The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks and Your Expectations This Season?

Dr. Crossbar

I expect to see a real hard fought and exciting regular season for a change. But, if they don't make changes or one of the other teams in the division doesn't fall off considerably, they are at serious risk of not making the playoffs. If they get in without filling some of the gaps, they might get past the first round, but I can't see them going much further.

Play hard. make playoffs. play hard. have fun watching.

/end thread

End thread, really? Come on ... I was hoping people wouldn't take the easy way out. Sure you can say play hard, make the playoffs, etc. That's easy.

But wouldn't be a bit more constructive to see if some of our expectations match up to the real world? That's obviously harder to do.

I think everyone has the same or similar expectations of the Sedins and the top liners, and Luongo, but when you get into the younger guys, 3rd or 4th liners, the call-ups, our expectations may be a bit too unrealistic. Or maybe not.

Like I said, there's no way each player on this team will average 1ppg. That we know is unrealistic. So if we know that, what do we expect from Booth, Kassian, Burrows, Schroeder, Edler, etc. - everyone really - because people are constantly questioning whether we need them?

And I know Booth is more obvious, but what do people really expect or want from him on a nightly basis - 1ppg, 2ppg, more of a playmaker, crash the net, create rushes, be more physical? It's these types of questions across the board with the team that can make for healthy discussion and ground things in the real world as far was what we expect.

Love the fresh perspective that Torts has brought. Love the pick ups that MG has gotten to shore our prospects pool. we are in the toughest division and still lacking player/pieces. I am hopeful that we can secure a wildcard position come play-off time. My high expectations are reserved for next year actually.

Booth - I'd like to see 15 goals minimum.

Kassian - He should be able to do around 20 goals, 40 points.

Schroeder - I've never really expected much from him, hope he rips it up for the Comets.

Burrows - Even without playing with the Sedins for much of the time I expect no less than 20 goals and 40 points.

Sedins - Point per game minimum for each. Hank with no less than 15 goals, Dank with no less than 30.

Kesler - 25 goals minimum, no less than 60 points.

Luongo - GAA no higher than 2.35, Sv% no lower than .915, 5 or more shutouts. How many wins that translates into is up to the rest of the team.

Garrison - 10 goals minimum, 20 to 30 assists.

Edler - 10 goals minimum, 30 to 40 assists.

Bieksa - 5 goals minimum, 25 to 35 assists.

Hamhuis - 5 goals minimum, 15 to 25 assists.

Tanev - 1 to 5 goals, 10 to 15 assists.

Stanton - See Tanev.

Santorelli - 10 goals, 10 to 20 assists.

Call ups - Very few points expected, just play well defensively to give the top 9 a break, screw up as little as possible.

This is really interesting given how low our goal production has been. I'm actually trying to wrap my brain around whether these are actually possible, because they look good on paper.

I don't think those numbers for Booth are asking too much at all. At minimum though - based on above - we're looking at four 20 goal scorers, two more likely close to 20. It's looking like we may get more than 5 goals out of Bieksa.

Overall,the Canucks have exceeded my expectations from last year,I was expecting more of a downturn from the twins...but they are more invigorated......I'm still reserving my judgement on this squad until we have a reasonably healthy group...It's the PP that's killing us at the moment,with the elite talent out there,I'm at a loss to explain why that is....

Play hard. make playoffs. play hard. have fun watching.

/end thread

This is pretty close to what I would boil all this down to, glib though it is.

I'm not sure about expectations per se; I've seen such extreme highs and lows that I think nothing would really be unexpected, by I do know what I think are good goals for the year.

The first is much as above; play hard and play a system. What I'm seeing this year is a real change in work ethic and a much greater consistency of effort, and I think that's huge. There seems to be good system in place right now, and I hope the team will focus on fine-tuning that system and playing it consistently.

I kind of hate when people refer to an NHL team as 'blue collar' ( I have a hard time considering millionaires as blue-collar ) but it's basically what I'm talking about; a hard-working team identity based on contributions from all over.

The new pick-ups all have that identity in common and I'm very happy to see that. They are workhorses and seem motivated, so I think it's not unreasonable to think that over time as the team gels we will see a broader depth of scoring to even out the streaky nature of our stars. The more the whole roster is pitching in the better the team can weather a dry spell from any given player. And I think that's a more reasonable thing to expect than our stars being 100% consistent all season.

From there, it's about making the playoffs. I want to see how much difference it would make to really earn a playoff berth rather than coast in on the back of a weak division. I want to see how this team, with this coach, perform in the playoffs playing this system, before I really think about what to expect for the future. How would this possession game play out in a 7-game series against an elite team? Can they win a series this way?

Lastly, I think there should be a long-term goal of keeping Kassian confident and letting him work out the kinks in his game. My expectations for him are to be a cornerstone of the team in the not-too-distant future. Not the next Lucic or Bertuzzi or Neely, but a reliable, tough and dangerous player. I think that's a realistic expectation and I just hope the team can commit to that.

If this team can manage to score by committee, improve the powerplay to at least average, and work this current aggressive posession game all through the season I will be pleased. All the better if they make the playoffs and we can see how they fare in the post-season with their new look.

This is really interesting given how low our goal production has been. I'm actually trying to wrap my brain around whether these are actually possible, because they look good on paper.

I don't think those numbers for Booth are asking too much at all. At minimum though - based on above - we're looking at four 20 goal scorers, two more likely close to 20. It's looking like we may get more than 5 goals out of Bieksa.

