The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Cody Hodgson signs 6 year deal

Youth_Movement

Pretty much. The Sabres are excited when it comes to Girgensons. The guy will work his butt off no matter where they put him. From what was said on their site they've actually had to pull him off the ice and out of the weight room because he wants to play in the NHL so bad that at times he overextends himself. His work ethic and desire were two of the biggest reasons that they took him in the first round last year along with Grigorenko.

Gotcha. Well, I like the idea of switching him to wing then as a starter job. Get his attitude out on the ice rubbing off against others, let him learn the NHL style of play without the confidence killer center job straight off, and generally develop the kid. If he's a natural center then he'll be fine at wing and grow back into center as the middle jobs sort out for Buffalo this year/next.

We didn't sign Booth to that contract and you're fooling yourself that he gets signed here for anything near it or at all if he has anything short of an outstanding season this year.

Trading assets for an expensive contract is worst than signing an expensive contract. That means you actually had to give up stuff to gain a negative value asset.

Many people knows that Hodgson's game will improve with time. He'll get stronger and be more experienced.

His haters write him off as if he's reached his maxed potential and that he'll never be a good top-2 centre because his defensive abilities isn't at a Selke level like Kesler, Datsyuk, Toews, etc.... completely discounting great centres who are pure offense like Brad Richards, Joe Thornton, Henrik Sedin.

The same can really be said for Kassian. :) Just saying.

Kassian will likely not have the offense of Hodgson, but he is definitely a far more rare player in this league and ignoring that is just as stupid as ignoring what Hodgson can bring.

Kassian will likely not have the offense of Hodgson, but he is definitely a far more rare player in this league and ignoring that is just as stupid as ignoring what Hodgson can bring.

there's a differene between having potential and reaching your potential. Hodgson at least is showing he's some what starting to play to his potential.. where else Kassian shows glimpse of it once every couple weeks and then disappear again.

Kassians potential is more rare, yes, but that doesn't make it more valuable. Not to mention he is less likely of reaching his, and it is less convenient with our rosters timetable/needs.

Kassians potential is more rare, yes, but that doesn't make it more valuable. Not to mention he is less likely of reaching his, and it is less convenient with our rosters timetable/needs.

Kassian is going to be great for us but why even compare with Hodgson, who is a also a pretty rare breed.

-Lots have his passing skills.

-A good few of those also have the dangle (and subsequent puck possession) as it is stick skills.

-Some that have both of those have his vision.

- How many of those also can do this?

He picked top shelf, crossbar and in glove side against the Vezina winner. It was no accident, he also nailed the opposite bottom shelf, post and in against the Wests all star starter that year;

Some different skills...

Seeing as we are comparing "potential," how many of the guys that can, or probably will top out at 55 or 60 assists (top 12 to 15 in the league in assists is my projection for CoHo) honestly how many can shoot can shoot like that?

Thornton?

Stamkos? (who gets a good few of his assists creating rebounds)

Giroux

Kane?

Semin?

Kessel?

Even though I think Kassian will be very good for us; a 217 lb beast with soft hands; its also fair to say Hodgson is closer to my projection above than Kassian is to being Milan Lucic, Rick Nash or Bertuzzi (the rare power forwards).

we pay more for defencemen who struggle at playing defence. cody does play PK .. people need to look at buffalos players stats with and without miller in net last year that guy couldnt stop a beach ball and most of their D were hurt... but canuck fans just like to blame it on cody to make that crap trade seem better....

Exuses excuses, quit trying to blame his defensive game on other players. He made good money for a 1 zone center. As far as crap trade that's your constant bitch, sorry to bust your bubble but most Canuck fans like the trade and want our guy to do well. Hope Cody does well and you can cheer him and your Sabers on.

You may end up being right. If they do play Cody on the wing, Grigorenko would be his centreman before Girgensons. I'm willing to bet Girgensons spends most of this season in Rochester.

my point was that they have a few young guys who may "grow to fit" that role - and Girgensons is the type of two way center I am talking about - not that he is going to step into that role this year - and that they aren't about to contend anyhow.

my point was that they have a few young guys who may "grow to fit" that role - and Girgensons is the type of two way center I am talking about - not that he is going to step into that role this year - and that they aren't about to contend anyhow.

Once again, I understand what you are saying and I agree.

If you believe the Sabres will not be able to possibly contend in a few years than you must know something that other people don't. They have been picking up very excellent players left and right. The owner Terry Pegula is a Multi-Billionaire who has no qualms about spending money on anything and everything that the organization wants and/or needs. However if you meant that the Sabres won't contend any time soon then you are right. I would be surprised if they even end the season with a winning record. The new re-alignment makes it even more unlikely.

Once again, I understand what you are saying and I agree.

