The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Too Early to call Kassian a dissapointment?

Go Go Canucks Go

Yes, it is still too early. Plenty of players in this league don't hit their stride until around 25. I really don't know what is wrong with the idiots on CDC who expect every prospect we have to come in and make a Crosby-like impact in their first year. Here's an idea. How about you idiots get your heads out of your asses and learn some patience? Or am I just asking for the impossible here?

With the exception of Bertuzzi and Franzen (drafted at age 24).... name some other power forwards that suddenly puts it together after age 25? The whole "power fowards" needs time to develop is simply not true. Almost all start being productive at Kassian's age now. All powerforwards already have NHL size, thus most are able to adapt after a few seasons in the NHL.

Those unable to adjust simply become "role players", "enforcers" or simply not in the NHL.

With the exception of Bertuzzi and Franzen (drafted at age 24).... name some other power forwards that suddenly puts it together after age 25? The whole "power fowards" needs time to develop is simply not true. Almost all start being productive at Kassian's age now. All powerforwards already have NHL size, thus most are able to adapt after a few seasons in the NHL.

Those unable to adjust simply become "role players", "enforcers" or simply not in the NHL.

Just because some get it together earlier doesn't mean we should stop being patient with Kassian. Power forwards DO need time, whether you like it or not.

Just because some get it together earlier doesn't mean we should stop being patient with Kassian. Power forwards DO need time, whether you like it or not.

Almost all powerforward figures it out by at 22-23. Those who don't usually don't amount to anything more than guys like Steve Bernier, Taylor Pyatt, etc. As I've been repeating, the mantra "PF needs time" is more of an excuse than anything factual.

Guys who figured it out from age 18-23:

Dustin Brown, Corey Perry, Ryan Getzlaf, Rick Nash, Jerome Iginla, Evander Kane, Milan Lucic, Jamie Been, James Neal, Ryan Malone, Nathan Horton, Scott Hartnell, Chris Stewart, Ryane Clowe, Shane Doan, etc.

Guys who figured it out age 24+:

Johan Franzen, Todd Bertuzzi, David Backes, Olli Jokenin..... pretty much slim pickings....

I'm not writing him off completely, but unless Kassian start making strides in the 2nd half (assuming he's not hampered by injuries) or by next season, chances are he'll never be that top-6 forward the Canucks need.

This is what I don't understand either. Where the hell did this idea that power forwards take longer to develop come from? Isn't it the exact opposite?

It usually takes the smaller, skilled players longer to develop and adjust in the NHL. Power forwards already have the size to compete at the highest level and it's easier for them to adjust as opposed to the smaller guys in the league like Marty St.Louis.

Can somebody give examples besides Bertuzzi and Franzen?

What a farce.

Almost all powerforward figures it out by at 22-23. Those who don't usually don't amount to anything more than guys like Steve Bernier, Taylor Pyatt, etc. As I've been repeating, the mantra "PF needs time" is more of an excuse than anything factual.

Guys who figured it out from age 18-23:

Dustin Brown, Corey Perry, Ryan Getzlaf, Rick Nash, Jerome Iginla, Evander Kane, Milan Lucic, Jamie Been, James Neal, Ryan Malone, Nathan Horton, Scott Hartnell, Chris Stewart, Ryane Clowe, Shane Doan, etc.

Guys who figured it out age 24+:

Johan Franzen, Todd Bertuzzi, David Backes, Olli Jokenin..... pretty much slim pickings....

I'm not writing him off completely, but unless Kassian start making strides in the 2nd half (assuming he's not hampered by injuries) or by next season, chances are he'll never be that top-6 forward the Canucks need.

Ryane Clowe and Malone weren't even NHL regulars at 23 so how exactly have they figured it out? FAIL

What I noticed with Kass is that he only shoots when he absolutely needs to... Fortunately its not as severe as Henrik's pass first/never shoot mentality; however Kass has a much better shot and needs to use it.

Since Kass thinks pass first he usually slows down the offense therefore allowing the d to close the shooting lanes forcing the pass. This would be fine if he had someone like ovechkin and Neal on his line but Booth can't exactly finish as well as before and Richardson doesn't create enough space for Kass.

Basically, he needs to think the game faster and use his shot more.

Ryane Clowe and Malone weren't even NHL regulars at 23 so how exactly have they figured it out? FAIL

My mistake... they Clowe just turned 24 before breaking out and Malone was 23-turning 24 when he broke out.

But when they take become NHL regulars, Clowe had 34 points in 58 games, and Malone had 44 points in 77 games.

To put some additional perspective, both of those players were 6th and 4th rounders respectively. Kassian went 13th overall.

You're arguing with the clear evidence? :lol:

Oh I know but I truly believe he's a smart guy. He just has his opinions that he thinks are fact and then he finds any scrap of information and figures a way to twist it to fit his opinion. It's almost like dealing with a paranoid schizophrenic. If he could just see the forest for the trees once in a while he'd be at least intelligible; then he'd just have to work on the ol' personality.

Guest Dasein

What I noticed with Kass is that he only shoots when he absolutely needs to... Fortunately its not as severe as Henrik's pass first/never shoot mentality; however Kass has a much better shot and needs to use it.

Since Kass thinks pass first he usually slows down the offense therefore allowing the d to close the shooting lanes forcing the pass. This would be fine if he had someone like ovechkin and Neal on his line but Booth can't exactly finish as well as before and Richardson doesn't create enough space for Kass.

Basically, he needs to think the game faster and use his shot more.

I think that's just a confidence issue (like most young players and even some veterans) and he has none right now. When Kassian is going and he has that certain swagger to his game he does take the shot rather than pass.

Smh at the morons in here wishing kassian to be injured. We need this kid in the lineup. Kesler kass and sestito..what a line! The "we will rock you" line

If we could pick up Steve Ott at the deadline, a true third line of Sestito Ott and Kassian would rock any opponents first line.

It would free Kesler up to go back to scoring on a second line.

Archived