The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Sportsnet's Dane Fox: Jets GM has been fielding calls for Evander Kane

Southpop45

Again, why would we even consider trading Horvat after what we gave up for him?

Because, as I explained in my post, he fills the one gaping void the 2013/2014 Canucks have in their line-up. I think if we fill that void with a proven goalscorer with size and durability then this is a team that has a very good chance at a Stanley Cup. I'd be willing to give up the future for a very good chance at the cup now.

Horvat doesn't help us until next year at the earliest, and he's going to be yet another solid 2-way player, on a team stacked with solid two-way players. I think he'll be better than them, and in 5 years I think I'd much rather have Horvat than Kane - but that's five years away.

It's a risk, and it's a trade-off (the future for the present) - but if it gets us the cup I'm all for it.

'It was a mistake' lol, great answer. We weren't going to buy out Luongo, that just wasn't going to happen. Horvat is going to be a special player and one of the top defensive forwards in the game.

And Kane is one of the top power forward / goal scorers in the league now. Gotta give value to get value.

And Kane is one of the top power forward / goal scorers in the league now. Gotta give value to get value.

Then we package up a guy like Edler for Kane. You don't draft the guy who you essentially traded your #1 goalie for only to trade him and not give him a chance to prove himself. I can pretty much guarantee that if we had a list of untouchable prospects, Horvat would be on it.

'It was a mistake' lol, great answer. We weren't going to buy out Luongo, that just wasn't going to happen. Horvat is going to be a special player and one of the top defensive forwards in the game.

Kane is a pretty special player now. Exactly the kind of guy that should have been targeted with Schnieds in the first place.

Then we package up a guy like Edler for Kane.

You continuing to package up Edler in a deal for Kane is mind boggling. Let me spell it out for you; "The Jets have problems scoring as it is. Trading away one of their best forwards and few players who can score for a defenseman they don't require, because of Enstrom, Byfuglien, Bogosian, Trouba, Stuart, Clitsome, makes little to no sense." If any team is going to get Kane, they are going to have to pay through the nose because Evander is a player who plays with an edge, scores goals, and is only 22 years old. So far, Winnipeg has no history of making a bad trade, so why would they start with their most coveted forward?

You continuing to package up Edler in a deal for Kane is mind boggling. Let me spell it out for you; "The Jets have problems scoring as it is. Trading away one of their best forwards and few players who can score for a defenseman they don't require, because of Enstrom, Byfuglien, Bogosian, Trouba, Stuart, Clitsome, makes little to no sense." If any team is going to get Kane, they are going to have to pay through the nose because Evander is a player who plays with an edge, scores goals, and is only 22 years old. So far, Winnipeg has no history of making a bad trade, so why would they start with their most coveted forward?

I know efler for Kane is out of the question for all the same reasons you listed above. but he does have the right idea. out blue line isn't producing right now and is waaay to expensive. what we need to do is package edler for a young scorer like kane. doesnt have to be an exact replica but a young scorer will do. obviously the team we trade with needs to have a lacking defence.

I'm thinking edler+ for skinner

or edler++ for b.schenn

*without trading boho

I know efler for Kane is out of the question for all the same reasons you listed above. but he does have the right idea. out blue line isn't producing right now and is waaay to expensive. what we need to do is package edler for a young scorer like kane. doesnt have to be an exact replica but a young scorer will do. obviously the team we trade with needs to have a lacking defence.

I'm thinking edler+ for skinner

or edler++ for b.schenn

*without trading boho

Not to get too off topic, because this thread is about the Jets, but you are 100% correct. If the Canucks were to move Edler in a deal involving a forward, a team like Carolina or Philadelphia would be where MG would target. He won't waste his time and another GMs time proposing a deal he knows won't make sense for the other party involved (ie: Winnipeg). There are plenty of teams in the NHL that look atrocious on defense (Philly, Carolina, Florida, Edmonton) that have an abundance of forwards, but lack defensemen. That's where Gillis would look at shopping Edler.

Anyone on this team or in our system except Kes and the Sedins should be expandable and if that means giving Up unproven prospects then by all means do it! All this garbage about not trading our prospects is just stupid! We need a key piece NOW while we still have a legit shot. I am sorry but if we don't do something we will become the calgary flames and never even make the playoffs let alone have a shot at the cup! Ever! Enough is enough time for gillis to actually do something!

Anyone on this team or in our system except Kes and the Sedins should be expandable and if that means giving Up unproven prospects then by all means do it! All this garbage about not trading our prospects is just stupid! We need a key piece NOW while we still have a legit shot. I am sorry but if we don't do something we will become the calgary flames and never even make the playoffs let alone have a shot at the cup! Ever! Enough is enough time for gillis to actually do something!

I agree. Everybody in the system is expandable. If people think that this is an inflated idea, they should blow themselves up. Management needs to stretch its resources NOW, or else we might float away from playoff contention forever.

buster-omg2.gif

Don't trade our prospects for a guy like Kane, they could be really good one day, one of them could even be the next Evander Kane!!

Meanwhile, the teams struggles continue.

Why not horvat and a 1st?

What the hell are we trying to do with drafting players? No one has made it big since Kesler, traded Hodgson. Might as well speed it up and trade some prospects for a young forward that can help us now. Gaunce, Jensen, Horvat, Shinkaruk good group, but are 2-3 years away from making an impact in the NHL. Could play a few games, but wont put up too much. Can this team last another 2-3 years? NO

Either a semi rebuild is needed here (2-3 yr window) or a trade for right now. In keeping Luongo over Schneider, imo MG already decided it was now or never, even if he did not have a choice.

Just wasting value of the Sedins and Kesler atm.

Unless of course the point is just to fill the stands for the regular season, in which case this would be the best way to go actually...hmmm well isn't that something, there was a plan all along......

Exactly gambling the 'now' when we are just a piece or two away from being contenders again to hold onto prospects they may or may not pan out is stupid! Getting a young stud of a player like kane in a way would be helping us now and 'protecting' our future! So why wouldn't we trade prospects for him? Why wouldn't we trade Edler for him? Everyone is expendable! Everyone but the twins and kes!!

I agree completely, Eddie would only make sense to the Jets if they traded one of their blueliners for a forward (preferably a centreman) and in that case assuming it is a centreman they would let Kane try to form chemistry with him first. So good luck with that.

In my opinion Gillis should be targeting O'Reilly, but that seems very unlikely aswell.

Archived