The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Whisky (Whiskey) thread

King Heffy

17 minutes ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

Talking strictly Bourbons in that price range, I’d rate them in this order by personal preference (from those I have tried):

1.) Maker’s Mark 

From your previous comments I gather this one isn’t your favourite, however I really enjoy the bite and the smokiness (without being overbearing). The flavour is there but not as flavourful as the Four Roses. But for my taste the bite and the right level of smoke is what puts this one on top for me.

2.) Four Roses

A bit strange to be my #2 as it’s very different (from Maker’s Mark). A delicious and smooth sipping Bourbon. Although I thoroughly enjoy it, I sometimes long for a bit more bite and smoke while drinking it, although the flavour and smoothness makes up for that shortcoming. I could easily drink this one all night.

3.) Buffalo Trace

It was hard not to put this one in the #2 spot. I really enjoy the flavour, bite, and smokiness. The only reason I would put it slightly lower is more of a personal issue, as the intense smokiness can sometimes give me a headache and make me feel a little worse for wear the next day. An issue I don’t seem to have with the slightly dialed down smokiness of the Maker’s Mark.

4.) Knob Creek (9 year aged)

Although I enjoyed this one, it just didn’t have the bite or smoke that I was looking for compared to the others. Similar to Four Roses but without as much flavour. However, I must confess that your appreciation for it makes me think maybe I should give it another try. 

5.) Bulliet 

So many of my friends and colleagues like this one, and although I did appreciate it for what it was, in my opinion it would be better suited in an Old Fashioned as opposed to being sipped neat, which is how I enjoy my Bourbons. 

I would be interested to hear your rankings and why, and if you had any other recommendations in that price range for me to try. Cheers!

Ok.  Good list!!!

For myself, if we're in the price point I mentioned I'll run more like this

1. Knob Creek (9 year)

I Can drink this all night.  It's just...so I dunno.  Perfect for sipping.

2. Basil Hayden 

It's a staple.  I have to have a bottle in my stock at all times.  

3. Elijah Craig

if you're a bourbon drinker you know why.  

4.  Legent

Super underrated but such a good clean tip.

5.  Buffalo Trace

W all know why.

Special mention to

Old Grand-Dad

Old Forester 1897/1920

PXL_20230213_044413544.jpg

PXL_20230213_044644384.jpg

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

It's lovely to pop into, sometimes I'll pop in if I'm on my way up to Campbell River

Vancouver island liquor doesn't get enough credit tbh, we've got some great distilleries 

Shelter Point is the whisky one, certainly, but there are others that offer good spirits as well, and quite a few breweries across the island too

Shelter Point makes one of the best smokey whiskeys I have ever had.  Smoke point.

Their single barrel is also really nice.

BC distillers are so underrated 

34 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Shelter Point makes one of the best smokey whiskeys I have ever had.  Smoke point.

Their single barrel is also really nice.

BC distillers are so underrated 

I really dig their Smoke point, I used to buy whatever new thing they put out and had a crack at their first bottling of it, it was definitely different experiencing a Canadian take on an Isla 

Their other versions have been great

Yeah, I love their atrisanal single malt

They actually have a really nice gin they do too, they also dabbled in small batch vodka for a bit but I think it's been a few years since they be done that

They really are, I've a soft spot for the island stuff but BC stuff is great in general 

Edited by Coconuts

42 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

It's lovely to pop into, sometimes I'll pop in if I'm on my way up to Campbell River

Vancouver island liquor doesn't get enough credit tbh, we've got some great distilleries 

Shelter Point is the whisky one, certainly, but there are others that offer good spirits as well, and quite a few breweries across the island too

Empress Gin is pretty good too.  Was pretty stoked to see it featured in some of the cocktails at the Hancock building in Chicago.

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

Empress Gin is pretty good too.  Was pretty stoked to see it featured in some of the cocktails at the Hancock building in Chicago.

