The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Don’t Re-sign the Sedin Twins

hockeyfan87

At the end of the day, this is a business. It's like anyone of us, if we want to keep our jobs, we have to be on top and keep to our potential. If the Sedins can't do that, they should be held accountable. IMHO, nobody should be an untouchable, except for our young, potential players that show promise and we want to keep. For example, Kassian, Tanev, Stanton, Lack and obviously all our blue chip prospects.

So do we start panicking and trade the Sedins immediately this offseason? Absolutely not, but if we start rolling into next season and Daniel is still looking like a 30-40 point player, then yes, we do start looking into trading them.

Gretzky was traded before. Anybody can be traded at any time. This isn't a father-son relationship here, everybody has to work to keep their jobs, especially if you make $7M per year. This might also be an opportunity for the Sedins to head over to a contending team and maybe win the cup, as I'm sure they wouldn't want to retire without a cup.

Remember how everyone was surprised when the Flyers traded Richards and Carter? Well, the same can happen here...

This could go one of two ways...

A.. Prospects hit the ground running, mesh well with vets, & the twins keep leading a deeper, younger team towards greater heights.

B.. Youth needs more time, we finish lower, next coupla' yrs(& collect more higher-end picks). Twins show the youth professionalism/leadership, for a yr or two. When they've a couple yrs remaining, send them to a stronger Eastern team, for more prospects/picks. We could take back a poor, expiring contract; or eat 3-4 mil of their 14 mill-cap, IF it ensures a nice return.

We should stop complaining about the twins. Some of their 7 mill-hit, should be accepted in acknowledging they've been underpaid with their current contracts.

Should they under-perform, I wouldn't be surprised if they made ANOTHER substantial donation to an excellent cause..that's the kind of people they are.

At the end of the day, this is a business. It's like anyone of us, if we want to keep our jobs, we have to be on top and keep to our potential. If the Sedins can't do that, they should be held accountable. IMHO, nobody should be an untouchable, except for our young, potential players that show promise and we want to keep. For example, Kassian, Tanev, Stanton, Lack and obviously all our blue chip prospects.

So do we start panicking and trade the Sedins immediately this offseason? Absolutely not, but if we start rolling into next season and Daniel is still looking like a 30-40 point player, then yes, we do start looking into trading them.

Gretzky was traded before. Anybody can be traded at any time. This isn't a father-son relationship here, everybody has to work to keep their jobs, especially if you make $7M per year. This might also be an opportunity for the Sedins to head over to a contending team and maybe win the cup, as I'm sure they wouldn't want to retire without a cup.

Remember how everyone was surprised when the Flyers traded Richards and Carter? Well, the same can happen here...

Problem is no one would take them if that was the scenario. The Sedins can only be traded as a package because nobody will want just one. Of course nobody is going to agree to take on $14M in cap hit and salary per year for a pair of declining old players. Their contracts may be more untradeable than Luongo's.

I’m a diehard Canucks fan and I’m going to bring up some unfortunate truths about the current situation this franchise finds itself in.

Let me ask you, the reader, whether you believe the Canucks will win the cup this year or sometime in the next several years? Are we better than the Chicago Blackhawks or the Pittsburgh Penguins?

By committing to the Sedins with new contracts we are also committing to the core of this team for the next four to five years. We’re committing to one of the older cores in the league that already statistically is trending downwards.

The ultimate goal for this franchise should be to win the Stanley Cup at all costs. Re-signing the Sedins means we won’t but good enough to win the Stanley Cup but we also won’t be bad enough to get the high draft picks that are so desperately necessary to compete for a Stanley Cup on year in year out basis.

It goes without saying that these top draft picks are invariably the key pieces that make up a vast majority of Stanley Cup winning teams. The Pittsburgh Penguins have Malkin and Crosby. The Chicago Blackhawks have Toews and Kane. The Los Angeles Kings have Doughty. The Boston Bruins are the only exception when it comes to a recent Stanley Cup winning team having a top five overall draft pick as a core part of the team.

