The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks; most mentally fragile NHL team?

grandmaster

I don't think we're the most mentally fragile team in the league, however, I do believe that out of the elite and bubble elite teams that we are. For teams like dallas and Phoenix, etc, they haven't gone far in the playoffs in ages( in Phoenix case it was more of a surprise than expected a couple yrs ago) so they feel like they are only getting better so mentally they're getting stronger and all the elite teams feel great because they're are playing well, and looking forward to treating themselves in the playoffs. I think teams that may join us that are either bubble teams or lower seeded playoff teams are washington and maybe even to a lower extent Ottawa because they over the last few 5-6 yrs have finished well in the regular season and have had exceptionally high expectations( especially in wash case) and basically have a lot of the same players and just haven't got it done. Ott is a bit of a stretch here but you can see that mentally wash elite players with so many yrs of high scoring and regular season success are kinda dough ting themselves as well. I'd say San Jose too but their lung crop of players have given them a new taste of belief. It's just human nature to come so close and believe it yr after yr and have others pick u to win, only to never get all the way. A big trade is in order, I do agree but very tough with most of our core having ntcs

Henrik - back

Kesler - shouler & groin

Samuelsson - hernia

Raymond - back

Higgins - broken foot

Malhotra - eye

Edler - broken fingers

Ehrhoff - shoulder

Hamhuis - hernia

Bieksa - bruised acl

Rome - suspended

But omg, Boston was missing Horton! I'm not the one lacking objectivity here.

OMG get your head out of your ass, Boston had the same injuries. Proof of your lack of objectivity you know the Canucks injuries by heart, but have you at least try to look up the Boston injuries. Every playoffs, every teams has half the team with all sort of injuries.

OMG get your head out of your ass, Boston had the same injuries. Proof of your lack of objectivity you know the Canucks injuries by heart, but have you at least try to look up the Boston injuries. Every playoffs, every teams has half the team with all sort of injuries.

I dare you to list out Boston's injury list at the time instead of saying something out of your ares

From year one of the AV era (you could even trace their woes back to the Naslund era - which overlaps in to this current team) the Canucks have shown time and again a lack of killer instinct, and a propensity to fail in the face of success.

'07 Round One vs. Dallas Stars

They nearly blow a 3-1 series lead, getting shutout in back-to-back games where they can clinch, before Trevor Linden rescues them in game 7.

'07 Round Two vs. The Ducks.

Clearly out-matched, yet with a change to win in game 4 on home ice and level the series, the Canucks blow a 3rd period lead, before finally falling in OT.

The next game: I think Canuck fans see the first crack in Luongo's mental forcefield - he stands on his head for 95 minutes. I still think to this day, it is the greatest playoff game he has ever played (you can maybe put game 5 of the finals in there too). Then he loses focus of the play while trying to call a penalty for the refs. Game over.

'09 Playoffs vs. Blackhawks: The Canucks are the better team, and should beat a young Hawks team just happy to have made it that far. Game 1, they out-score and out-class the Hawks for 2 periods building a 4-0 lead, before the Hawks run wild on them for 3 3rd period goals and the Canucks hang on barely during their 20 minute firedrill.

Forward to game 4, the Canucks are up 2-1 in the series and minutes away from going back to Vancouver up 3-1, and Mitchell decides to tip the puck up the middle instead of along the boards. It's kept in, the Hawks score, they win it in overtime.

Forward to game 6: A must win for Vancouver - they open the scoring then find themselves down 3-1 by the middle of the second. It looks over. The Canucks actually tie the game on goals by Daniel and Shane O' Beauty before the end of the second. Sundin scores in the 3rd, we're up. Next shift it's a tie game. Again, the Canucks score to take a lead, and again on the next shift the Hawks tie it. The very next shift, the Hawks score again. Seasons over.

'10 Playoffs: The Canucks "have learned their lesson": They again meet a future Stanely Cup champ, who is just happy to be there for the most part. The LA Kings. Series summary: The Canucks take a penalty, LA scores. The Canucks look so rattled, and are down 2-1 going in to game 4. The near perfect Kings powerplay opens the scoring. It's close game before the Canucks actually show some perseverance, and will themselves to a win. After that the Kings just kind of pack it in, and hand the Canucks the series.

Chicago Round 2: Canucks are the underdog now. Win game 1 on the road. It's looking good. Maybe the Canucks have found that aura winning teams get the playoffs. OMG, the Canucks go up 2-0 in game 2. On the road. In Chicago. it's 2-1 in the third. A veteran team like the Canucks can protect that lead right? Then Patrick Sharp scores a short-handed goal in the 3rd to tie it, and the Canucks never recover. Not in that game. Not in that series. They get embarassed on home ice games 3 and 4, and down 3-1 the Canucks catch a Hawks team that is already looking ahead to the next round, before again being embarassed in fron the Canuck faithful. Canucks home record this playoffs: 2-4 and are outscored by Chicago at home, 17 - 7.

'11 Playoffs: Well we all remeber that one.