It was good, but I admittedly gotta say I was a bit let down by it, it was admittedly pretty hyped up though being from the Empress and all

The colouring was fun but for whatever reason I was expecting more from it, I actually enjoyed the Shelter Point gin more, I don't see it available though so maybe it's been a while since they've done a bottling 

Sheringham's Seaside gin was better too, as is their Kazuki, their Sirene Chocolate liqueur is fantastic too with coffee, on it's own, or with a bit of crushed mint

https://www.sheringhamdistillery.com/seaside-gin/

https://www.sheringhamdistillery.com/kazuki-gin/

48 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Ok.  Good list!!!

For myself, if we're in the price point I mentioned I'll run more like this

1. Knob Creek (9 year)

I Can drink this all night.  It's just...so I dunno.  Perfect for sipping.

2. Basil Hayden 

It's a staple.  I have to have a bottle in my stock at all times.  

3. Elijah Craig

if you're a bourbon drinker you know why.  

4.  Legent

Super underrated but such a good clean tip.

5.  Buffalo Trace

W all know why.

Special mention to

Old Grand-Dad

Old Forester 1897/1920

PXL_20230213_044413544.jpg

PXL_20230213_044644384.jpg

Thanks! You’ve given me a couple new ones to try. Cheers. 

As far as the mainland goes this is one of my favourites, bought this I wanna say.. 3-4 years ago at my first winter spirit release and I can't bring myself to polish it off

Wish I could get my hands on another bottle somehow but I haven't seen it around since

20230212_214648.thumb.jpg.35e89dcd4ba2be0bdb9e4cf557bea694.jpg

On 2/11/2023 at 4:22 PM, Warhippy said:

OK first

Pike Creek.  I struggled with the rum one.  Honestly just couldn't get in to it.  Canadian rye forward whiskeys just never really hit that spot for me.  Case in point, I have a specialty bottle of Alberta Premium rye I am waiting for a friend to pick up.  I sipped a fingers worth of a glass and binned it.  I just can't and don't know why.  That being said, I went to a tasting last year; showed up late and on a friends word picked up a bottle of one of the first whiskeys they tasted.  A pike Creek 22 barrelled in Ximenez sherry casks and OMFDG it's honestly the best canadian whiskey I have EVER tasted.  I have been hunting bottles of this over the past 3 weeks since I opened it during board game night with some friends.  I opened it thinking might as well get rid of it and after the first sip immediately put it away until I could find more.  I have sourced 3 more bottles but according to Hiram Walker no more are planned for years and it is now delisted on the BCLDB website so if you find a bottle ($90-$115 depending on where you find it) BUY IT or buy two.  Trust me this is insanely good for its price point and so unique

Bear Face.  Again, I have tried.  The "mushroom" thing is fun.  Has an earthy feel and flavour to it that gives it the appearance of body it doesn't really have.  But like most bearface brands I tried a bottle and didn't get another.  

Bladnoch is great.  Honestly, again a price point like buffalo trace in that you can pick it up fairly easily and sip it all night.  You're right about it having more of a whiskey feel than a true scotch

Woodford double.  Bourbons come and go.  The price point betwee $35 and $80 is a literal ocean of mediocre bourbons.  You can literally taste the exact same thing from a dozen different bottles claiming to be "the best" but its meh.  Woodford double at $70 is honestly a cut above.  You'll see it in every single good bar's top shelf for a reason.  It is not typically sweet and you can get a single malt that has a bit more of a sweeter feel to it.  From $40-$60 the stand outs for me are Buffalo Trace.  Legent.  Bottled in Bond.  Jim Beam (black) Basil Hayden/Basil Hayden toast, Knob Creek 9 year, Nikka From the Barrel and Wyatt's Whiskey Single Barrel Blend (casked in cherry port barrels) from legends distilling

whiskey.jpeg

It's always nice to hear another's insights on what I'm drinking as we all have different tastes in the end.