The Sedins are arguably the best players in the history of the Canucks but would anyone doubt that their best accomplishments are behind them?

A lot of people, myself included, believe we have several prospects that in the future should pay dividends but are these going to be the key difference makers that finally push this team over the hump and win us a Stanley Cup?

A very optimistic view would believe that Bo Horvat develops into another Kesler in a few years and Shinkaruk a 30 goal scorer but if this were to happen would it do anything other than address the declining production from the Sedins and Burrows?

Subconsciously I think much of the fan base already realizes we won’t win a Stanley Cup with the Sedin twins anymore. The window has closed. This is the least amount of excitement there has been for this franchise since the last year of Nonis in ’08.

The Edmonton Oiler or Pittsburgh Penguin model of tanking to acquire may not be adviseable from a business perspective but neither is a decade of mediocrity. I know I will be the subject of criticism from fans who blindly worship our team but I believe the best path to winning the cup in the future does not involve re-signing the Sedin twins.

I was ok with re-signing the twins. But not for the 7 million per year they received from MG. How could everyone but the powers to be not see their decline in play. Even your average Joe who doesn't know what an off side is, can see the twins aren't top tier players anymore. I see us going no where with the twins leading the way.

How is it unfair when you look at Parise's salary and recent production at the time of signing? Plus that cap hit will be there unit he's 38. On top of that it was signed at a time the cap was known to be dropping, not increasing as projected now.

Who is suggesting 8m? I'm not. Cap hit will depend largely on the length of the deal is what I'm suggesting.

Two years at $5m would be a complete insult imo. And I'm not suggesting a 5 year deal at 7m per either. I think you're confusing salary and cap hit. I could see a five year deal that starts with a reasonable raise and ends with a smaller salary that brings the cap hit down.

Btw, I believe those of you thinking they'll waive their ntc at the trade deadline if they aren't re-signed are dreaming. I think they'd be more inclined to play out their current deal and return to Sweden to finish their careers rather than relocating for a few months if Gillis chooses not to sign them. They wouldn't be the first to refuse to waive an ntc.

Well, looks like this argument is moot now , wouldnt you agree?

I wish he went with 2 years , even if he had to give them 7 mil bucks. If the twins honestly wanted to just walk out over term, then we probably miscalculated where their loyalties lie.

The only way we can spin this I suppose is that Gillis gave them extra money to stay during the rebuild. I probably dont buy it, but its a line of logic .

Their contracts are going to hamper this team. Gillis should have gave them a 2 year extension only, at 5.5-6 million. Another bad contract signed by Gillis. I know the Sedins probably wanted the longer term/money, but common Mike, you can't tell they are on the downslope of their careers?

This guy nailed it.

I love the what have you done for me lately attitude on these boards. Hope I don't see any of you at 22's and 33's number retirement ceremony.

you reward PAST accomplishments with a ceremony and as you mentioned number retirement..

I don't understand the logic of giving them a ton of cash that will cripple the team because they USED to be good..(which is apparently what your implying)

Contracts should ONLY be given out for future Projected performance. Period.

MG did not see what everyone else saw apparently (that they were declining) And thought they would be 7 million dollar performers for another 4 years. Once again, MG has failed miserably

I've always been a fan of the Sedins effort, skill and class but sadly enough i came to the realization a while back that they don't have what it takes to get this team to the next level.

Really it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone we are struggling when we are relying on soft players like the Sedins and Edler.

The signing of these 3 players was our demise and now i don't know if it can be fixed with MG soft approach at making trades.

you reward PAST accomplishments with a ceremony and as you mentioned number retirement..

I don't understand the logic of giving them a ton of cash that will cripple the team because they USED to be good..(which is apparently what your implying)

Contracts should ONLY be given out for future Projected performance. Period.

MG did not see what everyone else saw apparently (that they were declining) And thought they would be 7 million dollar performers for another 4 years. Once again, MG has failed miserably

Totally agree.

I always thought giving a huge contract based on the 20 games at the start of the season was a bad idea. I'm not against re-signing them, but the price tag was pretty high for a contract that ends in their late 30's.

Archived