The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks and Your Expectations This Season?

Dr. Crossbar

Make the playoffs.

We are a long way from that right now. Average goaltending and no finish around the net....

Rookies make the jump.... Hope so but not sure they are being developed properly. Jensen is a good test case - he was playing well and keen... Now there is something wrong. Maybe it's just me but I smell something wrong in Denmark...

Even though at the beginning of the season I thought that with the divisional realignment we'd be in tough to make the playoffs, I really believed we would make the playoffs.

Now, even though the season isn't even a quarter of the way done, I'm having a hard time seeing how this team is going to pass the quality teams ahead of them in the division to make the playoffs.

It's so depressing.

Even though at the beginning of the season I thought that with the divisional realignment we'd be in tough to make the playoffs, I really believed we would make the playoffs.

Now, even though the season isn't even a quarter of the way done, I'm having a hard time seeing how this team is going to pass the quality teams ahead of them in the division to make the playoffs.

It's so depressing.

It's alright bro, back off that ledge...having been a fan for 40 years the 'Nucks finally have hope! There's hope a trade can help for this season and for the first time in a long time there are prospects with fairly bright projections.

We've got 60 games to go, things will change a lot over the next few months, let's sit back and enjoy the progress the team is making.

Have another MJD Dawg!

It's alright bro, back off that ledge...having been a fan for 40 years the 'Nucks finally have hope! There's hope a trade can help for this season and for the first time in a long time there are prospects with fairly bright projections.

We've got 60 games to go, things will change a lot over the next few months, let's sit back and enjoy the progress the team is making.

Have another MJD Dawg!

I'll be alright. Just another day in my life as a Canuck fan (25 years).

Cheers brother!

I'll be alright. Just another day in my life as a Canuck fan (25 years).

Cheers brother!

Damn...I don't know know how you guys do it. I started watching the Canucks in 2007 and I'm already losing interest in the bleak future of the next few years for this team.

Love the home team, but thank god that I'm also a pure hockey fan :S

The Canucks will finish anywhere from 5th to 7th. I don't see us being one of the top 3 teams (gauranteed playoff spot). I also don't see us being a top 4 team in the conference

This team is currently behind San Jose, L.A, Anahiem, and at least Chicago. I'm not even counting St.Louis and Phoenix yet, just to make things not look as bad.

Expectations of course is to win the Stanley cup, realistically do I think they can do it? nope. I don't have that same feeling I did with this team as I did in 2011 and in 2012. We are too much off from that 2011 team, I know a lot of core players are still on this team, but really, too far off.

We are missing a 2nd line that can score.

Offensive dman that can put up 50 points, playing with randoms line mates.

We are missing faceoff man, and an effective 3rd line.

It's pretty pathetic.

The Canucks will finish anywhere from 5th to 7th. I don't see us being one of the top 3 teams (gauranteed playoff spot). I also don't see us being a top 4 team in the conference

This team is currently behind San Jose, L.A, Anahiem, and at least Chicago. I'm not even counting St.Louis and Phoenix yet, just to make things not look as bad.

Expectations of course is to win the Stanley cup, realistically do I think they can do it? nope. I don't have that same feeling I did with this team as I did in 2011 and in 2012. We are too much off from that 2011 team, I know a lot of core players are still on this team, but really, too far off.

We are missing a 2nd line that can score.

Offensive dman that can put up 50 points, playing with randoms line mates.

We are missing faceoff man, and an effective 3rd line.

It's pretty pathetic.

Really dude, Pathetic?

I'd say you are a long way off. 2011 was a peak, however things are trending positively. I see a team getting younger, faster and bigger. Is this supposed to happen in 1 season?

MG is nothing if not resourceful, he will make a move this year. Out of 30 teams we have better odds of winning the cup than at least 20 of them.

20+ games in and the Canucks have done most of their damage against the East, Calgary and Edmonton, with a couple gem performances against St. Louis and win in the San Jose.

I think right now the Canucks are on pace for 94 points, and if you look at the top 8 right now, they are all on pace for 100+ which is ridiculous and probably won't end that way (there are still 6 teams in the West with 1 regulation loss or less on home ice. Just insane winning %'s) So someone has to fade slightly but I still think the Canucks will need 98 points to get in.

It's actually more interesting than the last few seasons where you knew the Canucks would take their division. Having to fight their way in might actually have them playing with the right intensity going in to the playoffs. Might be a good situation too to start a series on the road this year.

It's still early in the Canucks season and there are a lot of games left to be played. But each time we lose a game so many threads get started about trading this player, do we need that player, what we need, what we don't need, or the sky is falling.

All of it has made me question whether fan base expectations are too high or simply unrealistic. And I'm posting this with the hope that we can have a serious, constructive discussion about it for some perspective.

[Mods, I searched but couldn't find a thread on current expectations now that we're into the season. Trying to create a healthy, realistic discussion here]

If expectations of the team and players aren't too high or unrealistic, fire away ... why aren't they?

