The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Sportsnet's Dane Fox: Jets GM has been fielding calls for Evander Kane

Southpop45

This is one player I would have no problem unloading some of our young talent for.

He's a proven 30 goal scorer and one of the best young powerforwards in the game. Unfortunately I don't think Gillis has the balls or the brains to make a move like that.

But imagine:

Sedin Sedin Kane

Burrows Kesler Kassian

A much bigger and tougher top 6. Honestly if Gillis doesn't wake up and realize this is what it's gonna take to compete against teams like LA, San Jose, and St.Louis, it's gonna be another wasted season. Right now we're just kidding ourselves if we think our top 6 in it's current form can compete with the top teams in the west in the playoffs.

Holy crap, 'dat top 6 doe.

KANE TO NUCKS???

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/hockey/jets/jetsm-notebook-232023381.html

RUMOUR CENTRAL: Somebody somewhere started it and now the bloggers, chat rooms and some mainstream media have jumped all over it: the Jets are said to be fielding calls for Evander Kane. Earlier this week in Montreal, a radio station floated this: Kane to the Canadiens for Max Pacioretty. And in Vancouver a TV type floated a rumour that the Canucks might want to package some of their prospects to land Kane.

Still just a daydream, but this is just the kinda guy we need to go out and get. He's a guy you can give up a big name guy, some prospects and high picks for with a clear conscience.

And that's exactly what it would take.

I'm not a big fan of trading Gaunce but Evander Kane is one of the few players I wouldn't hesitate to package Edler up with him. I'd even go Edler+Gaunce+Jensen+1st for Kane. If that doesn't get the Jets attention I don't know what will.

I'm not a big fan of trading Gaunce but Evander Kane is one of the few players I wouldn't hesitate to package Edler up with him. I'd even go Edler+Gaunce+Jensen+1st for Kane. If that doesn't get the Jets attention I don't know what will.

Sure glad CDC fans don't have a vote on Gillis's moves.

As both a Jets and Canucks fan, one of the prospects that the Canucks would have to part with would be Horvat or Shinkaruk. Jets don't need more defensemen (Byfuglien, Enstrom, Bogosian, Stuart, Clitsome, Trouba, Morrissey, Postma, Redmond).

Kane is a 4th overall draft pick and 50 point winger on a Jets team that has trouble scoring. He's worth more than Guance, Jensen, and a defenseman they don't require.

We don't have the assets to acquire him. Hate when people suggest we should destroy our future for one player. Sorry, but Kane is kind of overrated on here.

Actually we do. But as you pointed out the cost to attain him is likely too high and would destroy any hope of being competitive 3+ years from now.

He'd cost us one of Hansen/Higgins/Bur and Jensen, Cassels + at best. At worst one one of the roster guys and either of Horvat/Shink +.

Actually we do. But as you pointed out the cost to attain him is likely too high and would destroy any hope of being competitive 3+ years from now.

He'd cost us one of Hansen/Higgins/Bur and Jensen, Cassels + at best. At worst one one of the roster guys and either of Horvat/Shink +.

Do you really think that is "destroying" the team 3 years from now? The core is still here. Plenty of guys in the pool to take all their places plus a draft every year. Most importantly, Evander freaking Kane.

Lol people hate on Hodgson, but would sell the team for Kane. Yes Kane has more experience playing as an 18yrs old, even though he was drafted a year later, but when you look at the numbers it's pretty similar.

Kane 282 86 86 172 (Thats 0.3GPG and 0.60 PPG)

Hodgson 162 42 51 93 (Thats 0.25GPG and 0.57PPG)

DOnt get me wrong I'd like to have Kane on the team, but not at any cost. People think he's in the Tavares, Benn, Duchene, Eberle, Hall category. I'd say one notch under. I'd say he's more of a really good 2nd line player more than a superstar, in the likes of Erik Cole (for Carolina), Franzen, Horton, Kunitz, Elias, Sharp.

