The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Cody Hodgson signs 6 year deal

Youth_Movement

Man, people are way too desperate to devalue Hodgson. It is a good deal for both sides. I don't see Hodgson regressing at all, he'll be a good second line centre for Buffalo.

Nazem Kadri probably just made a throat slashing gesture at his agent.

Possibly a good 2C. I'm kinda thinking that $4.25 is a good deal to lock up a quality character guy for the longer term that a team can move through 1C to 3C depending on the team's makeup and playing style.

At least it seems to me that it looks like Buffalo has a way to go in sorting out precisely how they're gonna best pull of this rebuild, and based on where things go, especially with their other center prospects, Hodgson could end up anywhere from 1C to 3C (with his offensive talents, I'd see him moved to wing before pulling grinder duty as a 4th line center).

6 years of cancer. Way to go Buffalo.

SIgh. Guess you missed a few things....

1) The concept of Hodgson being a "cancer" is sourced to a single sentence uttered by Gillis when faced with even more questioning about the trade after an early Canuck playoff exist. Specifically, Gillis said "There clearly were issues that were ongoing, I spent more time on Cody's issues than every other player combined on our team the last three years." But Gillis never defined what "issues" meant, he merely applied lawyer speak to deflect negative attention onto the player, and presto - disgruntled fans jump onto the presumption Hodgson was/is a character problem.

2) Gary Roberts, a third-party to the happenings and a guy without a vested interest either way, jumped into the fray shortly afterward, providing an explanation of what "issues" really meant -

“I listened to Mike Gillis the other day,” Roberts said by phone over the weekend, “and my impression was, ‘Are you kidding me?’

“If anybody knew this kid, this young man, to know what he went through mentally and physically for two summers trying to find out what the heck was wrong with him — of course they dealt with his issues more than anybody else in the organization because he was injured and they couldn’t figure out what was wrong with him.

It almost was like they thought he didn’t want to work. Well, I can tell you that this kid out of all the kids that I train, he’s up there in the [steven] Stamkos group as far as commitment and determination. What I tell him, he does, so I know he’s coachable and I love working with him.”

3) No one other than Gillis (post trade of course) has remotely suggested Hodgson is a character problem, "primadonna", "whiny malcontent", "cancer" or any one of the other baseless labels disgruntled fans like to banter about as though, if repeated enough, then they'll suddenly become true.

4) Throughout the Sabres/Hodgson negotiations this summer, the ONLY info quoted or claimed to come direct from the team, came from Sabres teammates (ie: Vanek) and management (ie: Rolston and Reiger), and all of it was highly favourable. As recently as this morning, in fact, Reiger went on record with what he thought of Hodgson's character -

"We certainly believe that Cody is a player that will continue to get better, improve," Regier said. "He has fit in very well organizationally. He’s a very mature young man. He’s a very hard-working, committed individual and athlete. That’s someone we’d like to have around for a long time.

"The nature of negotiations, the longer it goes, both sides certainly can become entrenched. That certainly hasn’t been the case here. We’ve had lots of communication, especially over the last few days. There’s a good effort by everyone involved."

Sorry, mate, but the GM doesn't speak that way of a "cancer", and the team doesn't lock in a "cancer" to a 6 year contract when they've got a bunch of other youth depth up the middle.

Hopefully. I'm hoping that Torts can find a line for Kassian and that he can finally have his breakout season. That's a pipe dream though. He'll probably sign a bridge contract.

It would be an absolute disaster if CoHo pulls a Tyler Myers.

Torts is really high on seeing Kassian play with the Sedins. Torts has stated Kassian has the entire training camp with the Sedins. If that does well, he's in with them for exhibition games. If that goes well, he's in for the start of the season. If it doesn't go well, Kassian will see top 6 minutes.

From the Tortorella/ Gillis interview posted on Canucks.com.

Torts is really high on seeing Kassian play with the Sedins. Torts has stated Kassian has the entire training camp with the Sedins. If that does well, he's in with them for exhibition games. If that goes well, he's in for the start of the season. If it doesn't go well, Kassian will see top 6 minutes.

From the Tortorella/ Gillis interview posted on Canucks.com.

Cool. I'm betting the Sedins will make for the best mentors the team has to offer Kassian. Solid work ethic characters with calm dialed-in focus, the maturity to go with the leadership role, and confident enough in themselves that they'll be looking for the whole line to work rather than focused on solo "career year" performances.

If it doesn't pan out, I'd be glad to see Kassian teamed up with Burrows - another solid work ethic character who earned his way up with heart and determination. Dunno how they'd get paired together (presuming that if Kassian ain't with the Sedins then Burrows is), but he'd be my 2nd pick anyway.

SIgh. Guess you missed a few things....

