The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks; most mentally fragile NHL team?

grandmaster

Hamhuis was gone after game 2, injured after hip checking Lucic. Malhotra was also not playing. AV was too dumb to use Ballard.

Basically the Canucks D was non-existent. Tanev was the only one healthy and making a difference.

To this day it makes me laugh that people don't think injuries played a big role.

If 80% of your team scoring is hindered by serious injuries, it's unlikely any team in the same predicament would do much.

Hamhuis was injured in Game 1. I know this because he only played 8:07 in the entire series.

My belief is that the Canucks are the most mentally fragile hockey team that is assembled in the NHL and have been so since the 2011 Finals.

Yes, the Canucks have made two other appearances in the Finals in the past, but both have been Cinderella teams that were never supposed to make it that far, thus no one can be hard on those teams for not winning.

The Canucks were supposed to win in 2011. They had the best power play, penalty kill and most goals scored in the league. They won the Presidents Trophy just prior to the playoffs and were destined to win. Then it all fell apart against Boston and it keeps falling apart to this day. These guys appear to have the most fragile mental psyche ever. They just don't seem to have the mental ability to finish their oponents.

My solution:

A coaching change is not enough. It's time to truly hit the reset button and trade some core players while they still hold value (unfortunately MG is not competent enough to do this).

I love our core players but something needs to be done before we end up missing the playoffs.

I disagree. Same old thoughts. How about you go cheer for Edmonton . There's a real example of a mentally fragile team.

I'd like to correct you by saying I think Vancouver has a mentally mature team.

Toronto Maple Leafs.

Let me remind you the canucks won in over time against the blackhawks after giving up a shorthanded last minute goal. Yes they blew a 3-0 lead , but that took guts to regroup and win it immediately.

I do smell the fear pretty strong on Luongo, fortunately Lack seems to just be a relaxed guy who is cofident but not cocky - he knows he will be a number one goal some day

Savard doesnt count? He was an all star player suffering from concussion issues. They didnt even need him.

Horton was also a big loss for them.

Canucks got dominated. We mustared 8 goals. "We woulda won that series if..."

Child please

Savard's a loss for them for sure, but they've effectively been allowed to replace him so you either count Savard, or you count Horton - but not both. Savard's long term injury allowed Boston room using LTI to acquire Horton in the first place and they wouldn't have been able to get a player any where near that caliber otherwise.

Our injuries came during the playoffs, so we didn't have the same opportunity to replace a major piece of our lineup that they did. The Bruins had very little injuries during their run apart from Horton - regardless of if it meant not playing or playing injured. We were much more affected by it than they were and it only would have taken one more win in games 3, 4 or 6 for us to close it out before game 7. A healthy Kesler, Hamhuis, Samuelsson, Ehrhoff or Sedin from the start would have made a difference, as would have a healthy Bieksa, Raymond, Edler. Any of them could have contributed offensively if they were able to play at all or play more healthy than they were.

• 2 weeks later...

To OP:

Back when you made this thread I would have disagreed with you, but now I agree with your conclusion. The Canucks are the most mentally fragile team in the NHL, although I disagree that this is because of the failed cup run.

I have never seen a team blow so many leads, especially allowing two goals in under a minute so many times, or breakdown so badly in the last few minutes of the game. Im not even sure how to solve this problem. Usually I'd say we need more veteran guys but this team is full of em.

Hopefully torts can figure out something soon enough.

I have been saying for years that they lack the killer instinct. So many times even when they were the best team in the league they would get up on a team and then allow a few late goals against. It seems meaningless but it shows they didn't have that attitude of stomping a team when up. I recall a game a few seasons ago against Montreal where they got up to a dominating 6-0 lead. The final was 6-3 because they basically stepped off the gas and coasted. The consensus was, no worry they got the 2 points (kind of hurts the process!)Take last seasons final regular season game against Edmonton. Sure the had a minimal roster and jus wanted go through the motions. However, where was the pride? Against Chicago in 2009 they were the better team but lost. In 2010, fair enough Chicago had surpassed Vancouver as a team. But in 2011 Vancouver was once again the superior team and almost imploded. All the games against Nashville wee close and they really beat SJ on the power play. To me,this core has not shown me much when the chips are down.

Archived