The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The September Camp Thread,list of invitees, cuts etc updated daily

Primal Optimist

Corrado is probably only because he can be sent down without going on waivers.

Probably call back up when shinkaruk and/or horvat gets sent down or someone is injured.

Its ok for him to get 5-10 games playing 20-25 minutes in the AHL. 20-30 games will be too much.

Too bad about Corrado, I honestly think he is a better defender than Weber or Alberts but I guess they didn't want to risk sending either of those players down and lossing them to waivers. I was hoping the Canucks would carry 8 and keep Corrado up but oh well, he'll be back in Vancouver soon enough. Don't buy a house in Utica, Frankie cause you'll be moving back West soon eough.

Too bad about Corrado, I honestly think he is a better defender than Weber or Alberts but I guess they didn't want to risk sending either of those players down and lossing them to waivers. I was hoping the Canucks would carry 8 and keep Corrado up but oh well, he'll be back in Vancouver soon enough. Don't buy a house in Utica, Frankie cause you'll be moving back West soon eough.

So, basically Shinkaruk is going to sit in for Kassian, and Horvat for Schroeder? Cool.

All I want for Christmas In September is to waive the flying fack out of Sestito. Get rid of him. Now. Finally, after years of wishing, we are so close to actually icing a decent fourth line, yet he is still there.

As for Gaunce, he needs to spend next summer renting a room in Kesler's house, shooting pucks at dryers in between skating lessons.

I think it has more to do with that Weber/Alberts will be roughly splitting games in all likelihood and only playing 10+ minutes a night. If Corrado were to make the team he'd have to out play one of the established players. Does Corrado playing roughly half the games at ~12 minutes night sound better than playing all the games as a top pairing guy in Utica? He needs to play

He looked good. He looked ready. But he was not head and shoulders above either Weber or Alberts. He lacks either of their experience and doesn't have Alberts size/physicality or Weber's offense. He's literally the perfect call up and will for sure get his chances as injuries occur. As he gains experience, size etc he'll eventually over take those guys on the depth chart.

One more year in the AHL and he will leap frog over Tanev.

Frankie has the size, the mean streak and offensive capabilities that Tanev doesn't have and with AHL seasoning, he will be just as good if not better than Tanev in the defensive zone as he is already not that far behind Tanev.

Frankie is arguably already better than Tanev as he brings offense and physicality even though I would say Tanev is still slightly better defensively because Tanev completely lacks physicality and offense.

I would like to see Tanev develop an offensive game, but it hasn't shown yet. He's still young though, so we'll see.

Corrado will play in our top 4 by the playoffs. Mark my words:

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Edler - Corrado

Garrison - Tanev

Torts is going to turn Edler into that #1 defenseman we've all been waiting for him to be.

Tanev has good offensive zone instincts, but his shot just sucks. I actually really liked what I saw in him on the PP solely for his awesome passing. He has that first pass that our PP has needed since Ehrhoff. He just doesn't have the shot, which is why you pair him with Edler or Garrison on the PP.

Opening day lineup

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Higgins Kesler Hansen

Booth Santorelli Shinkaruk

Sestito richardson Wiesse

Hamhuis Bieksa

Edler Garrison

Alberts Tanev

Luongo

Kassian will take Shinkaruks spot when he returns from his suspension

Weber will be the 7th dman. MG will be looking hard for another depth forward in the next few days. With Schroeder out for 3 weeks and Kassian Suspended. We have no choice but play Shinkaruk on the 3rd line. That leaves us with no spare forwards if Gillis does nothing.

Schroeder out 3 months... just saw that. Jeez, another major setback in his development.

It looks like it will be Sedins and Burr, at least until Kassian comes back (not that he deserves the spot)

And Kesler with Higgins and Hansen makes sense as the checking line with offensive potential. But it's a real shame training camp went the way it did: pretty disappointing. Higgins and Hansen were supposed to be our 3rd line wingers. Here we are again, using 3rd liners as second liners.

We can only hope Booth pulls his head out of his butt so we can have a real second line.

I think Shinkaruk will only get 9 games OR games until Kassian returns. Whichever.

Horvat might hang out for 9/Kassian or whatever, but I don't see him actually adding more to the team than a waiver pick-up will. The games will be good for him, though.

At least Santorelli was decent. Richardson was disappointing. 3rd line center my butt. 4th line it is for you!

So...

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Higgins - Kesler - Hansen (only Kesler belongs on the 2nd line... when he's on his game...)

Booth - Santorelli/Horvat - Shinkaruk (decent I guess...)

Sestito - Richardson/Santorelli - Weise (**shudders**)

At least our defense looked half decent...

Once Kassian comes back, who knows where he gets placed. As far as I am concerned, he was useless in every exhibition game... coming from someone who really wanted to see him have a good camp with the Sedins. Way to piss that chance away, bud. Shane O'Brien on forward...

WTF?

Last night was Sestito's best game as far as I can remember. Kept it clean and kept it mean. He had a huge hit on John Moore behind the Rangers' net and on his very next shift went to make the same hit in the same spot, and the defenseman who was clearing the puck flinched and coughed up the puck right to our player and created a scoring chance. He did everything well last night and created chances with his hits and presence on the ice.

Sestito isn't the best but he played well last night and if he continues to bring that presence I'm happy to have him.

Schroeder out 3 months... just saw that. Jeez, another major setback in his development.

It looks like it will be Sedins and Burr, at least until Kassian comes back (not that he deserves the spot)

And Kesler with Higgins and Hansen makes sense as the checking line with offensive potential. But it's a real shame training camp went the way it did: pretty disappointing. Higgins and Hansen were supposed to be our 3rd line wingers. Here we are again, using 3rd liners as second liners.

We can only hope Booth pulls his head out of his butt so we can have a real second line.

I think Shinkaruk will only get 9 games OR games until Kassian returns. Whichever.

Horvat might hang out for 9/Kassian or whatever, but I don't see him actually adding more to the team than a waiver pick-up will. The games will be good for him, though.

At least Santorelli was decent. Richardson was disappointing. 3rd line center my butt. 4th line it is for you!

So...

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Higgins - Kesler - Hansen (only Kesler belongs on the 2nd line... when he's on his game...)

Booth - Santorelli/Horvat - Shinkaruk (decent I guess...)

Sestito - Richardson/Santorelli - Weise (**shudders**)

At least our defense looked half decent...

Once Kassian comes back, who knows where he gets placed. As far as I am concerned, he was useless in every exhibition game... coming from someone who really wanted to see him have a good camp with the Sedins. Way to piss that chance away, bud. Shane O'Brien on forward...

Ya last I heard it was 3 weeks for Schroeder's injury, not 3 months...

I think Shinkaruk absolutely deserves to make this team, even for the full season. I'm less convinced by Horvat, though you can tell he can really be situated anywhere. I thought Gaunce was more deserving of a shot than Horvat, but if Gaunce can excel in junior playing top minutes then let him.

As far as I'm concerned Corrado made this team, and we could have carried 8 D if not for the Kassian suspension. The reason I say this is because currently we have 13 forwards (Horvat being the extra, with Weise returning), and 7 D - creating a 22 man roster with the goaltenders. Then we have another spot filled by Kassian, even while he is suspended, creating 14 forwards, reaching the max roster size of 23. So it just made sense to move Corrado down for a bit, until Kassian returns and then we could consider sending one of the rookies back.

Well you guys complained about not having a young roster, but here it is! Lack, Shinkaruk, Horvat all rookies, with 2nd/3rd years in Tanev, Kassian Schroeder and likely call ups in Corrado and Jensen. The rookie hazing is going to be intense!

Archived