Specifically, I've been wondering ...

David Booth: What are people's realistic expectations of Booth based on the circumstances around injuries and getting back to form? For example, were people expecting Booth to score three goals last night against SJ? In your view, what would have been a good game for him in his first game back? What should he do next game? What would he need to do each game to win you over?

Zack Kassian: What should Kassian be doing game to game that would make you happy with his play? Should Kassian be at least 1ppg player at this very moment? What are your expectations? Should Kassian be a 30 goal scorer? What do you think he should be for us?

Jordan Schroeder: When Schroeder returns from injury, should he be lighting up the scoreboard immediately, every night or contributing in other ways? Aside from being healthy, what would it take for Schroeder to be an immediate impact player the very second he returns.. or is that unrealistic? What do you expect?

Alex Burrows: Another player coming back from injury, do you expect Burrows to be putting 1, 2, 3 goals in the net per game? How many points per game? What do you expect?

The Sedins; They've been shut down the last few games. What do you expect night after night from Hank and Dank, collectively or individually?

Ryan Kesler: After a slow start, he came alive. What do you expect from Kesler from here on out that would put a smile on your face?

Roberto Luongo: Do you expect him to stop every single shot? Lead the league in shutouts? Have a career year? What do you want him to do that would make you happy? Be realistic.

The Defense: All of the above for ... Garrison, Edler, Hamhuis, Bieksa, Tanev, Stanton ... And should each of these guys be putting in at least one goal a game? Who should be scoring and who should be more defensive. What do you expect, more goals or defense?

Mike Santorelli: Should he be even better than he's been, or do you expect him to tank?

Welsh, Dalpe, Archibald - Call ups: What DO you expect from these guys? Goal per game? Points? What do you want?

Secondary Scoring: What should it be night in and night out? In your view, what's the line between good and bad?

Based on your expectations of the above, and if those expectations are met, what would you expect from a new Top 6 forward? In general, what would you expect if we got a Top 6 forward?

Mike Gillis: ????

Are our current expectations of this team to high and/or unrealistic?

I really want people to come clean here so we can see what is possible and what's not possible. Maybe we'll learn something new.

Mark my words we are doomed..to many excuses for this team !! really Split the frigin Sedins up Torts what are you AV all over again.. we are more solid of a team when we split them up..If we make it in the play offs I would split them up if not we lose ..like I said Mark My Words..2011 we won at home and won on the road I sense we are still too small cause we dont play the friggin fourth line really .. How do you tire out the other team think think yes by ramming and banging the other team with toughness then play your skilled players da ...With Torts we are know better he doesnt play its the players that play another da!!

Mark my words we are doomed..to many excuses for this team !! really Split the frigin Sedins up Torts what are you AV all over again.. we are more solid of a team when we split them up..If we make it in the play offs I would split them up if not we lose ..like I said Mark My Words..2011 we won at home and won on the road I sense we are still too small cause we dont play the friggin fourth line really .. How do you tire out the other team think think yes by ramming and banging the other team with toughness then play your skilled players da ...With Torts we are know better he doesnt play its the players that play another da!!

Well, I'm on to the next day after last night's loss and I don't think we're doomed.

Here's the thing ...

6 out of the last 7 games we've outshot our opponents. We've been getting A LOT of scoring opportunities. So many that you struggle to comprehend why we're not scoring more.

How can you be doing so many right things to get those chances and the puck not go in more than it has been? I have faith that we'll turn that around. Like Torts said in the post game, that will turn around. It doesn't make sense that it won't with so many opportunities.

What last night's game really exposed for me is that defense is huge problem. Our defense did not look good at all. The first goal last night, they were too far down low, facing the wrong way, and just allowed the opposition to streak in. And later the caught off the rush 2 on 1 ... brutal!

We're a better team than what we're seeing and I do expect them to make the playoffs.

20+ games in and the Canucks have done most of their damage against the East, Calgary and Edmonton, with a couple gem performances against St. Louis and win in the San Jose.

I think right now the Canucks are on pace for 94 points, and if you look at the top 8 right now, they are all on pace for 100+ which is ridiculous and probably won't end that way (there are still 6 teams in the West with 1 regulation loss or less on home ice. Just insane winning %'s) So someone has to fade slightly but I still think the Canucks will need 98 points to get in.

It's actually more interesting than the last few seasons where you knew the Canucks would take their division. Having to fight their way in might actually have them playing with the right intensity going in to the playoffs. Might be a good situation too to start a series on the road this year.

In the end, the increased competition makes them better. Totally agree about peaking at the right time come playoffs.

People have been knocking us for previously beating mediocre teams but we need those wins more than ever. If we start to lose against the mediocre teams, it won't matter if we beat top teams here and there.

Overall, fighting to be in the hunt is better.

Archived