Aside from Kassian all of those guys have put up similar or better numbers in the past, no good reason why they shouldn't be able to come close to that again.

I feel my expectations of them are actually pretty reasonable.

My expectations are at an all time low this year. I see how many teams have improved this year by looking at the standings and the Nucks have basically stayed the same. It's gonna be real hard to make the playoffs let alone do anything in them. I say they'll be lucky to pull in the 8th playoff spot an intern they'll face the number 1 seed so a probable first round exit.

First off, I expect the team to make the playoffs. And once your in the playoffs, anything can happen...

I expect a solid year from Lou. While it's difficult to quantify goalie stats, I expect him to give us a chance to win >90% of the time.

I expect Santorelli to continue at his current pace.

I expect the Sedins to be be top ten scorers.

I expect Booth to be an average third-liner.

I expect thirty goals, sixty points from Kesler.

I expect Kassian to be a scoring threat anywhere in the lineup, but to spend most of his time on the fourth line.

I expect classic Burrows.

My expectations are at an all time low this year. I see how many teams have improved this year by looking at the standings and the Nucks have basically stayed the same. It's gonna be real hard to make the playoffs let alone do anything in them. I say they'll be lucky to pull in the 8th playoff spot an intern they'll face the number 1 seed so a probable first round exit.

I feel pretty much the same way. Hard to think this group can achieve much, looking forward to a minimum of 2 of the young guys stepping into the lineup next year and possibly more. MG is not going to make a big move so i guess we just have a wait and hope some of these guys pan out.

The interesting thing for me is what I see from the expectations of making the playoffs. It is harder for the Canucks this season but I don't really see how they make the playoffs as a negative.

It seems like there's a lot of negativity around us taking a final divisional playoff spot or "wild card" spot. Is that really a negative?

Since it is harder this season, and if we do make the playoffs with that much competitiveness, it could only speak to how good the team is to even make the playoffs ... if that makes any sense.

In our division especially, you definitely you have to be a top team or near the top teams. So, are we expecting - or perceiving - that squeaking into the playoffs is a bad thing?

I expect the Canucks to finish 6-8, and to be at least respectable (i.e. winning a couple of games) even if they don't get out of the first round. Anything more is gravy. What matters most is that the compete level remain high, and that our younger players continue to progress. If that happens, we're in a position to do some damage in a year or two.

Aside from Kassian all of those guys have put up similar or better numbers in the past, no good reason why they shouldn't be able to come close to that again.

I feel my expectations of them are actually pretty reasonable.

I don't think they are unreasonable. It's just interesting when you look at our current goal production and then what's standing in the way of these guys achieving those numbers, which they've achieved before.

We have a much higher standard when it comes to work ethic. Is it that the other teams are better or we're underachieving?

My expectation for the team this year is for them to win the division, and hopefully going on to win the cup. This can be acheived, they just need to find more and better ways of winning a larger pctg of their games. Particularly against divisional opponents. Sharks could be a regular season obstacle, but will definetely collapse come playoff time. Kings Ducks and Yotes are overrated imo. So win more games, get more production, improve GF-GA ratio, get more shutouts, consistent secondary scoring, and sign an elite proven goal scorer. If they can do all this we should reach my expectation of the division and cup.

My expectation for the team this year is for them to win the division, and hopefully going on to win the cup. This can be acheived, they just need to find more and better ways of winning a larger pctg of their games. Particularly against divisional opponents. Sharks could be a regular season obstacle, but will definetely collapse come playoff time. Kings Ducks and Yotes are overrated imo. So win more games, get more production, improve GF-GA ratio, get more shutouts, consistent secondary scoring, and sign an elite proven goal scorer. If they can do all this we should reach my expectation of the division and cup.

Funny, I'm seeing LA as much more of an obstacle than the Sharks or Ducks, even the Yotes. But I'm not expecting to win the division. If we do, it's going to be one hard fought battle with only a couple points separating each. I do expect us to make the playoffs based on what I'm seeing so far.

I'm not in the "need this or that camp" yet. I want to see if we can get the PP working along with bigger production from a healthy Booth, Hansen, and Burrows. And then Kassian coming more into his own. I hope November settles this out and we find our true potential. I really want to see what this team looks like when we find that groove.

I want to get a more accurate gauge of what we have when we work out the kinks before looking at what we don't have.

The cup isn't on my radar of expectations just yet. But I think there's potential we haven't seen yet because of the injuries and wonky PP.

We're an average team that will have an average record and average success. I expect we'll make the playoffs and be out in the first round. Maybe 6 games?

Bottom line is, a lot of the personnel is the same as when this team was elite so we still want to think of them as elite. But, this isn't the same team as the one that won 2 Presidents Trophies. We're an average team now. Nothing will come easy and we certainly aren't a force to be reckoned with. Teams can bring their B-game and still beat us.

We're an average team that will have an average record and average success. I expect we'll make the playoffs and be out in the first round. Maybe 6 games?

Bottom line is, a lot of the personnel is the same as when this team was elite so we still want to think of them as elite. But, this isn't the same team as the one that won 2 Presidents Trophies. We're an average team now. Nothing will come easy and we certainly aren't a force to be reckoned with. Teams can bring their B-game and still beat us.

This . I say start dumping and rebuild. Last thing we need to see is another half bakes season followed by a 4 or 5 game playoff.

I was prepared for an off year. New coach, three average third lines and the Sedin's being expected to carry the offense. I made a thread about it but it got locked, lol. Anything good that comes out of this year is a bonus, what I'm really looking forward to is the next two years when our rookies make the jump.

This

Archived