If we look at what the cap room is at right now for next season, it's 22 million. Let's say the Sedins sign for 7 mil a piece, which I believe they will, then you add Horvat, Gaunce, Shinkaruk, and Jensen into the mix full time (or almost full time) it will leave us with about 4 million for 4 more players. And that's if the cap doesn't go up at all (which let's face it, it will). Also, that's also even if Booth were to stick around for 2014 and not get bought out!

Look at this:

Sedin-Sedin-Burr

Higgins-Kesler-Booth

Shinkaruk-Horvat-Jensen

Gaunce-Richardson-?

Sestito

Hamhuis-Bieksa

Edler-?

Garrison-Corrado

?-?

And that's not even including the RFAs or anyone else that are gonna be re-signed going to UFA. 4 million for those 4 slots is worst case scenario and that ain't bad at all! Best case scenario, we have probably about 12 mil for 5 slots if Booth gets bought out and the cap goes up by 4 mil as what was speculated.

And then if one or two of the young guys aren't ready for 3rd line duty, there's always Ott, Downie, Fiddler, Boyle, and Ryan Jones that could fill some of those holes. In the best case scenario, we could afford them all in the bottom 6 with money to spare.

Either way, I am looking forward to 2014 and excited for this season too!

7 mill seems like a lot since they signed for less than that for their prime years contract. My thought is they probably sign identical contracts to their last ones. 6.1 each.

A lot of speculation in this thread and some interesting math. Not sure how you that with Booth the Canucks would have 4 million to spend but without Booth have 12 million.

IMO

Jensen 2013 : 50/50 AHL/NHL , full in 2014

Horvat 2013 : junior/NHL, 2014 : NHL

Shinkaruk 2013 : junior, 2014 : 50/50 AHL/NHL

Gaunce 2013 : junior, 2014 :75/25 AHL/NHL

unless he has a horrible training camp, I believe Horvat plays 5-9 games with Canucks and then the decision will be made.

7 mill seems like a lot since they signed for less than that for their prime years contract. My thought is they probably sign identical contracts to their last ones. 6.1 each.

A lot of speculation in this thread and some interesting math. Not sure how you that with Booth the Canucks would have 4 million to spend but without Booth have 12 million.

Yes he does. He will cost too much to retain. We have Booth, Jensen, and Kassian. The only way I see him staying is if all 3 of the above disappoint this season. Jensen will bounce back and forth between the minors and NHL and Kassian will probably have a lil more rope this season. If he disappoints, he will be alot easier to retain and we can continue his development in the top 9. I mean he is still in his early 20s and has time to become a much better player.

Hansen is on the cusp of becoming a top 6 forward. If all 3 disappoint, Booth will be bought out and Hansen will be signed for top 6 money.

I mean, look at it this way people:

Horvat will make this team in 2014. He is that good. We have all seen it. He will be sent back to junior this year to terrorize the Memorial Cup and be one of the best in the CHL, if not THE best.

Shinkaruk doesn't have a spot due to our winger depth. He will play the exhibition games, but he is also very good and looks to be building chemistry with Bo. What many probably don't realize is Shinkaruk's bday is in October. Is he really gonna be sent back to junior just before he turns 20. That is highly doubtful. If he still isn't ready after 9 games or so, he will be retained so he can be sent down to the AHL.

Jensen will bounce up and down this season most likely. He will get a shot if Booth isn't fully healed up for a bit.

To me, Gaunce is the most interesting. I believe he will be a good player in the league. If he makes the team, it will be due to his versatility and he will have a chance to see what the NHL is like. He can play center and wing and possibly fill in for any forward not named Sedin or Kesler. I believe once he sees the NHL speed, he will adjust to it. Whether it be after another year in junior or after this training camp.

Either way, 2014 will see alot of youth on this team and it is very exciting!

There needs to be some experience on that line. I don't think it helps their development to put all three rookies on the same line.

Hansen won't earn top-6 money unless he shows he is capable of scoring 20-25 goals and 60 points. So, while I would like to see that kind of performance, I don't see him pricing himself out of a spot on the team. IMO, Hansen stays on the third. If all three rookies are good enough to make the team full time next year, I would think one would play on the 2nd, and perhaps even one on the 4th.

As much as I like to see optimism, I think the diamonds in your eyes are brightening your vision a little much.

I'd love to see all 4 of them make it, but my prediction is eventually someone will be traded if they all turn out great. We need young defensemen as well and Corrado and Tanev are not enough. It's a pretty bold statement I know, but what's going to be best for the team? 4 first round forwards making the team or 3 first round fowards and 1 or 2 solid defensive prospects? ;)

As much as I like to see optimism, I think the diamonds in your eyes are brightening your vision a little much.

I'd love to see all 4 of them make it, but my prediction is eventually someone will be traded if they all turn out great. We need young defensemen as well and Corrado and Tanev are not enough. It's a pretty bold statement I know, but what's going to be best for the team? 4 first round forwards making the team or 3 first round fowards and 1 or 2 solid defensive prospects? ;)

Archived