The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waiver Wire] Oilers Claim Steve MacIntyre

Mods, if this should go in the "Minor Signings Thread", please move it (made a new topic because this was not a signing).

Interesting claim by the Oilers. Objectively it makes sense since they have a lot of young skilled players to protect. It's more interesting since this is also coming in the wake of Weise's and Kassian's plays (in the process of being reviewed with suspensions looming). Sestito might have his work cut out for him.

Great! Now we can watch him & Sestito have like a dozen tilts over the coming months.

Get fighting out of hockey, already. The IIHF has it right. They fight sometimes in IIHF too...if a player really wants to fight. It's just not a somewhat permissable or promoted type of conduct - out there. The consequences in IIHF & other leagues are severe enough to be actual deterents.

IIHF game-misconducts & suspensions for "repeatedly fighting" makes players & coaches think about what they are about to do....or who they will put upon the ice. Players truly develop some restraint & a greater respect for their opponents. When....oh when...will the NHL follow suit? Gotta ask the league's king-pin Jeremy Jacobs that question....I suppose.

The BUF/TOR brawlings...should be absolutely repugnant to these Pros. But - with permissible fighting & condoned vigilantism still being bred into our NHLers...as normal hockey culture...why are we surprised that it happened? I bet there are some minds at the NHL's head office,.. who are secretly gleeful over this incident. To those traditionalists...violence in the NHL sells their brand of hockey, in their traditional markets,...best.

Let, SESTITO SHINE.

This is the West. Heavyweights are needed. Some serious nastiness coming down in the next few years from Edmonton, L.A. and San Jose. Sestito, Kassian Weise will have their work cut out.

I wonder what happens when Brown runs one of the Sedins with Kassian the Disturbed on that line...

Any goon out there will have to answer the bell while the Canucks destroy the league in the greatest fashion.

I really like Gillis and Tortorella. This is a great mix. It allows Sestito to have a chance, as well as many others.

Great! Now we can watch him & Sestito have like a dozen tilts over the coming months.

Get fighting out of hockey, already. The IIHF has it right. They fight sometimes in IIHF too...if a player really wants to fight. It's just not a somewhat permissable or promoted type of conduct - out there. The consequences in IIHF & other leagues are severe enough to be actual deterents.

IIHF game-misconducts & suspensions for "repeatedly fighting" makes players & coaches think about what they are about to do....or who they will put upon the ice. Players truly develop some restraint & a greater respect for their opponents. When....oh when...will the NHL follow suit? Gotta ask the league's king-pin Jeremy Jacobs that question....I suppose.

The BUF/TOR brawlings...should be absolutely repugnant to these Pros. But - with permissible fighting & condoned vigilantism still being bred into our NHLers...as normal hockey culture...why are we surprised that it happened? I bet there are some minds at the NHL's head office,.. who are secretly gleeful over this incident. To those traditionalists...violence in the NHL sells their brand of hockey, in their traditional markets,...best.

Hockey is an aggressive traditional contact sport. I'm not so naive as to think that, with intense rivalries.. or when caught up in a desperate play-off series - that fighting won't occur. There are also allowances in a game for the subjective...roughing calls.The difference being... that rules in practically every other league deter "fighting" signifigantly...'cuz thei consequences are more dire.

Increased penalties like game misconducts, fines & suspensions for repeatedly-fighting would deter:

- the obiligatory staged-fighting between goons (3 fights you're suspended, a game or more plus fined)

- picking a fight with an unsuspecting opponent just to "spark" your team.

- retaliation nonsence going back & forth...on & on...until there's an on-ice brawl

Reactionary fights occur spontaneously. I can understand how players might get all insensed, inflammatory & pugilistic out there. But pre-meditated revenge like... the Duncan Keith crap...the Ben Eager crap...& the typical Steve MacIntyre crap...I should like to see eradicated from this glorious sport. Wouldn't you?

This is how other leagues endeavor to protect the long-term health of their athletes. This is how other leagues help to protect their partners from lawsuits. This is how the NHL can ensure that their sport is stocked with more of the "best" athletes, as ice-hockey players, in the future.

Archived