The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

#Blackfish

NucksPatsFan

Blackfish is a CNN documentary about Orca Whales and why keeping them captivated is dangerous and cruel. It originally aired at this year's Sun Dance film festival and was premiered on CNN a couple weeks ago I believe.

It's on CNN right now (6pm-8pm) and will be on again tonight from 9-11.

Anyone watch this? What are your thoughts/opinions? I honestly had very little education on whales and them being captivated and whatnot, but an hour into this and it's heart breaking but mesmerizing and amazing at the same time.

It's incredible because I'm learning how smart and intelligent these whales are and how their lives in their natural habitats are very social and similar to human life.

It's heart breaking because of the stories of captivity, for example a female orca gave birth, the calf when old enough was taken away to be shipped to Florida, and the mother orca made noises that trainers had never heard before. It turns out they were long range cries, she was trying to reach out to her calf.

www.blackfishmovie.com

Strongly recommend this one as well. I saw it a while back.

I used to go to the Oak Bay marina where Tilkum used to be, and it kicked off a fascination with whales and dolphins that has lasted most of my life.

Sad to see how these creatures are treated in the these situations.

Folks, don't give them your money.

Just watched the last 1/2 hour of it or so. I really don't get where PETA comes from sometimes. They say whales like Tillicum (old and sick) as they put it, should be released into the ocean. Do they not realise they couldn't survive for any length of time?

I agree that they should no longer bring new whales into captivity or breed for captivity. But releasing basically defensless whales back into the wild is a death sentance.

Just watched the last 1/2 hour of it or so. I really don't get where PETA comes from sometimes. They say whales like Tillicum (old and sick) as they put it, should be released into the ocean. Do they not realise they couldn't survive for any length of time?

I agree that they should no longer bring new whales into captivity or breed for captivity. But releasing basically defensless whales back into the wild is a death sentance.

Haven't watched the documentary and I don't know enough about whales to comment on this specific subject, but PETA basically believes that animals are better off dead than being in captivity. They don't even believe in owning pets, that's why they kill so many of their animals.

Fascinating documentary that exposes the coverups that have gone on in regards to captive killer whales being a lethal threat to the trainers.

That one part where the whale grabs the trainer by the foot and repeatedly takes him to the bottom for 1minute+ stretches gave me shivers and scary dreams.

Riveting, would watch again.

^sigh

Human arrogance is too much some times. Do you not realize that whales, and all life forms, have been living and dying naturally for millions of years. This whole idea of environmental management is laughable. What ever did creatures great and small do without the meddling oversight of us puny humans, who are but a blip on the radar of this planets history.

Haven't watched the documentary and I don't know enough about whales to comment on this specific subject, but PETA basically believes that animals are better off dead than being in captivity. They don't even believe in owning pets, that's why they kill so many of their animals.

I believe the suggestion was that they take these animals into a penned inclosure in the open ocean to allow them to experience the rhythm and movements of their natural habitat. Who knows? Orcas are incredibly social and would most surely recognize one of their own even after decades of separation.

whales are mammals, not "blackfish". Amurica just got stupider.

I believe the suggestion was that they take these animals into a penned inclosure in the open ocean to allow them to experience the rhythm and movements of their natural habitat. Who knows? Orcas are incredibly social and would most surely recognize one of their own even after decades of separation.

whales are mammals, not "blackfish". Amurica just got stupider.

These animals are very intelligent and travel hundreds of miles in the ocean. Then we put them in a swimming pool. It's stupid to even have to ask if they should be kept in captivity. Most animals for that matter. The only exception being perhaps rescue animals who can't survive and have a large enough enclosure. Which simply isn't possible with whales.

I watched most of this last night. (tuned in a bit late) It seems fairly obvious to me that SeaWorld is turning a blind eye to a serious problem.

Tilikum especially, is a dangerous animal and should no longer interact with trainers in performances. What I found interesting is that he has been used so extensively for breeding purposes, a large percentage of the Orcas in captivity are part of his gene pool.

I don't know if his aggressiveness can be pssed on to younger generations, but if so, the consequences are truly frightening...

One other point that I thought was extremely important was how these water parks take Orcas who may have been captured hundreds of mile apart, put them in the same enclosures and call them a "family". The reality is that these animals are complete strangers to each other, speak different languages and are likely to be quite aggressive to one another. Injuries and even deaths, are not uncommon.

I watched most of this last night. (tuned in a bit late) It seems fairly obvious to me that SeaWorld is turning a blind eye to a serious problem.

Tilikum especially, is a dangerous animal and should no longer interact with trainers in performances. What I found interesting is that he has been used so extensively for breeding purposes, a large percentage of the Orcas in captivity are part of his gene pool.

I don't know if his aggressiveness can be pssed on to younger generations, but if so, the consequences are truly frightening...

One other point that I thought was extremely important was how these water parks take Orcas who may have been captured hundreds of mile apart, put them in the same enclosures and call them a "family". The reality is that these animals are complete strangers to each other, speak different languages and are likely to be quite aggressive to one another. Injuries and even deaths, are not uncommon.

Pretty sure it was just 55% of the Seaworld Orcas are related to him, not all of the whales in captivity.

Archived