The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks; most mentally fragile NHL team?

grandmaster

My belief is that the Canucks are the most mentally fragile hockey team that is assembled in the NHL and have been so since the 2011 Finals.

Yes, the Canucks have made two other appearances in the Finals in the past, but both have been Cinderella teams that were never supposed to make it that far, thus no one can be hard on those teams for not winning.

The Canucks were supposed to win in 2011. They had the best power play, penalty kill and most goals scored in the league. They won the Presidents Trophy just prior to the playoffs and were destined to win. Then it all fell apart against Boston and it keeps falling apart to this day. These guys appear to have the most fragile mental psyche ever. They just don't seem to have the mental ability to finish their oponents.

My solution:

A coaching change is not enough. It's time to truly hit the reset button and trade some core players while they still hold value (unfortunately MG is not competent enough to do this).

I love our core players but something needs to be done before we end up missing the playoffs.

MG has already pushed the RESET button, he said it last spring, Do you think he just added Stanton for no reason?

The mental fragility is evident nowhere moreso than at the Province and the Vancouver Sun.

Those guys are glass houses weak minded.

The Canucks on the other hand are fine. If anything, they've shown the ability in this losing streak to come out and outplay their opponents night after night, when they're not getting puck luck or rewarded. That is a solid sign. They've had a few breakdowns (primarily as a result of aggression) and they've had some crapty luck. Their coach has refrained from engaging in the kind of mopey drivel that prevails in the market and has remained positive. The state of mind of the team is fine. This kind of adversity in November could just as easily elevate them to the next level as shatter their confidence. Take it as an opportunity to galvanize the team. They know what type of talent they possess - they're not about to crumble anytime soon imo.

BTW Boston we're missing Horton, which was a big part of their top 6, and it didn't stop them. They we're as banged up as we we're, specially with that 7 game thriller against tampa in the east final, compared to our 5 games series vs Sharks.

The reason we scored 10 goals is not because we we're not healthy. Get back to reality man and try to be objective here.

Confirmed Boston Troll

Confirmed Boston Troll

I'm not going to belittle Boston's team - they were solid - but they also had one of the softest routes to the Cup in history.

They snuck past the small forward Habs.

They swept the Bryeeezzzy Phlyers.

And they eeked by the no-hitter TBL.

Good point.

But I think we need to recover after a goal much better. Says on CDC We are Heart. I don't buy it until you recover better after goals along with a good effort.

Can't argue with getting better at recovering. But they've also been good at recovering from allowing first goals and keeping the games close through effort. It's been bad but not all bad ... we need to close the gaps and counter with goals.

From year one of the AV era (you could even trace their woes back to the Naslund era - which overlaps in to this current team) the Canucks have shown time and again a lack of killer instinct, and a propensity to fail in the face of success.

'07 Round One vs. Dallas Stars

They nearly blow a 3-1 series lead, getting shutout in back-to-back games where they can clinch, before Trevor Linden rescues them in game 7.

'07 Round Two vs. The Ducks.

Clearly out-matched, yet with a change to win in game 4 on home ice and level the series, the Canucks blow a 3rd period lead, before finally falling in OT.

The next game: I think Canuck fans see the first crack in Luongo's mental forcefield - he stands on his head for 95 minutes. I still think to this day, it is the greatest playoff game he has ever played (you can maybe put game 5 of the finals in there too). Then he loses focus of the play while trying to call a penalty for the refs. Game over.

'09 Playoffs vs. Blackhawks: The Canucks are the better team, and should beat a young Hawks team just happy to have made it that far. Game 1, they out-score and out-class the Hawks for 2 periods building a 4-0 lead, before the Hawks run wild on them for 3 3rd period goals and the Canucks hang on barely during their 20 minute firedrill.

Forward to game 4, the Canucks are up 2-1 in the series and minutes away from going back to Vancouver up 3-1, and Mitchell decides to tip the puck up the middle instead of along the boards. It's kept in, the Hawks score, they win it in overtime.

