The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

GDT/PGT | Sept. 16/13 | San Jose Vs. Vancouver | 7:00 PT | SNET-P | Pre-Season |

-Vintage Canuck-

I really think the 4th line will be a battle. If the players vying for that spot think a bit they will realize every position is up for contest.

Weiss - not really proven anything, insurance policy more than anything and if outplayed will be sent down

Sestito - same thing

Richardson - only lock but may end up on 3 so that would open up 4c.

In the running

Lain

Archie

Hamill

Mallet

Gaunce

Santorelli

Colin Stuart (a player no one is really talking about but is 6'2 205 and is 31, been around a long time but never got a shot, has

size and I certainly noticed his skating and drive in the scrimmages, could easily supplant weiss/tostito).

Defazio - big kid has alot of pims

Lain

well I hope in terms of ice time, the lines will be more like this:

Shinkaruk - Kelser - Burrows

Pelletier - Gaunce - Jensen

Archibald - Lain - Hamil

Sestito - Horvat - Weise

Nothing against Horvat, it's just impossible to look good with those wingers in a top 6 role.

As I understand it we need a minimum of 8 vets with 100 nhl games, and with these forward rounding out all of 4 Vet spots, I assume our D will be mostly veterans, making it quite strong.

Lack gets most of the game which is good. I assume for the next game they'll have the Sedins and give Eriksson the game.

From hockeybuzz

Alex Burrows - Ryan Kesler - Hunter Shinkaruk

Nicklas Jensen - Brendan Gaunce - Pascal Pelltier

Tom Sestito - Bo Horvat - Dale Weise

Darren Archinald - Kellan Lain - Zach Hamill

Dan Hamhuis - Frankie Corrado

Yannick Weber - Henrik Tommernes

Alex Biega - Andrew Alberts

Eddie Lack

Joe Cannata

From hockeybuzz

Alex Burrows - Ryan Kesler - Hunter Shinkaruk

Nicklas Jensen - Brendan Gaunce - Pascal Pelltier

Tom Sestito - Bo Horvat - Dale Weise

Darren Archinald - Kellan Lain - Zach Hamill

Dan Hamhuis - Frankie Corrado

Yannick Weber - Henrik Tommernes

Alex Biega - Andrew Alberts

Eddie Lack

Joe Cannata

Couple of items to note and agree with many posts here (yes its only the first game but getting into "Torts Head") one can glean the following insights. And bare with me here, be patient and read through this all and take it 'together'.

1. I dont think Shinkaruk is getting a real look. Playing him with our best line in this game yes is great, but he's also only suited for the top 2 lines. While there is a hole there, he is being played with players who can 'hide his weaknesses'. I think its to give him confidence, continue to show the team wants him to play a top line role, but will be sent to junior. He's not being 'auditioned', he's getting practice....

2. Gaunce and Jensen together. Interesting and very telling. Two young kids who they want more out of, and to make it playing together, making it harder than playing with experienced vets who can make up for errors. Also being given a 'scoring' role in this game. He is testing to see how they compete against men alone, not with help from a Burr/Kesler etc to make it easy...how do they compete when its boy / inexperience vs Man /experience and alone, with only 2 other rookies to lean on (to me this says they are actually being 'auditioned for their roles' this year). They want to see if Gaunce can play a hard 2 way game and keep up in the NHL, and also, can Jensen score, play smart D without the help of some vets...with a rookie line no errors are going to be 'hidden' this is very telling to me...this tells me they are getting a REAL look.

3. Horvat with 2 vets, out of his 'role'- says not a real look. get him ice, let him work on his defensive game, his 'grinding,physical game' as a hint as to what they team wants him to build on back in London. His value will be as a top 2 line center for the nucks who can skate, hit and score. Kassian w better hands at center. We all know, including him, as he's stated, he needs to work on his footspeed. He also needs to use the great tools given to him by God, his size and ability to play physical.

Lines are put together for a reason folks....I'll be very curious to watch this game with that lens...I am sure many will disagree, just my opinion, but every little things coaches do is for a 'reason'..these lines aren't about winning today, they are about seeing what you have, where they can play, what you need to teach/instill in certain players as they are sent back to junior/ahl to develop.

Should be a fun game, happy to see hockey again!

go nucks go!

Couple of items to note and agree with many posts here (yes its only the first game but getting into "Torts Head") one can glean the following insights. And bare with me here, be patient and read through this all and take it 'together'.

1. I dont think Shinkaruk is getting a real look. Playing him with our best line in this game yes is great, but he's also only suited for the top 2 lines. While there is a hole there, he is being played with players who can 'hide his weaknesses'. I think its to give him confidence, continue to show the team wants him to play a top line role, but will be sent to junior. He's not being 'auditioned', he's getting practice....

2. Gaunce and Jensen together. Interesting and very telling. Two young kids who they want more out of, and to make it playing together, making it harder than playing with experienced vets who can make up for errors. Also being given a 'scoring' role in this game. He is testing to see how they compete against men alone, not with help from a Burr/Kesler etc to make it easy...how do they compete when its boy / inexperience vs Man /experience and alone, with only 2 other rookies to lean on (to me this says they are actually being 'auditioned for their roles' this year). They want to see if Gaunce can play a hard 2 way game and keep up in the NHL, and also, can Jensen score, play smart D without the help of some vets...with a rookie line no errors are going to be 'hidden' this is very telling to me...this tells me they are getting a REAL look.

3. Horvat with 2 vets, out of his 'role'- says not a real look. get him ice, let him work on his defensive game, his 'grinding,physical game' as a hint as to what they team wants him to build on back in London. His value will be as a top 2 line center for the nucks who can skate, hit and score. Kassian w better hands at center. We all know, including him, as he's stated, he needs to work on his footspeed. He also needs to use the great tools given to him by God, his size and ability to play physical.

Lines are put together for a reason folks....I'll be very curious to watch this game with that lens...I am sure many will disagree, just my opinion, but every little things coaches do is for a 'reason'..these lines aren't about winning today, they are about seeing what you have, where they can play, what you need to teach/instill in certain players as they are sent back to junior/ahl to develop.

Should be a fun game, happy to see hockey again!

go nucks go!

I understand this game is NHL Network, and being televised locally in BC. Because it is on NHL-N does that mean it WONT be on Gamecenter Live? (I live outside of BC). Originally pre-season hockey did not fall into blackout restriction issues and could be streamed etc, anyone know if Sharks or Nucks websites have indicated they will stream it?

I understand this game is NHL Network, and being televised locally in BC. Because it is on NHL-N does that mean it WONT be on Gamecenter Live? (I live outside of BC). Originally pre-season hockey did not fall into blackout restriction issues and could be streamed etc, anyone know if Sharks or Nucks websites have indicated they will stream it?

Archived