The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Too Early to call Kassian a dissapointment?

Go Go Canucks Go

The Canucks have tried to get bigger and they can't even make the playoffs or past the first round now :lol: .

Says a Sabres fan, whose namesake left the Canucks to 'win a Cup' lol!!

Hey, how's Ehrhoff doing? Getting outscored by everyone on the Canucks blueline, that's how. Outscored by Tanev, who folks around here seem to think has no offensive upside.

What is the Ehrhoff-effect anyhow? Something to do with eating crow, no doubt.

I honestly don't understand why people give up on the guy so quickly... It was one bad game.

He's looked very good this season, a lot better than last season.

I'd say give him time, imo I'm expecting him to break out in 3 years max.

Yeh just put his name under Kesler on the list of players we're waiting on.

True, but that doesn't mean you start suggesting that Kassian's a bust or whatever. The twins never even fully developed unit they hit their late 20's.

Bring this discussion up if he doesn't start producing by the time he hits his mid-late 20s.

I'm not as worried about kassian as the losses.

I've posted this in another thread but then I've seen this thread existed so here it is again.

People bashing kassian are expecting way to much out of him. He has an ELC and is being used as a 4th line player. What are you expecting out of him? To show up and score every night. He's being used improperly, you have no idea what its like sitting on the bench and then giving 2 shifts a period and expected to create something. Yes he was traded for Hodgson so everyone expects him to be being used as him. His not being used that way. All this kassian is invisible out there talk is ridiculous, of course you don't notice him out there he's only playing 10 min a game.

If Torts was looking more from him he'd be playing top 6 minutes with PP chances and with line mates that can actually do something with the puck other than dump it in when they hit center ice. This is the role Torts wants him in and what he thinks is beneficial for him. Personally I'd think if he's not in the top 9 playing over 15 min a game he'd be better off in the AHL playing in key situations learning leadership but hey i'm also not the coach making the decisions.

Over the last two prior season (excluding last shortened season) Playoff bound teams have averaged around 240 goals

Line 1 - (72-80 goals)

Line 2 - (50-58 goals)

Line 3 - (40-45 goals)

Line 4 - (20-25 goals)

Defence -(32-40 goals)

Fourth line players are expected to score around 8 goals a season, well Kassian has 5 already.

Yes we want him to grow into a better player to become a top 6 player, well if your going to get mad at someone get mad at the coach who's using him in the 4th line role.

And to the responses saying that you got to earn your ice time, come on really... has Burrows earned playing first line this year has hansen/higgins earned 2nd line. Sometimes players have to be giving a chance (not just 1 or 2 shifts) and seen what they can do with it. Kind of like Booth has been giving the last 3 games. You take Daniel and put him on the wing to Richardson and Sestito playing only 10 min a game and guess what you wouldn't get much of a different response out of his play than your seeing from Kassian.

While I'm defending Kass a bit here, and I'm sincere, It's not too early to call the trade a disappointment. At the time it was made, we needed a guy who could step in to the lineup and make a difference to a contending team. Rule one for contending teams is trade for battle hardened veterans to make cup runs. Not a buck green, untested rookie. It was not what we needed. Point two, was we dug a hole, the motor which was driving our secondary scoring, pulling a contributing talent from the line up which has yet to be replaced. Time has proven we did not have the play making depth. Rule two; trade from strength and don't create one hole to fill another.

People can hack on Hodgson, his crying and what not, all they want. It was a dumb trade from day one.

Totally agree with this sentiment. I have no doubt we'll be happy with Kass a few years down the line, but at that moment, in 2012, when we were poised to make a run, Hodgson was contributing and producing our secondary scoring, at the time, Kassian didn't make a difference. GMMG got too arrogant there, believing the Core could pull the same offense as they did in 2011 without Cody. Cody's absence is a loss the club has yet to fill (his 50 points would look good right now :()

Kass though, I'll give him a few years. I'm happy with the flashes of what he's shown he coudl be. The only reason he's not being sent down at this point is to save GMMG face, but he could sure use some more minutes to develop his game.

I think powerforwards take longer to develop and get used to the NHL game. I'd probably give Kassian one or two more seasons before calling him a disappointment. Bertuzzi was what, 25 when he broke out?

Don't compare this guy to Bertuzzi your going to be pretty disappointed. Cause you obviously haven't compared their play or Berts early years to Kass. They are totally different.

If you are expecting him to turn like Bert, I'll tell you right now he won't. He will make his own path if he indeed does become a success. But right now he's no where near that he is far to inconsistent.

When watching him sometimes I feel the team is trying to turn some average joe into a star when he isn't even close. I will jump for joy if it works out but right now it isn't. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

For me the Kassian for Hodgson trade will always go down as a horrible trade for the Canucks, even if Kassian somehow becomes a good player.

The Canucks made this deal when they were taking a run at the Stanley Cup. They were leading the league in points had a serious chance of going all the way again? So what do they do? They traded one of their most consistent forwards that season for an unknown commodity. A guy who was, at the time, playing in the AHL. How does that help the Canucks' cause? It doesn't. Not one bit. It was a boneheaded move.

I don't care if Hodgson wanted out. Gillis should have A) gotten someone back for him who could have an immediate impact, or B ) waited until the offseason to pull the trigger on a deal like this.

Even if Hodgson was asking for a trade I'm sure he could have been talked into staying for the rest of the year, especially since the Canucks were a top contender.

Anyways, to answer the original question: no, it's not too early to call Kassian a disappointment. I think by this time we were all hoping he'd at least a legit 2nd/3rd line winger. Is he a total bust yet? No, there's still time for him to break out. But like I said above, even if he does that doesn't make this a good trade.

Half the team was injured when we made that trade, kes and bieksa were still nursing finals injuries.

I never said we need to go that route I am just saying they tried to and unfortunately failed, hence the outcome you have stated.

Teams like LA, SJS and BOS are successful at that being big physical teams. MG thought that was the way to go.

They tried to do it in one year. I havt heard anything else about a vision of building a big tough team... So it was all bs. Seriously.

I think it's too early (I'd hold off until 24ish or so before declaring that). However, I don't feel he's been consistent or good enough defensively to earn a roster spot on this team. I'd rather they use someone like Archibald. Or if he's coming off injury, give Schroeder another shot.

He needs to work on making smart plays very badly, and I think a stint in the AHL would be better than making dumb plays for us at the NHL level.

I used to be all for the trade but now Hodgson would make our top 6 a lot better. Then we could have Kesler with the Sedin's without worrying about our 2nd line center.

Sedin - Sedin - Kesler

Booth - Hodgson - Burrows

Higgins - Santorelli - Hansen

Tostito's/Archibald - Richardson - Weise

That's a pretty damn decent line-up with depth at every angle.

I used to be all for the trade but now Hodgson would make our top 6 a lot better. Then we could have Kesler with the Sedin's without worrying about our 2nd line center.

Sedin - Sedin - Kesler

Booth - Hodgson - Burrows

Higgins - Santorelli - Hansen

Tostito's/Archibald - Richardson - Weise

That's a pretty damn decent line-up with depth at every angle.

That line up is drastically better all because of a single player. I was never a fan of the trade and I'm even lesser of a fan now.

Archived