Forward to game 6: A must win for Vancouver - they open the scoring then find themselves down 3-1 by the middle of the second. It looks over. The Canucks actually tie the game on goals by Daniel and Shane O' Beauty before the end of the second. Sundin scores in the 3rd, we're up. Next shift it's a tie game. Again, the Canucks score to take a lead, and again on the next shift the Hawks tie it. The very next shift, the Hawks score again. Seasons over.

'10 Playoffs: The Canucks "have learned their lesson": They again meet a future Stanely Cup champ, who is just happy to be there for the most part. The LA Kings. Series summary: The Canucks take a penalty, LA scores. The Canucks look so rattled, and are down 2-1 going in to game 4. The near perfect Kings powerplay opens the scoring. It's close game before the Canucks actually show some perseverance, and will themselves to a win. After that the Kings just kind of pack it in, and hand the Canucks the series.

Chicago Round 2: Canucks are the underdog now. Win game 1 on the road. It's looking good. Maybe the Canucks have found that aura winning teams get the playoffs. OMG, the Canucks go up 2-0 in game 2. On the road. In Chicago. it's 2-1 in the third. A veteran team like the Canucks can protect that lead right? Then Patrick Sharp scores a short-handed goal in the 3rd to tie it, and the Canucks never recover. Not in that game. Not in that series. They get embarassed on home ice games 3 and 4, and down 3-1 the Canucks catch a Hawks team that is already looking ahead to the next round, before again being embarassed in fron the Canuck faithful. Canucks home record this playoffs: 2-4 and are outscored by Chicago at home, 17 - 7.

'11 Playoffs: Well we all remeber that one.

I think Tortorella is working with the mentality and psyche of this team, and these past few late game losses are great because he gets to see how fragile they really are. He's got a lot of time to work with before the playoffs start to mentally toughen them up, and if any coach can do it its Torts.

We're already showing signs of improvement. The Canucks have been in tight 1 goal games all season long and haven't been blown out very often for a non-playoff team which shows a lot of character. Last season a lot of these leads against us would end up getting built on and getting away from us, but Torts has our players playing harder after going down and getting back into games.

The next step is to stop squandering late leads and finish off teams, and I believe Tortorella can get this group doing that.

I'm not going to belittle Boston's team - they were solid - but they also had one of the softest routes to the Cup in history.

They snuck past the small forward Habs.

They swept the Bryeeezzzy Phlyers.

And they eeked by the no-hitter TBL.

Not as easy as LA

Vancouver(with bad reffing)

St. Louis

Phoenix

NJ(How the hell did NJ make it to the finals)

Might have been the easiest teams to beat to win the cup. In the LA year all the high seeds got knocked out early so it made it really easy for LA to win.

The mental fragility is evident nowhere moreso than at the Province and the Vancouver Sun.

Those guys are glass houses weak minded.

The Canucks on the other hand are fine. If anything, they've shown the ability in this losing streak to come out and outplay their opponents night after night, when they're not getting puck luck or rewarded. That is a solid sign. They've had a few breakdowns (primarily as a result of aggression) and they've had some crapty luck. Their coach has refrained from engaging in the kind of mopey drivel that prevails in the market and has remained positive. The state of mind of the team is fine. This kind of adversity in November could just as easily elevate them to the next level as shatter their confidence. Take it as an opportunity to galvanize the team. They know what type of talent they possess - they're not about to crumble anytime soon imo.

Pretty much sums up how I feel. Sometimes you need to fall down in order to get better... to know exactly what your weaknesses are. The fact that they "have" outplayed opponents is a great sign. That's always been my view. They need to be mentally strong to get through it.

I watch a lot of hockey, I really enjoy watching teams where I have little interest in the outcome, I find it really helps me in staying objective when watching the Canucks. We are not any more fragile than any other team. ALL teams have moments of fragility including the Canucks, and all players experience some fragility from time to time...look at Lu over the last two seasons during the "saga". To say we are the most mentally fragile team is just not true.

Not as easy as LA

Vancouver(with bad reffing)

St. Louis

Phoenix

NJ(How the hell did NJ make it to the finals)

Might have been the easiest teams to beat to win the cup. In the LA year all the high seeds got knocked out early so it made it really easy for LA to win.

