The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Things you think Torts does better than AV

Giant Inflatable Beaver

I was one of the few here screaming that AV should have been fired years ago but lets not completely forget what he did accomplish here. He did some good things for this team, and should also be remembered for them, not just the negative

The accomplishments the team did have under AV were in spite of him. The moron was a giant handicap and is the biggest reason we didn't win a cup.

Its been 12 games.... Overall AV had a very good tenure here, i dno why everyone wants to bash him.. IMO he simply wore out his welcome here. Should of been fired a year earlier and that's nothing against AV. Coaches have a short shelf live, we'll see how long Torts is.

People who bash AV need to realize that his style involved having the players take responsibility for their own play and the locker room. Obviously the last few years they were adrift and after so long not focusing on the head coach - AV was unable to motivate them.

Makes sense why AV's style isn't gelling right away in NY - those guys are used to relying on their coach to hold them accountable every step of the way. It's like a bunch of kids with overbearing parents moving out on their own for the first time to college. This is opposed to VAN where our guys were desperate for some leadership and direction.

Its been 12 games.... Overall AV had a very good tenure here, i dno why everyone wants to bash him.. IMO he simply wore out his welcome here. Should of been fired a year earlier and that's nothing against AV. Coaches have a short shelf live, we'll see how long Torts is.

I think Torts will retire shortly after he has left his mark as our head coach. He is 55 already and I think he will be here as long as the Sedins are. He is also great at developing young players(apart of the reason he was probably brought here) and we will have a huge youth movement next year. The next few years are going to be interesting.

Don't forget guys, we won 2 presidents trophy with him, countless division titles, 2 western conference titles, under him, we saw our 1st Presidents trophy

back to back art ross winning players

Selke Winner

Under him we had the best offence with the combination of best defence, best powerplay and 2nd best pk in the leauge all under him, at any given moment. A.V is a very good coach. It's just that his time ran out here. Oh yea, almost won a Stanley cup under him. So in the end, A.V is a great coach also.

Don't forget guys, we won 2 presidents trophy with him, countless division titles, 2 western conference titles, under him, we saw our 1st Presidents trophy

Selke Winner

Under him we had the best offence with the combination of best defence, best powerplay and 2nd best pk in the leauge all under him, at any given moment. A.V is a very good coach. It's just that his time ran out here. Oh yea, almost won a Stanley cup under him. So in the end, A.V is a great coach also.

True.. One thing we've learned about Torts? He isn't a bullsh*tter... his praise of AV and his staff is genuine.

Selke Winner

This.

I disagree with people saying AV was/is a bad coach. Guy made us into an elite team. It was just time for a change and I'm glad for who we got.

Gillis should have fired the gum chewing idiot as soon as he took control. Every year AV had was a year we could have had an actual NHL coach.

I dont think Torts was up for grabs then so as it played out it worked very well for us. AV is history now and water under the bridge. When we acquired Torts, we got a dandy.

Class act.

I agree with you. Torts is a class act. I like to watch his interviews because he is a no BS guy. He shared a lot of true character with us talking about his NY buddies and sharing little tidbits about them. A no nonesense guy when it comes to hockey but a compassionate and feeling person when it comes to those who mean a lot to him. Good for you Torts, I like that caring side of you. It images you as a feeling person not just a hockey coach.

Class act.

Oh come on, you don't think AV was a good man and did his fair share for the community? I love Torts and his human side in being friends with these needy children, but implying AV didn't do community services too is ridiculous.

The thing I think Torts beats AV at is being outspoke and HONEST. If a player is sucking, Torterella will call them on it, and I think that's the thing the Canucks were missing at times in years past.

I thought AV was great and played a smart game until other teams found out how to exploit it (play extremely physical). Torts is responding to teams that want to play physical.

What I love most about Torts though is the come backs. If we were under AV and got scored on the first shot (which has happened 4~ games this year, I heard?), we would be deflated and demotivated. Torts makes them come back harder and recently we end up getting the goals back quickly.

Producing hockey worth watching. I was so beyond sick of trying to win 1-0 every game. The team now is way more aggressive.

Using the Sedins. I told you the world wouldn't end if you split the Sedins or used them on a PK. AV's stubborness with playing the Sedins in the same situation over and over and his phobic dread of trying any experimentation with them was ridiculous.

Archived