1) The concept of Hodgson being a "cancer" is sourced to a single sentence uttered by Gillis when faced with even more questioning about the trade after an early Canuck playoff exist. Specifically, Gillis said "There clearly were issues that were ongoing, I spent more time on Cody's issues than every other player combined on our team the last three years." But Gillis never defined what "issues" meant, he merely applied lawyer speak to deflect negative attention onto the player, and presto - disgruntled fans jump onto the presumption Hodgson was/is a character problem.

2) Gary Roberts, a third-party to the happenings and a guy without a vested interest either way, jumped into the fray shortly afterward, providing an explanation of what "issues" really meant -

3) No one other than Gillis (post trade of course) has remotely suggested Hodgson is a character problem, "primadonna", "whiny malcontent", "cancer" or any one of the other baseless labels disgruntled fans like to banter about as though, if repeated enough, then they'll suddenly become true.

4) Throughout the Sabres/Hodgson negotiations this summer, the ONLY info quoted or claimed to come direct from the team, came from Sabres teammates (ie: Vanek) and management (ie: Rolston and Reiger), and all of it was highly favourable. As recently as this morning, in fact, Reiger went on record with what he thought of Hodgson's character -

Sorry, mate, but the GM doesn't speak that way of a "cancer", and the team doesn't lock in a "cancer" to a 6 year contract when they've got a bunch of other youth depth up the middle.

I agree with some of your points, but Roberts was hardly a third party. He had a vested interest in supporting Cody as Cody was a client of his at BioSteel.

The scenario with Hodgson and the Canucks always seemed pretty straightforward to me. The Canucks already had Kesler and Hank and Cody wasn't getting the ice time he needed. There was also Schroeder waiting in the wings (though this has yet to pan out). Hodgson, despite his talent, wasn't exactly a fit in the Canucks organization. In my mind he was, as Kesler would make the best 3C any team could dream of; however, management saw Kes in the 2C spot and so c'est la view. Hodgson was unlikely to re-sign to play a third line role, so he was dealt.

To this point, Buffalo has probably won the trade, but it is also way to early to close the book. Kassian is like 22 years old and has a lot of time to develop. I'm really excited to see Kas this year under a new coaching staff. AV did a lot of great things in his tenure, but I thought he and the rest of the staff didn't provide Kass with enough in-game instruction.

I agree with some of your points, but Roberts was hardly a third party. He had a vested interest in supporting Cody as Cody was a client of his at BioSteel.

The scenario with Hodgson and the Canucks always seemed pretty straightforward to me. The Canucks already had Kesler and Hank and Cody wasn't getting the ice time he needed. There was also Schroeder waiting in the wings (though this has yet to pan out). Hodgson, despite his talent, wasn't exactly a fit in the Canucks organization. In my mind he was, as Kesler would make the best 3C any team could dream of; however, management saw Kes in the 2C spot and so c'est la view. Hodgson was unlikely to re-sign to play a third line role, so he was dealt.

To this point, Buffalo has probably won the trade, but it is also way to early to close the book. Kassian is like 22 years old and has a lot of time to develop. I'm really excited to see Kas this year under a new coaching staff. AV did a lot of great things in his tenure, but I thought he and the rest of the staff didn't provide Kass with enough in-game instruction.

I "hear" ya, good points for sure. But I'm thinking Roberts was a third-party without a vested interest. He may have had a biased opinion of course (seeing how he'd worked with Hodgson so knew the kid and his character, etc.), but he didn't stand to gain anything by jumping into the fray, or stand to lose anything (ie: lose a client) by keeping his head down.

Your comments on the possible true background and rational for trading Hodgson fits way better than the whole "Hodgson musta been a primadonna cancer whiny malcontent who demanded a trade" theory.

I don't agree with your seemingly favourable view of AV generally (I was an anti AV crowd member from the onset to his career with the Canucks and despite noting his positives, just couldn't shake my overall ugh for the guy), but that only makes me more readily agreeable to your thinking that Kassian's development wasn't well served under AV.

I just keep thinking: youth needs ice time to earn ice time, it's called development! Benchings for every minor mistake aren't useful in the long haul, and Kassian at 21/22 should be looked at from a long haul point of view.

Well, if he signed for 1 or 2 years I'd say you are correct but... he's overpaid now, will make appropriate money in 2 years and be considered to be underpaid at the end of his contract. Players cannot renegotiate like they used to be able to. I'm mostly surprised/intrigued by the term myself.

Term is too much and cap hit is too much for an unproven player.

Buffalo would have been better off to wait him out and sign him to a Kadri deal to see if he develops.

Buffalo would have been better off to wait him out and sign him to a Kadri deal to see if he develops.

That's why he hired Winters

Archived