The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Too Early to call Kassian a dissapointment?

Go Go Canucks Go

Richardson with Booth and Kassian is a double edged sword.

He is the true grit on the line working hardest on the boards and defensively. Booth and Kassian are both so big, also fast, opponents have no means physically to take advantage of them. And despite some purports here don't give up the puck much. I would like to see a turnover report, but I suspect they are fine? So they win the play and end up in the offensive end creating pressure. Its certainly not a bad thing.

But they are not creating a ton of high grade chances, just shots directed at the net for the most part. Kassian in particular has soft hands. Booth historically has had a knack for breakout transition goals (Philly being a bad example, Boston a perfect example). A guy who has a knack for dropping saucer passes, in comparison to Richardson, to guys their size going to the net could be awesome. Do we play Booth and Kassian with a premium passer, Schroeder might be a candidate, or keep them with Richardson who is instilling the work rate?

edit: The Twins toi is down the last 5 or 10 games. I'd like to see Hank double shifted a cpl or 4 times a game to play with Booth and Kass!

I'd like to see Schroeder between Booth and Kassian, but it sounds like he's a month or more away from returning. In the mean time, Richardson is fine centring that line. He does seem to be teaching Kassian the work-rate thing, and a bit more reinforcement of that message can't be wrong. Another possibility is to put Santorelli at C on this line when Burrows is back. Santorelli would certainly bring the same level of energy as Richardson, but a bit more offensive flair and willingness to drive to the net. That could be a really dangerous line. I wouldn't have considered it a few games back when Kesler, Higgins and Santorelli were tearing it up, but if they go cold this is an option.

Booth is garbage. Brings down whichever line he's on.

Santo - Kesler - Burrows

Higgins - Richardson - Kassian

Booth still drives play very well so I wouldn't say he brings a line down, but his hands aren't up to his salary bracket, to put it kindly. He's 3rd line material on this team but somebody has to go down to the 4th line. Could be Booth but more likely Kassian, going by how Torts has been operating. Both deserve better, but the team needs a good 4th line.

Kassian is coming along nicely. He is doing exactly what the coach is asking him to do, figure out the D side of his game first and not run around looking for hits which would take him out of position. If he was screwing up like half the guys in this thread are suggesting, he'd be on the 4th line with minimal minutes. Torts doesn't feline-foot around with accountability.

Maturity takes a different course of time for different people - Kassian is taking a bit longer than others. When he gets it all together, he will be a force.

Re Hodgson, why is it never suggested he was a problem in the dressing room? That was a huge part of getting him out of here. The timing may not have been good, but to use a business analogy when a owner or mgr has a problem employee, no matter how talented they may be, if they are affecting the rest of the team get rid of the problem asap.

Poor comment. Or do you believe only stats count? I'll take the win on this one. Cue bass solo bud!

9 pts in 39 games. I dont blame you for not wanting to focus on stats. If Zack doesn't step up and start getting on the score sheet, we'll see how important stats are. 'Intangibles' wont help the Canucks if they dont make the playoffs.

True. And you are using that stat as an excuse as to why Zack isnt gettting all-star numbers. If Zack could only get the minutes, he'd be great. Well, I guess you can use that excuse for every 3rd and 4th liner in the league.

If you are not willing to give Kassian an inch then you have no right to complain about others giving him a mile.

If you are not willing to give Kassian an inch then you have no right to complain about others giving him a mile.

Fair enough comment. But I've always thought Zack was a 3rd line, 15-20 goal guy with a big body who can make the big hit and fight. Those kinda players are needed on teams, especially in the playoffs. He started out horribly this year but he's been playing better lately. I just cant stand the endless excuses that people make for him. I don't think he'll ever be a top line, 30+ goal scorer, Bertuzzi-like power forward. His fan club does and thats fine. If he proves me wrong, great. I'm a Canuck fan. But enough with the excuses. He's turning 23 this month, I get it. But Jamie Benn just turned 24 this past summer and look what he's doing. Benn is considered one of the best power forwards in the league.

Really like Kassian's game - has shown great vision and is making great passes consistently. Booth hasn't managed to finish much, and hasn't returned the favour, but imo Kassian is making a hell of a linemate of himself.

As for Hodgson, I get a kick out of those people resurfacing here who were trying to peddle the story that he's better than Kesler. Looks like Kesler will be centering the US Olympic team's top line...(So much for the comic relief that "Kesler is a third line center" lol).

Loved the dangle he tried to pull off, shows that hes gaining confidence in himself and wants to be a factor in the teams success. It seems like almost every game he sets booth up with an easy goal and Booth just shoots it wide. I think he's finally learning how to use his size and puck handling skills to create chances for himself and his teammates hopefully he gets a chance with the Sedins soon. Don't know why people doubt this kid he's so young and is getting better every game he just needs to be more consistent.

Archived