I actually agree with quite of a bit of what you're saying. I don't see myself getting the Pike Creek Rum Cask nor the Bearface Matsukake again just because there wasn't really anything there that makes me want to get it again after I finish the bottles. I agree on the whole Canadian Whiskey part in general. I almost picture Canadian whiskey as having 3 outcomes for me. Either it tastes like Crown Royal and boring, it tastes like Wisers/Gibsons and... again... boring... or it's more experimental which is then hit or miss with me. As a result, there's only around 5 Canadian whiskeys I've tried that I actually care for, and maybe only 1 or 2 that I would actually buy again. It sucks for it to be that way but I can't exactly change my taste buds. lol

It's also interesting that you mention Buffalo Trace and Jim Beam Black. I actually get Jim Beam Black on a regular basis (probably more so given Wild Turkey 101 keeps going up in price). Buffalo Trace was good and I can see why it's popular but not really my jam. Knob Creek's one of my favourites though. I'll have to try Basil Hayden and Legent sometime if I can find it. Prince George leaves a bit to be desired in terms of finding these things, but maybe when I move to Calgary I'll fine myself in a mecca of whiskey. lol

• Cheers 1

On 2/13/2023 at 8:21 AM, The Lock said:

It's always nice to hear another's insights on what I'm drinking as we all have different tastes in the end.

I actually agree with quite of a bit of what you're saying. I don't see myself getting the Pike Creek Rum Cask nor the Bearface Matsukake again just because there wasn't really anything there that makes me want to get it again after I finish the bottles. I agree on the whole Canadian Whiskey part in general. I almost picture Canadian whiskey as having 3 outcomes for me. Either it tastes like Crown Royal and boring, it tastes like Wisers/Gibsons and... again... boring... or it's more experimental which is then hit or miss with me. As a result, there's only around 5 Canadian whiskeys I've tried that I actually care for, and maybe only 1 or 2 that I would actually buy again. It sucks for it to be that way but I can't exactly change my taste buds. lol

It's also interesting that you mention Buffalo Trace and Jim Beam Black. I actually get Jim Beam Black on a regular basis (probably more so given Wild Turkey 101 keeps going up in price). Buffalo Trace was good and I can see why it's popular but not really my jam. Knob Creek's one of my favourites though. I'll have to try Basil Hayden and Legent sometime if I can find it. Prince George leaves a bit to be desired in terms of finding these things, but maybe when I move to Calgary I'll fine myself in a mecca of whiskey. lol

PG shockingly has some good finds.  You actually get a lot more smaller distillery stuff and any non BC liquor store can obtain whatever they'd like from the warehouse if it's available meaning they tend to get a lot more specialized or harder to find stuff.  Shockingly, I have found more selection in PG and north than I do anywhere in the lower mainland or island/okanagan

Get that Basil Hayden, it's a staple.  Legent is always nice.  JB black, like ya said a staple again at that price point every day.  

I can't drink this alberta premium rye I have in my house.  Canadian whiskey's are by and large what you stated.  That doesn't mean there aren't quality distillers like Dubh Glass, Legends Distilling or Okanagan Spirits; but Canadian whiskey as a sub class kind of leaves me feeling very blech.  But if you find that pike creek 22 year ximenez in sherry casks BUY IT!!!!!!

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

There was a Global News article that was mentioning baby's breath as an invasive species, fyi.

https://globalnews.ca/news/9486318/babys-breath-invasive-plant/

:ph34r:

That’s actually refreshing. I’m usually on the news for completely different reasons.

• Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...

Had Ardbeg Wee Beastie and Shelter Point Smoke Point in hand. Went with the Shelter Point based on some of the earlier chatter/recommendations in here. Will open in the coming days and report back.

Hoping it’s good, as the store had 4 different Shelter Points with plenty of stock.

2 hours ago, Sp3nny said:

Had Ardbeg Wee Beastie and Shelter Point Smoke Point in hand. Went with the Shelter Point based on some of the earlier chatter/recommendations in here. Will open in the coming days and report back.

Hoping it’s good, as the store had 4 different Shelter Points with plenty of stock.

If you like a smokey whiskey without the heavy peaty taste to it you're going to love it.

My suggestions for a first tasting?  Will sound weird but trust me.

Pour your dram.  Close your eyes.  Turn off all exterior noise if possible.  Take that first sip.  It's something else.

• Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/13/2023 at 5:18 PM, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

CC51D1F9-9260-4B0E-A75E-1FBA420007EC.jpeg

A little Four Roses Bourbon out of the Tombstone glass. Cheers Fellas

re GIF

Beauty.  The small batch I got from the US is going to be a staple on my shelf for as long as I'm able to drive to the states.

People crap on Four Roses but it's a solid pour

• Cheers 1