The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Extension] Emelin Gets Four Years

Pierre LeBrun@Real_ESPNLeBrun 1m

Not sure why some Habs fans think team overpaid for Emelin, top-4 D, shutdown blue-liner, would have made more on open market next summer

Bob McKenzie@TSNBobMcKenzie 4m

MTL has 4 D on expiring deals. Markov, Diaz, Bouillon UFA, Subban RFA. Newport Sports, which did Emelin deal, reps all but Bouillon.

Volchenkov is $4.25 M a year in NJ, Bieksa is $4.6 M a year in Van.... Emelin's deal is within the market parameters

Not sure I would compare Emelin to Bieksa... Emelin's not putting up 30+ points per year.

Hmm, I'd be more happy as a Canadiens fan if the deal were between $3M-$3.5M. However, we all saw how badly the Canadiens collapsed defensively after he went down last year, so it makes sense why they forked out a little more.

Not sure why some Habs fans think team overpaid for Emelin, top-4 D, shutdown blue-liner, would have made more on open market next summer

Bob McKenzie@TSNBobMcKenzie 4m

MTL has 4 D on expiring deals. Markov, Diaz, Bouillon UFA, Subban RFA. Newport Sports, which did Emelin deal, reps all but Bouillon.

Volchenkov is $4.25 M a year in NJ, Bieksa is $4.6 M a year in Van.... Emelin's deal is within the market parameters

Not sure I would compare Emelin to Bieksa... Emelin's not putting up 30+ points per year.

LeBrun is smoking the green stuff. Comparing Bieksa to Emelin is like comapring Tanev to Doughty..... different players used for different roles. Let's be clear about Emelin. He is NOT a shutdown d-man, they've haven't used him that way in MTL. Bieksa is a shutdown d-man who eats the toughest minutes.

Not to mention, Emelins never put of the type of points or played the amount of minutes Bieksa did. Also, Emelins played only 2 yrs in the NHL. Bieksa had 5 1/2 yrs in the NHL when he signed his deal. And despite playing wayyy easier minutes, Emelin doesn't have half as good as underlying #'s as Bieksa.

Bieksa and Phanuef are comparables, not Bieksa and Emelin. Bieksa took as massive hometown discount which is why he's only making $4.6M and Phaneufs about to get $7+M. Emelin is severely overpaid.

LeBrun is smoking the green stuff. Comparing Bieksa to Emelin is like comapring Tanev to Doughty..... different players used for different roles. Let's be clear about Emelin. He is NOT a shutdown d-man, they've haven't used him that way in MTL. Bieksa is a shutdown d-man who eats the toughest minutes.

Not to mention, Emelins never put of the type of points or played the amount of minutes Bieksa did. Also, Emelins played only 2 yrs in the NHL. Bieksa had 5 1/2 yrs in the NHL when he signed his deal. And despite playing wayyy easier minutes, Emelin doesn't have half as good as underlying #'s as Bieksa.

Bieksa and Phanuef are comparables, not Bieksa and Emelin. Bieksa took as massive hometown discount which is why he's only making $4.6M and Phaneufs about to get $7+M. Emelin is severely overpaid.

Bieksa...a shut down dman...I think you're smoking the green stuff

Um, yah -- where have you been the last few years? Look at behind the net, take a look at what type of minutes he's played over last few years then get back to me about your comment.

I think he's confusing style of play with role.

Bieksa logs top minutes and goes against other teams top lines. That makes him a shutdown D-man.

guess we changed the meaning of "shutdown" dman. I thought they had to actually be good defensively. guess not.

Shutdown defenseman has always meant playing against opponents top lines. Bieksa has done this, and produced high end underlying numbers in the process. So yes, he is great defensivly despite what you may believe.

Emeline has not done either.

Archived