Still have to perform though... I remember in 2003 that the Canucks beat St. Louis who was ravaged by a flu bug and then played Minnesota who was considered very crappy at that time. If the Canucks beat them they would've played Anaheim who was also pretty crappy. Cloutier in net was a million times scarier than having Lu in net. You even had the captain saying in the last game of the regular season "we choked" when they failed to win the division. That was the epitome of mental fragile.

We lost the finals in 2011 because AV's golden boy decided to throw one of the most untimely hits in the history of a SC final, even if that was clean you still shouldn't throw it, the Bruins were on their heels, Canucks were playing the game they wanted to play. You don't wake a sleeping giant, it's the hit you throw if you are down 2-0 in a series, not up 2-0.

That hit changed it all, I will never forgive AV or Rome, the fact that those two remained Canucks for as long as they did after that series leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

We lost the finals in 2011 because AV's golden boy decided to throw one of the most untimely hits in the history of a SC final, even if that was clean you still shouldn't throw it, the Bruins were on their heels, Canucks were playing the game they wanted to play. You don't wake a sleeping giant, it's the hit you throw if you are down 2-0 in a series, not up 2-0.

That hit changed it all, I will never forgive AV or Rome, the fact that those two remained Canucks for as long as they did after that series leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I find it odd that game 2 of the stanley cup finals had the lowest ratings on NBC since the Ottawa series. And all a sudden the boston bruins come firing out in their next two home games and win the games 4-0 and 8-1. Hmmm your right Rome hit woke up the bruins and that was the the only reason we lost the finals(sarcasm).

Game one on NBC drew the best television ratings for a first game since game one of the 1999 Stanley Cup Finals, drawing a 3.2 rating, up 14 percent from game one of the 2010 Finals.[19] The rating was boosted by heavy interest in Boston's large market, which posted a 25.5/39, topping the 19.1/34 for game one of the 2010 NBA Finals between the Boston Celtics and the Los Angeles Lakers.[19]

In contrast, game two drew just 3.37 million viewers for NBC, making it the least-watched Stanley Cup Finals broadcast on U.S. network television since game five in 2007, which also was the last time a Canadian team (the Ottawa Senators) advanced to the Cup Finals.

Games six, five and one are the third, fourth, and fifth most-watched CBC Sports programs with an average Canadian audience of 6.6 million, 6.1 million, and 5.6 million viewers respectively, after the men's ice hockey gold medal game between Canada and the United States at the 2002 Winter Olympics.[53][54][55] Game seven was the highest rated game on both sides of the border; in Canada, it was second most-watched CBC Sports program, drawing an average of 8.76 million viewers and trailing only the men's gold medal game in ice hockey at the 2002 Winter Olympics;[56] In the US, NBC's broadcast drew a 5.7 national overnight rating and a 10 share (numbers that equaled game seven of the2003 Stanley Cup Finals),[56] a number later updated to 8.5 million viewers, making the game the most-watched NHL broadcast in the US since 1973;[56] in the Boston market alone, the broadcast pulled in a 43.4 rating and a 64 share.[56]

BTW Boston we're missing Horton, which was a big part of their top 6, and it didn't stop them. They we're as banged up as we we're, specially with that 7 game thriller against tampa in the east final, compared to our 5 games series vs Sharks.

The reason we scored 10 goals is not because we we're not healthy. Get back to reality man and try to be objective here.

Henrik - back

Kesler - shouler & groin

Samuelsson - hernia

Raymond - back

Higgins - broken foot

Malhotra - eye

Edler - broken fingers

Ehrhoff - shoulder

Hamhuis - hernia

Bieksa - bruised acl

Rome - suspended

But omg, Boston was missing Horton! I'm not the one lacking objectivity here.

Being a fan of the Canucks and Penguins I can say that the Penguins are way more mentally fragile.

IMO the Penguins are the most mentally fragile team in the league. It's such a problem that Shero has come out and said it's his biggest concern.

Most mentally fragile team of all time. People like Kola Nuts don't comprehend the importance in how the team functions as of right now.

People like Kola Nuts? Or Kola Nuts himself?

Not the most mentally fragile team now or of all time.

Archived