The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Top Sci-Fi Films Tournament

Spoderman

At least we agree there.

Source material is also an abomination to how viruses actually spread nonetheless. Still better than the movie I guess.

Ever heard of the wilful suspension of disbelief? It seems it would make your life a little less boring.

Yes, it'd be fine if 99% of the already scientifically illiterate world got that part about Hollywood science being BS. All it does it mislead the masses more when they are already so ignorant about the issue. When something actually is accurate and entertaining in its realistic thought experiment of society, it's too boring for you Michael Bay type folks.

I take it you're a viral pathology student.

Bingo.

Hollywood is never going to accurately depict any form of scientific study, sorry about that. Entertainment is entertainment, if a movie gets the facts right it doesn't get a free pass it still has to not suck.

total recall (1990)

akira

Good ones! And I must say that I didn't mind the newer Total Recall. Though I did hear nothing but bad things about it before I watched it and I find that really skews my thoughts on a movie. If I go in expecting nothing the movie doesn't have to be that good to beat those expectations LOL.

I'll admit I'm quite anal about it but I've seen a lot of movies where the BS science does not detract from the entertainment factor. Contagion is a great movie that transcends its genre requirements. I'm curious to know exactly why you didn't like it, so far I've gotten "LOL" and "sucks at every level".

It was an hour and a half of pandering while nobody accomplished anything. May have been the biggest waste of theatre admission ever.

So should I still make this a tournament, or should I just keep this as people listing their favourite Sci-Fi flims?

Haha yeah, that's why I haven't named any - the movies that come to mind for me probably won't qualify as a top sci-fi film.

Also, I've never watched Star Wars (except the last one), so I don't know if my opinions on this topic counts.

CJ7 is a guilty pleasure of mine.

lots of nods to Steven Chow's previous films, and very funny in it's own right.

OMG, yes! I can't believe I totally forgot about this movie. I remember loving it when I saw it.

Stephen Chow is one of my all-time fave actors. You almost can't go wrong with any of his movies; especially the ones from the 90s.

I'd say my favourite Sci-fi movie by far is Blade Runner, but the best one is 2001. I don't even think it's really a question, lol. Would put Blade Runner second on that list either way, though.

it's literally a high point for all movies, regardless of genre. masterpiece

Archived