If you believe the Sabres will not be able to possibly contend in a few years than you must know something that other people don't. They have been picking up very excellent players left and right. The owner Terry Pegula is a Multi-Billionaire who has no qualms about spending money on anything and everything that the organization wants and/or needs. However if you meant that the Sabres won't contend any time soon then you are right. I would be surprised if they even end the season with a winning record. The new re-alignment makes it even more unlikely.

If Buffalo stays patient, they definitely have the potential to be contenders a few years from now. They have the best defensive prospect pool in hockey and a top three prospect pool overall. This isn't even including the good young players already on the team. They just need to add some elite wingers in their pool and they'll be set for the next several years.

Yeah Sturm and Samuelsson sure ripped it up in Florida...

Actually, Samuellson had a better PPG than Booth in the season they were traded. But regardless, we are still on the hook for Booth's contract while Florida is relieved from theirs.

you folks think cody is gonna get 60 or more points this year ???

It's possible? But with Buffalo's rebuild youth movement and with the long haul view in mind, I wouldn't be surprised to see (even hopeful to see) the focus being on developing their rookies even if that comes at the cost of guys like Hodgson getting less offensive play opportunity.

Since the trade, Buffalo's coaches have steadily supported Hodgson's defensive development (with regular PK duty, critical d-zone starts, etc.) with favourable results (which, despite what the anti-Hodgson crowd claims, the numbers actually support) as he improved steadily from near entirely lost in the d-zone (kinda no place to go but up, lol). For Hodgson's sake, and the team's given the new 6 year deal, I'd hope the focus for Hodgson this year is his two-way and defensive coverage play.

For the rookies though, if Buffalo goes with the development theory of building confidence with offensive game opportunity while easing them into two-way play, then it wouldn't be surprising to see projected lineups change... say with Vanek being paired with Grigorenko (and/or Girgensons, seeing how they're looking to put him on wing) while Hodgson centers wingers that don't have Vanek's finishing skills.

So yeah, who knows what Hodgson's point total will be this year, it'll depend on how the rebuild is planned and executed throughout the season. But any which way, if the point results this year lead to him playing the 2nd year of his deal on a more competitive team then that'll be good, right?

Actually, Samuellson had a better PPG than Booth in the season they were traded. But regardless, we are still on the hook for Booth's contract while Florida is relieved from theirs.

It was a good trade no matter how you slice it. No GM can predict injuries, especially from a cheap knee on knee. Our team is better with Booth in the lineup, hopefully he can stay injury free when he gets back.

Marcus Foligno has a good chance of being one of Cody's wingers.

It's funny that while Marcus is getting better, his once highly touted brother Nick (1st round pick-up) is stagnating.

Here's Marcus' Bobby Orr impression:

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-hockey/23714700/video-marcus-foligno-does-his-best-bobby-orr-imitation

Marcus Foligno has a good chance of being one of Cody's wingers.

It's funny that while Marcus is getting better, his once highly touted brother Nick (1st round pick-up) is stagnating.

Here's Marcus' Bobby Orr impression:

http://www.cbssports...y-orr-imitation

Foligno has a chance, yep. Pulled off a nice 2-0-2 +1 result in his debut on Tuesday with Hodgson/Vanek. Apparently the rookie Armia, who snagged 1-1-2 +2. while skating with Hodgson/Vanek tonight. The common denominator being the Hodgson/Vanek duet of course.

Vanek seems to be warming up alright, Hodgson too, and better - he's looking good on the d-end of his game so far. 1G (game winner) + 1A and +2 on the +/2 after two pre-season games make for good stats, but his PK numbers are interesting... 4th in short-handed ice time among all forwards and defense, with 3:49 (good for only 4 seconds less than defensemen PYSYK and MCNABB, and 3 seconds less than Larrson) - meaning for both pre-season games it looks like coaching staff are looking to play Hodgson in a 1st PK unit role, which can only help his whole game development.

Speaking of Larrson though... I dunno his origins, but from accounts tonight he was perhaps the best forward on the ice? Solid in the dot too with 71% (all Buffalo's centers, incl. Hodgson, were above 50%)... 2 goals on 7 shots and just 15:44 TOI... What are the chances that Buffalo has stumbled upon a solid 1Ca/b combo in Hodgson and Larrson to build around?

Speaking of Larrson though... I dunno his origins, but from accounts tonight he was perhaps the best forward on the ice? Solid in the dot too with 71% (all Buffalo's centers, incl. Hodgson, were above 50%)... 2 goals on 7 shots and just 15:44 TOI... What are the chances that Buffalo has stumbled upon a solid 1Ca/b combo in Hodgson and Larrson to build around?

I know very little about Larsson (2010 2nd round pick) other than that he played a few games for the Wild after he was finished in Sweden. The Sabres picked him up in the Pominville trade. He's done well in Rochester and has a shot as a winger on the Sabres 3/4 line.

Archived