The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks; most mentally fragile NHL team?

grandmaster

My belief is that the Canucks are the most mentally fragile hockey team that is assembled in the NHL and have been so since the 2011 Finals.

Yes, the Canucks have made two other appearances in the Finals in the past, but both have been Cinderella teams that were never supposed to make it that far, thus no one can be hard on those teams for not winning.

The Canucks were supposed to win in 2011. They had the best power play, penalty kill and most goals scored in the league. They won the Presidents Trophy just prior to the playoffs and were destined to win. Then it all fell apart against Boston and it keeps falling apart to this day. These guys appear to have the most fragile mental psyche ever. They just don't seem to have the mental ability to finish their oponents.

My solution:

A coaching change is not enough. It's time to truly hit the reset button and trade some core players while they still hold value (unfortunately MG is not competent enough to do this).

I love our core players but something needs to be done before we end up missing the playoffs.

My belief is that the Canucks are the most mentally fragile hockey team that is assembled in the NHL and have been so since the 2011 Finals.

Yes, the Canucks have made two other appearances in the Finals in the past, but both have been Cinderella teams that were never supposed to make it that far, thus no one can be hard on those teams for not winning.

The Canucks were supposed to win in 2011. They had the best power play, penalty kill and most goals scored in the league. They won the Presidents Trophy just prior to the playoffs and were destined to win. Then it all fell apart against Boston and it keeps falling apart to this day. These guys appear to have the most fragile mental psyche ever. They just don't seem to have the mental ability to finish their oponents.

My solution:

A coaching change is not enough. It's time to truly hit the reset button and trade some core players while they still hold value (unfortunately MG is not competent enough to do this).

I love our core players but something needs to be done before we end up missing the playoffs.

I almost wanna cry this is so true.

My solution:

IMO they have always been mentally fragile even before the 2011 finals, they are very prone to giving up goals in rapid succession. You see it in round 1 vs Chicago in the blowout games where it's 1-1 or 0-0 and suddenly they give up 2 quick ones and it's game over. It's like when the opposing team scores the players forget how to defend after.

You had some truth is the story there, but how anyone her has the qualification to say this is beyond me.

Do you actually think that MG and the management around him hasn't thought of different scenarios, and at least tried to make something happen to change stuff? Does CDC actually believe that they were the first ones to plan and come up with solutions and trade ideas? I'm confident that guys are planning and puzzling with different models of how to proceed on a daily basis...

My solution:

You do realize just how many players were injured in the finals against Boston don't you? Mental fragility had nothing to do with it. We would have won that series if we were just halfass healthy.

Btw, our core players all have ntc's. So might as well give up the notion of wholesale trades happening.

There is some truth, but I think the weakest mind on the team is Luongo. He was Great!, yes great, when he had poor teams in front of him, Florida, Vancouver vs Dallas/Anaheim in 2007.

Dont tell me he won the gold medal, he had a stacked team. I also remember in the semi final against Slovakia late in the game he gave some juicy rebounds which lead to the incredible chance/save on Demitra.

And again in the final he gave up a late goal after giving juicy rebound which kept the puck in the zone. We were lucky Crosby finished it early.

You do realize just how many players were injured in the finals against Boston don't you? Mental fragility had nothing to do with it. We would have won that series if we were just halfass healthy.

Btw, our core players all have ntc's. So might as well give up the notion of wholesale trades happening.

BTW Boston we're missing Horton, which was a big part of their top 6, and it didn't stop them. They we're as banged up as we we're, specially with that 7 game thriller against tampa in the east final, compared to our 5 games series vs Sharks.

The reason we scored 10 goals is not because we we're not healthy. Get back to reality man and try to be objective here.

While I do agree with them being fragile right now, I don't believe that was the case in the cup run year, they had a swagger that year that I had not seen in a long time. But it was after that year that you could see that something had changed for them mentally.

I think it is most apparent with Kesler, it is disappointing that we have yet to see the same Kes that played in the Nashville series.

Things haven't come as easily for this team, so not only are the fans frustrated but you can see the frustration in the team the last few years. This was the reason I was an advocate for moving AV, as it seemed after that run they needed a different perspective. They played their asses off and didn't get the result and it seemed the rest of the NHL was aware of how to shut us down, and AV seemed unwilling to change what he saw as successful in the past.

It will take a while for Torts to change the mindset, but I for one have faith that he has the ability to do so. I just hope they can see the fruits of what Torts system can bring and don't end up turning on it before it has been given a real chance, it doesn't help that they haven't seen all their hard work end up in the back of the net, but if they keep it up the odds will turn.

The Sabres, Oilers and Panthers say hello. Mentally fragile, not sure as they seem to fight back more now than ever before in the last decade. but they cannot score goals.

I would say the most snakebitten team but not the most frail. IN fat under AV at times they were more fragile in that they'd give up leads or fall apart completely. Think, this season only 1 game over 4 goals an no definitive shellacking like we saw so often in the past

Mentally fragile?

What exactly does that mean as far as hockey goes and how do you determine that?

The suggestion as I understand it has to so with this team being prone to "crumble" after they let in an untimely goal.. This is not always the case obviously, but there are plenty of examples to choose from.

Also, it seems pretty obvious to most fans that this team took a healthy step back in overall performance after the 2011 series.. To me that time had the Canucks shift from a number 1 contender for the cup to a middle of the pack team.

Mentally it has to be tough.. Its one thing to lose, but its another to lose after all the mayhem has gone on with this team, what with the goalie controversy, getting bounced last couple playoffs the way they did, having to now change strategies with a new coach and stay positive when you're losing a swath of games..

We lost in 2011 because of being physically fragile more than mentally. Boston was clearly on enough PED's to crush us, while guys like Torres were a relative non-factor.

That's a bold accusation. Actually, not really. I wouldn't doubt if there was much more widespread use of PEDs in the NHL than we fans think.

Rather, it's kind of a naive statement. If roid/HGH/whathaveyou use was there in the league but you think only one or a few teams are using them to win, than you're sorely mistaken. Accuse one team, might as well accuse them all.

BTW Boston we're missing Horton, which was a big part of their top 6, and it didn't stop them. They we're as banged up as we we're, specially with that 7 game thriller against tampa in the east final, compared to our 5 games series vs Sharks.

The reason we scored 10 goals is not because we we're not healthy. Get back to reality man and try to be objective here.

Not sure if this counts, but Savard was out too

As if any of you know what the mental state of these players is. talk about conjecture.

second, you try playing professional sports (that means competeing against your best professional peers) and see how difficult it is. people don't give the Canucks competetion enough respect. All these negative nancy's just expect the Canucks to win. That's a simple minded approach.

We lost in 2011 because of being physically fragile more than mentally. Boston was clearly on enough PED's to crush us, while guys like Torres were a relative non-factor.

I believe we outhit them in 5 of the 7 games.

At least Torres stood up for his teammates that series... Bieksa, on the other hand, did absolutely nothing.

I believe we outhit them in 5 of the 7 games.

At least Torres stood up for his teammates that series... Bieksa, on the other hand, did absolutely nothing.

Remember - the series changed after the Rome hit - Canucks were "afraid" to hit anymore for they were worried about the refs.

For example, if the refs allowed us to hit the Bruins like we did in the last game against LA - we would have won the cup.

Archived