The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

GDT/PGT | Sept. 16/13 | San Jose Vs. Vancouver | 7:00 PT | SNET-P | Pre-Season |

-Vintage Canuck-

Couple of items to note and agree with many posts here (yes its only the first game but getting into "Torts Head") one can glean the following insights. And bare with me here, be patient and read through this all and take it 'together'.

1. I dont think Shinkaruk is getting a real look. Playing him with our best line in this game yes is great, but he's also only suited for the top 2 lines. While there is a hole there, he is being played with players who can 'hide his weaknesses'. I think its to give him confidence, continue to show the team wants him to play a top line role, but will be sent to junior. He's not being 'auditioned', he's getting practice....

2. Gaunce and Jensen together. Interesting and very telling. Two young kids who they want more out of, and to make it playing together, making it harder than playing with experienced vets who can make up for errors. Also being given a 'scoring' role in this game. He is testing to see how they compete against men alone, not with help from a Burr/Kesler etc to make it easy...how do they compete when its boy / inexperience vs Man /experience and alone, with only 2 other rookies to lean on (to me this says they are actually being 'auditioned for their roles' this year). They want to see if Gaunce can play a hard 2 way game and keep up in the NHL, and also, can Jensen score, play smart D without the help of some vets...with a rookie line no errors are going to be 'hidden' this is very telling to me...this tells me they are getting a REAL look.

3. Horvat with 2 vets, out of his 'role'- says not a real look. get him ice, let him work on his defensive game, his 'grinding,physical game' as a hint as to what they team wants him to build on back in London. His value will be as a top 2 line center for the nucks who can skate, hit and score. Kassian w better hands at center. We all know, including him, as he's stated, he needs to work on his footspeed. He also needs to use the great tools given to him by God, his size and ability to play physical.

Lines are put together for a reason folks....I'll be very curious to watch this game with that lens...I am sure many will disagree, just my opinion, but every little things coaches do is for a 'reason'..these lines aren't about winning today, they are about seeing what you have, where they can play, what you need to teach/instill in certain players as they are sent back to junior/ahl to develop.

Should be a fun game, happy to see hockey again!

go nucks go!

Disagree on Point 1. Torts has gone on record saying he wants to play Burrows and Kesler together which is what he is doing in preseason game 1. The natural fit for the 3rd forward on that line is Booth but he's injured, so why not have one of the young guys play their 9 games on that line till Booth comes back. Hunter is getting a chance to show he can keep up with speedy Burrows and Kesler and fit into their style of play. This is definitly an audition for him and a huge opportunity, he should come out flying tonight.

you've clearly never played the game, nor coached anything, its a common move. It gives the coach a better perspective of the ice / playing surface and he can see everything at once vs being on the bench and having to watch film after.

learn a little before you start hurling ridiculous comments.

Archived