The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

GDT/PGT | Sept. 16/13 | San Jose Vs. Vancouver | 7:00 PT | SNET-P | Pre-Season |

-Vintage Canuck-

Woohoo!! Can't wait!!

Vancouver Canucks@VanCanucks

Eddie Lack will play the first two periods tonight vs. San Jose Sharks. Cannata gets the third.

Ben Kuzma@benkuzma

Lines: Burrows-Kesler-Shinkaruk, Jensen-Gaunce-Pelltier, Sestito-Horvat-Weise, Archinald-Lain-Hamill. #canucks

Ben Kuzma@benkuzma

Sharks notables for Monday against Canucks are few: Pavelski, Wingels, Burish, Demers, Hannan.

Ben Kuzma@benkuzma

Lack on rehab from January hip surgery: "I'm actually more flexible than I was before because I've been working so much on it." #canucks

Ben Kuzma@benkuzma

Gaunce on pushing for roster spot "You have to get a little out of your comfort zone to play in the NHL, but you have to be responsible."

Ben Kuzma@benkuzma

Gaunce on his doubters: "People can say whatever they want. The only thing that matters is what the team, coach and management thinks."

He probably didn't have enough time to expand on his comment because he was busy sending his response while driving.

Apollo makes a Luongo thread asking people to get behind Lu (which I'm fine with) and to give him a break for being such a Lu homer. Its tough to ask others to give you some credibility and then write posts that provide you with none.

I wouldn't have blamed AV either if he wanted to watch from the press box. Why do scouts watch the games from the rafters and not from the fouth row? Its because the eagle's eye view gives you a better perspective of ALL players.

It is the first preseason game. You don't try to teach a system to a team the includes only 50% of the regular season roster. These first games are going to be about judging talent, not about implementing a system.

It makes sense. They are testing jensen to see if he can play with no regular line mates to respond while giving him a challenger in shinkaruk. Will shinkaruk make the team? Probably not. More than likely they are testing to see how jensen reacts to some competition. By game 3 I expect it to be jensen kesler burrows. Looks like they like the look of horvat on the fourth line though. He might make it :) good for him.

Couple of items to note and agree with many posts here (yes its only the first game but getting into "Torts Head") one can glean the following insights. And bare with me here, be patient and read through this all and take it 'together'.

1. I dont think Shinkaruk is getting a real look. Playing him with our best line in this game yes is great, but he's also only suited for the top 2 lines. While there is a hole there, he is being played with players who can 'hide his weaknesses'. I think its to give him confidence, continue to show the team wants him to play a top line role, but will be sent to junior. He's not being 'auditioned', he's getting practice....

2. Gaunce and Jensen together. Interesting and very telling. Two young kids who they want more out of, and to make it playing together, making it harder than playing with experienced vets who can make up for errors. Also being given a 'scoring' role in this game. He is testing to see how they compete against men alone, not with help from a Burr/Kesler etc to make it easy...how do they compete when its boy / inexperience vs Man /experience and alone, with only 2 other rookies to lean on (to me this says they are actually being 'auditioned for their roles' this year). They want to see if Gaunce can play a hard 2 way game and keep up in the NHL, and also, can Jensen score, play smart D without the help of some vets...with a rookie line no errors are going to be 'hidden' this is very telling to me...this tells me they are getting a REAL look.

3. Horvat with 2 vets, out of his 'role'- says not a real look. get him ice, let him work on his defensive game, his 'grinding,physical game' as a hint as to what they team wants him to build on back in London. His value will be as a top 2 line center for the nucks who can skate, hit and score. Kassian w better hands at center. We all know, including him, as he's stated, he needs to work on his footspeed. He also needs to use the great tools given to him by God, his size and ability to play physical.

Lines are put together for a reason folks....I'll be very curious to watch this game with that lens...I am sure many will disagree, just my opinion, but every little things coaches do is for a 'reason'..these lines aren't about winning today, they are about seeing what you have, where they can play, what you need to teach/instill in certain players as they are sent back to junior/ahl to develop.

Should be a fun game, happy to see hockey again!

go nucks go!

well I hope in terms of ice time, the lines will be more like this:

Shinkaruk - Kelser - Burrows

Pelletier - Gaunce - Jensen

Archibald - Lain - Hamil

Sestito - Horvat - Weise

Nothing against Horvat, it's just impossible to look good with those wingers in a top 6 role.

As I understand it we need a minimum of 8 vets with 100 nhl games, and with these forward rounding out all of 4 Vet spots, I assume our D will be mostly veterans, making it quite strong.