(i'm not comparing type of player but more the position on the depth chart)

Do you really think that is "destroying" the team 3 years from now? The core is still here. Plenty of guys in the pool to take all their places plus a draft every year. Most importantly, Evander freaking Kane.

If we start selling off a bunch of forwards we're going to NEED to contribute in 3+ years (where the Keslers and Sedins will start to decline) for one guy? Yeah I think that will leave a bit of a hole in our lineup.

People think it's bad now being a one line team...in your scenario would be a one player team...yikes.

If we start selling off a bunch of forwards we're going to NEED to contribute in 3+ years (where the Keslers and Sedins will start to decline) for one guy? Yeah I think that will leave a bit of a hole in our lineup.

People think it's bad now being a one line team...in your scenario would be a one player team...yikes.

In that scenario, we are only losing 1 roster player. Hansen/Higgins (no way Burr goes). They will be immediately replaced by Kane, and make the 3rd easier to fill out. While the twins and Kesler will innevitably decline, they will still be productive at a secondary level at least. At that time we have Kane and hopefully Kassian in their prime.

Lets say we throw them a huge package. Something like..

Horvat

Corrado

jensen

Hansen/Higgins

We still retain Gaunce and Shinkaruk, while adding Kane. That's 3 young forwards, in place of 3. Possibly even the better 3. Corrado is kind of stuck behind a locked in top 4 plus Tanev. Stanton, Santo and Richardson are all young and can be retained. Many FA's and trade opportunities will be available as always.

The most recent draftee playing on the team is Hansen, he's like 27. Spots aren't opening up on this team very quickly unless core pieces are moved, im assuming that isn't happening.

The most recent draftee playing on the team is Hansen, he's like 27. Spots aren't opening up on this team very quickly unless core pieces are moved, im assuming that isn't happening.

People need to give up this argument. Schroeder's injured but would be playing otherwise. Tanev and Lack were undrafted and are playing. Then there's the Hodgson for Kassian trade so we are playing someone from that draft in the lineup.

I get what you're saying that we don't have many spots open up for young players while we have good veteran players filling them, but that doesn't mean you move away young assets since they don't currently have a spot/aren't ready yet.

People need to give up this argument. Schroeder's injured but would be playing otherwise. Tanev and Lack were undrafted and are playing. Then there's the Hodgson for Kassian trade so we are playing someone from that draft in the lineup.

I get what you're saying that we don't have many spots open up for young players while we have good veteran players filling them, but that doesn't mean you move away young assets since they don't currently have a spot/aren't ready yet.

Well that's also my point that they don't have to be drafted. We can get players through those mentioned moves, signings, trades ect.

The idea is to stay competitive, letting this core die is not the way of doing it. None of our top futures are likely to be as good as what we have now, and none of them are currently on the team providing any points. A guy like Couture has done a lot to allow SJ to keep pushing with an aging core, maybe someone like Horvat can be a similar player, but by the time it happens, the twins are almost, or are gone. Couture is 24 and is in his fifth season.

A guy like Kane, can be our comparable now, and for the remainder of the Sedin tenure, we will have a shot in the playoffs. Sure, when they retire we may be in a similar situation as we are now, but the team will be younger overall. We will have half a decade of drafts and signings to make potentially another similar move at that time. That's how we stay on top, not by pushing the vets out to sea and then crossing our fingers Edmonton style. We won't have those 1 and 2 overall picks either.

Without a decent commitment to one side or the other, we stay mediocre. Our current team is more than capable if the moves are made. Next year we will have pretty much the same crew, with some added cap space to bring in another good player, ie Cammallari ect (just an example)

Imagine a top 9 along the lines of..

Sedin-Sedin-Burr

Kane-Kesler-Cammel

Shinkaruk-Santo/Gaunce-Higgy/Santo

Throw Kassian somewhere in there too.

Archived