The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] VAN vs EDM - Sep 18, 2013 - 7PM

Strombone1

Looks like Schroeds is a lock....good, he earned that 3c spot. I think the talk of Richardson there was more to keep motivation up for everyone but realistically MG isn't going to mess with this kids head now. He deserves the spot and its his to lose...good.

My guess for season starting lines then becomes

Sedins Kassian

Burrows Kesler (Shink/Booth)

Higgins Schroeder Hanse

Gaunce/Weiss Richardson RW

Don't mind that at all...

There are specific buyout windows where buyouts are allowed. The ones available this summer have passed. The only reason Gomez was able to be bought out prior to the season is they made a special exception after realizing some teams would just sit players to make sure they didn't get injured so they could be bought out at the first available opportunity after the season. That exception doesn't exist prior to this season.

Near the end of my post, I suggested that it allow for an option of Hamhuis-Tanev, who have had some of the best overall stats together of any D pairing the Canucks have used in recent years.

It would be a big step up for Tanev, as he usually plays sheltered minutes. However, those good numbers with Hamhuis were during the rare situations when Tanev faced high level quality of competition so he might prove himself ready (at least with the steadying presence of Hamhuis playing alongside him).

It does leave a bit of a quandry as to what to do with Edler.

Edler-Garrison has been a strong pairing (some great numbers last season).

And we don't have large enough samples for Corrado to make any meaningful predictions.

For something like Garrison-Bieksa and Hamhuis-Tanev to work, one of Corrado or Weber would need to have a strong enough showing to make the top-six D as a starter and also show some good chemistry with Edler. However, if that could happen, the Canucks would have a very balanced starting six.

I admit that the more likely scenario is Hamhuis-Bieksa (primary shutdown option and all-around minute munchers), Edler-Garrison (primary offensive unit and pairing with Sedins at 5v5 and on 1st PP unit), and ?????-Tanev (Tanev and a partner to be determined play sheltered minutes providing safe, low-event defense against weaker competition). Torts has ridden a top-four for high minutes in the past and probably will take a similar approach with this team.

However, preseason is the time to try other options and a strong, balanced starting six Ds might prove to be a good alternative to playing four guys for 24+ minutes per game each.

Anyway, the initial post was merely to suggest that Garrison-Bieksa was actually a pretty successful pairing last season. I wasn't trying to open the big can of worms that is the overall D configuration on this team. At least not based on one preseason game's lineup. ;)

The veteran d pairings that have been skating in practice have been

Hamhuis-Corrado

Garrison-Bieksa

Edler-Tanev

We've seen these pairings so far translate to preseason with Hamhuis-Corrado playong in the 1st game and now Garrison-Bieksa playing tonight. Obviously way to early in preseason and practice to say these will be the pairings for sure. But it's worth mentioning for discussion purposes that's what they are doing right now.

That brings us back to my original question: who would trade for him considering his injury history and large cap hit? I'll add to that by asking if he's playing well enough to up his trade value and make that possible, why would we trade him since the return would still likely be low?

The problem with playing them together is... who plays with Hamhuis? Edler on his off-hand? That has disaster written all over it.

Does Tanev slot into the top pairing? Corrado? I thought Garrison was our best player at playing his off hand and Bieksa for all his brain-farts is still our best RHD by a long shot...

Archived