Lack gets most of the game which is good. I assume for the next game they'll have the Sedins and give Eriksson the game.

Some good points overall and much that I agree with in your analysis.

However, re: point number 3, I wonder what kind of role Horvat would be getting if he was getting a "real look"?

Outside of being used as a LWer, I don't see how he gets looked at as anything higher than a #3C. Playing behind Hank and Kes in the lineup, if Horvat made the team as a centerman, he'd likely end up playing on the third line and flanked by two veteran bottom-six forwards.

I agree that his eventual role with the Canucks projects as a top-six forward. However, on the outside chance that he grabbed a spot for this season, he'd very likely be playing on a similar line to what he's seeing tonight. Of course, with a full roster (including all the veterans), the quality of his wingers would be higher than Weise and Sestito, but given the overall group on tonight's roster (ie: ranking Weise/Sestito against the other forwards in tonight's lineup), the role he's being used in for this game is arguably quite similar to what he'd potentially be playing if he made the team as a center for the 2013-14 NHL season.

Of course, if he was shifted over to LW, he'd almost certainly be expected to play higher in the lineup, if auditioning for his ideal role on the current team.

If he was playing on the wing with the same quality of linemates as Weise/Sestito, I'd be more likely to assume that they were looking to work on "his defensive game, his 'grinding, physical game'" (to borrow your words).

I'm not trying to suggest that I can Vulcan mind meld with Torts any better than you can (or anyone else). More just saying that tonight's usage and line combinations might also be interpreted as Horvat being auditioned for one of the open bottom-six center spots in the Canucks lineup (instead of him merely getting some focused development work in anticipation of his return to junior).

Lines per Twitter and other sources

Shinkaruk Kesler Burrows

Jensen Gaunce Pelletier

Sestito Horvat Weise

Archibald Hamill Lain

Hamhuis Corrado

Alberts Biega

Tommernes Weber

Lack (1st two periods)

Cannata (3rd period)

Sharks:

Hertl-Pavelski-Wingels

Sheppard-Desjardins-Burish

Reid-Hamilton-Tarasov

Oleksuk-McCarthy-Stewart

Hannan-Demers

Irwin-Tennyson

Petrecki-Pelech

Demelo

Stalock

Sateri

VC update the OP

Gaunce getting a good look being put on a line with Jensen while Horvat being burried with Weise and Sestito. Interesting to put Horvat with such plugs but I guess Gaunce has priority on that 3rd line center spot over Horvat.

Also Interesting that Shroeder isn't in the game, guess he's a lock for a spot with management?

Couple of items to note and agree with many posts here (yes its only the first game but getting into "Torts Head") one can glean the following insights. And bare with me here, be patient and read through this all and take it 'together'.

1. I dont think Shinkaruk is getting a real look. Playing him with our best line in this game yes is great, but he's also only suited for the top 2 lines. While there is a hole there, he is being played with players who can 'hide his weaknesses'. I think its to give him confidence, continue to show the team wants him to play a top line role, but will be sent to junior. He's not being 'auditioned', he's getting practice....

2. Gaunce and Jensen together. Interesting and very telling. Two young kids who they want more out of, and to make it playing together, making it harder than playing with experienced vets who can make up for errors. Also being given a 'scoring' role in this game. He is testing to see how they compete against men alone, not with help from a Burr/Kesler etc to make it easy...how do they compete when its boy / inexperience vs Man /experience and alone, with only 2 other rookies to lean on (to me this says they are actually being 'auditioned for their roles' this year). They want to see if Gaunce can play a hard 2 way game and keep up in the NHL, and also, can Jensen score, play smart D without the help of some vets...with a rookie line no errors are going to be 'hidden' this is very telling to me...this tells me they are getting a REAL look.

3. Horvat with 2 vets, out of his 'role'- says not a real look. get him ice, let him work on his defensive game, his 'grinding,physical game' as a hint as to what they team wants him to build on back in London. His value will be as a top 2 line center for the nucks who can skate, hit and score. Kassian w better hands at center. We all know, including him, as he's stated, he needs to work on his footspeed. He also needs to use the great tools given to him by God, his size and ability to play physical.

Lines are put together for a reason folks....I'll be very curious to watch this game with that lens...I am sure many will disagree, just my opinion, but every little things coaches do is for a 'reason'..these lines aren't about winning today, they are about seeing what you have, where they can play, what you need to teach/instill in certain players as they are sent back to junior/ahl to develop.

Should be a fun game, happy to see hockey again!

go nucks go!

Archived