Very well put together memories we would all want to forget. These are very significant examples that add to the evidence of a weak psyche on this team. I only wish we had that killer instinct they had leading up to the 2011 season, arguably the best regular season they ever had and terrific playoffs up to the Finals (I guess it fell apart in game 3 when we were up with 2 wins)

Even in '11 they blow a 3-0 lead against Chicago, and then blow 1-0 lead in in game 7 on a short-handed goal in last 2 minutes of regulation. They couldn't even put Nashville away on the first try. That year the Canucks went 3-7 in games where they had a chance to clinch a series.

BTW Boston we're missing Horton, which was a big part of their top 6, and it didn't stop them. They we're as banged up as we we're, specially with that 7 game thriller against tampa in the east final, compared to our 5 games series vs Sharks.

The reason we scored 10 goals is not because we we're not healthy. Get back to reality man and try to be objective here.

Its because Boston's goalie stoned us and won the Conn Smythe trophy.

Its because Boston's goalie stoned us and won the Conn Smythe trophy.

Boston's goalie stoned us because we were so injured. If we were healthy we would have obliterated the Bruins. I honestly think we might have swept them.

But then again... if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle.

Boston's goalie stoned us because we were so injured. If we were healthy we would have obliterated the Bruins. I honestly think we might have swept them.

Not necessarily :P

Thomas played well, but any goalie could have won the 4 games against Vancouver that he did because they were all blowouts.

Actually the only part that is mentally fragile about the canucks is its fan base

That sounds closer to the truth, as evidenced by the next post below yours.

We have looked up the Boston injuries - have you?

Not sure if this counts, but Savard was out too

I would lean towards that not counting. Not even just talking about him not playing in the playoffs but the equally important factor of how him being healthy and thus his cap hit counting impacts their deadline deals. Impossible to tell how they would have done if they had Savard, Wheeler, and Stuart instead of Kelly, Peverley, and Kaberle.

I really doubt that, Timmy the tool got red hot at the exact time he had to and we fizzled at the exact time we couldn't.

Also, not to be picky, but there are scenarios where your aunt could have balls...just sayin' :shock:

I would lean towards that not counting. Not even just talking about him not playing in the playoffs but the equally important factor of how him being healthy and thus his cap hit counting impacts their deadline deals. Impossible to tell how they would have done if they had Savard, Wheeler, and Stuart instead of Kelly, Peverley, and Kaberle.

If you want to include Savard in their injury list then I say you can't include Horton. They couldn't have brung in Horton if they didn't have Savard on LTI at the deadline to be able to exceed the cap. Weidman alone wouldn't have been enough to create that cap space, so they would have had to move some other salary out.

the wound inflicted in 2011 will never heal.........

gws-ghostkitty-pic.jpg

I find it odd that game 2 of the stanley cup finals had the lowest ratings on NBC since the Ottawa series. And all a sudden the boston bruins come firing out in their next two home games and win the games 4-0 and 8-1. Hmmm your right Rome hit woke up the bruins and that was the the only reason we lost the finals(sarcasm).

Game one on NBC drew the best television ratings for a first game since game one of the 1999 Stanley Cup Finals, drawing a 3.2 rating, up 14 percent from game one of the 2010 Finals.[19] The rating was boosted by heavy interest in Boston's large market, which posted a 25.5/39, topping the 19.1/34 for game one of the 2010 NBA Finals between the Boston Celtics and the Los Angeles Lakers.[19]

In contrast, game two drew just 3.37 million viewers for NBC, making it the least-watched Stanley Cup Finals broadcast on U.S. network television since game five in 2007, which also was the last time a Canadian team (the Ottawa Senators) advanced to the Cup Finals.

Games six, five and one are the third, fourth, and fifth most-watchedCBC Sports programs with an average Canadian audience of 6.6 million, 6.1 million, and 5.6 million viewers respectively, after the men's ice hockey gold medal game between Canada and the United States at the 2002 Winter Olympics.[53][54][55] Game seven was the highest rated game on both sides of the border; in Canada, it was second most-watched CBC Sports program, drawing an average of 8.76 million viewers and trailing only the men's gold medal game in ice hockey at the 2002 Winter Olympics;[56] In the US, NBC's broadcast drew a 5.7 national overnight rating and a 10 share (numbers that equaled game seven of the2003 Stanley Cup Finals),[56] a number later updated to 8.5 million viewers, making the game the most-watched NHL broadcast in the US since 1973;[56] in the Boston market alone, the broadcast pulled in a 43.4 rating and a 64 share.[56]

http://espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=310604102

If you think most Boston sports fans have the Bruins in their top 2, lol, imagine wanting to watch game 2 of the World Series after watching a hockey game for 5 hours, I know that's not possible but if it were I know I sure wouldn't.

I think one thing I've noticed this year is that we aren't mentally fragile. If we're down a couple goals then we fight back. If Luongo let's in a soft goal he doesn't let it rattle him. And if someone is messing with our top guys then the team defends them. That's the big difference this year in my opinion and it will be very important in the playoffs.

Archived