The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kassian hype?

malachi

I know I'm going to get flamed for this as my first post, I'm a longtime huge Canuck fan but Kassian is possibly the most over-rated (hyped)Canuck of all time. He needs a full year in the AHL getting huge minutes to work on his play/hands, AND his skating. He skates worse then Dana Murzyn, and is horrible in his own end. He looks lost trying to cover anyone. The guy is not consistent NHL caliber. Horvat already looks way better at 18 years old. Horvat just got sent back to the OHL and Kassian NEEDS to get sent down as well. I can't believe so many of you think he's a first line player with the twins. He's nowhere near a first line NHL player. He could be but needs time in the minors to improve.

Horvat - 9th overall in one of the deepest drafts ever

Kassian - 13th? overall in an average draft

Who do you think is projected going to be better? Whether he's overrated or not is generally due to media hype

I do agree that he isn't a 1st line player (yet?) and needs to be more consistent, I think most fans can acknowledge this. Kassian has improved since we acquired him, progress is all we can expect.

190% agree, plus his hockey IQ is maybe the worst on the team. Seems like a good fit for the Sedin's..... However I don't think the AHL is going to do anything for him, he's been there for years. He is progressing, slowly like powerforwards do and has the skills to be in the NHL now. If Torts can get him in better shape and grind the lazy out of him he could be a very nice fit in the bottom 6. I'm not convinced he's anything more than that in the first place.

Well ya made yer first post an attention getter that's for sure. Probably locked by page 2.

But how is he over rated? And more overrated than Tochkin? Ebbett? Rodin? Stojanov? come on now. The most overrated is a bit of a laugh.

He will survive if he is left to gel with the team. He's a prototypical PWF and will develop about the same rate and length of time as a solid defenseman. They take time....

So no, he's fine. Leave him to play, he provides something this team doesn't have end of story.

Added, Gillis cannot send him down or else he basically adits failure in the Hodgson trade and that would be professional suicide right now

I dont understand why everyone wants him on the 1st with the Sedins. His hockey IQ is horrible, if hes not getting a tap in, hes not doing anything else other than gliding around the ice lost.

His hits? Pretty weak, and I've never seen someone miss as many hits and run into/hit the boards as Kassian.

He really needs to change this season and be a much improved version of last year. He wouldnt of been in the NHL for these many games if he hadnt been traded for Hodgson, and we had developed him.

He can work himself up to the 1st line from the bottom.

I haven't seen all the hype you're referring to. Most people see him as a prospect, with the tools to become a force.

He has the physical tools to become exactly what this team has lacked since Bertuzzi left town, but most people would agree that he has a lot of work to do to sharpen the mental aspects of his game.

With the right handling we could have a gem, but we could also have another Taylor Pyatt / Steve Bernier. Both of those guys had just as much hype, if not more than Kassian, when they arrived here.

I know I'm going to get flamed for this as my first post, I'm a longtime huge Canuck fan but Kassian is possibly the most over-rated (hyped)Canuck of all time. He needs a full year in the AHL getting huge minutes to work on his play/hands, AND his skating. He skates worse then Dana Murzyn, and is horrible in his own end. He looks lost trying to cover anyone. The guy is not consistent NHL caliber. Horvat already looks way better at 18 years old. Horvat just got sent back to the OHL and Kassian NEEDS to get sent down as well. I can't believe so many of you think he's a first line player with the twins. He's nowhere near a first line NHL player. He could be but needs time in the minors to improve.

Archived