The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2014 WJHC Canadian Camp Invites released

Also Dumba is suspended for 3 games of IIHF, Canada is trying to make exhibition games count, but if they can't he won't be available until the game against USA new years eve I think. If he misses first 3 games that means we will only have 6 D... kinda scary.

Makes me wonder which forward would play D if someone got hurt?

Also Dumba is suspended for 3 games of IIHF, Canada is trying to make exhibition games count, but if they can't he won't be available until the game against USA new years eve I think. If he misses first 3 games that means we will only have 6 D... kinda scary.

Makes me wonder which forward would play D if someone got hurt?

That's Griffin Reinhart you are mistaking. Dumba didn't even make the team last year.

I think the roster is more like:

Drouin - Petan - Mantha

Shinkaruk - McDavid - Hudon

Reinhart- Horvat - Rychel

Gauthier - Laughton - Anderson

Lazar

(Girard and Leier as the cuts)

Reinhart - Pouliot

Ekblad - Morrissey

Pelech - Severson

Bigras

(I have Dumba not making it due to the fact that if any Minn D goes down, they will opt to keep him with the Wild - based on an earlier Bob McKenzie tweet)

Paterson

Fucale

Really? He was the 12th pick overall in last years's entry draft. I think it's very strange that he didn't get an invite. Same with Nurse and Monahan...

monahan didnt get one because calgary hasnt given hockey canada the green light for him to go. Nurse had a pretty awful showing in the super series, and team canada's defense is very competitive. Im not sure why Domi didnt get one i thought he played well in the super series.

Domi's not that great, he didn't get one because sutter saw through the name to what domi is, and slightly above average player playing on a stacked team.

he had a lucky breakout season last year, on a great team, and as such he got into the first round. if he were to be drafted this year, he wouldn't have went quite as high (definately not the first round).

I looked at the roster at first and thought there was a typo.....ridiculous amount of players that should be there are missing off that list.....

Also, pretty much no grinders or tougher energy players. Our WJ Program seems to really have gone down hill.

Hard to blame Canada for wanting to select a more skill-oriented roster when three guys got suspended at last year's tournament for making borderline hits (Camara, Hudon, Jenner). The IIHF has taken a no-tolerance approach on headshots in recent years. Too many times last year Canada put themselves shorthanded by making those hits.

In all honesty, it's a strategy that's probably more effective on NHL ice, anyway.

Also, pretty much no grinders or tougher energy players. Our WJ Program seems to really have gone down hill.

Not really true.

Girard, Anderson, Gauthier, Hudon, and Leier can all fill the energy player/grinder role when needed.

And the defence is extremely formidable, will be the strongest (both in skill and toughness) at the tournament.

Not really true.

Girard, Anderson, Gauthier, Hudon, and Leier can all fill the energy player/grinder role when needed.

And the defence is extremely formidable, will be the strongest (both in skill and toughness) at the tournament.

Horvat can also playing a checking role if asked. In fact I'm thinking the checking line will likely be Hudon-Horvat-Anderson.

Horvat can also playing a checking role if asked. In fact I'm thinking the checking line will likely be Hudon-Horvat-Anderson.

I missed the most obvious one there.

That very well could be the 3rd line, Horvat and Anderson will be on the same line for sure assuming both make it (and I don't see why they wouldn't).

I'm guessing a line-up like this:

Drouin- Reinhart - Mantha (Unbelievable offensive potential in every way)

Shinkaruk - Petan - Rychel (Two finishers outside of one of Juniors best playmakers)

Hudon - Horvat - Anderson (Could shut down any scoring line at the tournament)

Laughton - Gauthier - Lazar (Good grinder line, could see Lazar being replaced by Girard however)

McDavid (Will get a fair share of ice time however, just like Crosby did as a 13th as a 16 year old)

Leier and Girard cut (Leier just doesn't bring much that others cannot do better, Girard could squeek in though)

Reinhart - Pouliot (Reinhart is elite skill with speed issues, made up for by quickness of Pouliot)

Bigras - Dumba (Bigras is steady, allows Dumba to go for the big hit and the big rush)

Morrisey - Pelech (Another example of a quick offesnive threat, paired with a skilled but not very mobile player)

Ekblad (Can move throughout to make up for lack of right handed D)

Severson cut (Just like Leier, what he does others can do better, but may get in over Pelech since he is a righty)

Fucale (Starting job is his to lose)

Paterson (Will likely play a game or two)

Of course, these likely won't be "true" lines in respect to ice time. With that much skill you just play who is doing damage.

Hahahaha Lames fans are furious Poirier didn't make it and Shinkaruk did. Funny stuff

Can't really blame them if you look at it from a numbers perspective. However I don't think Poirier did much in the Subway Series other than crush Zykov. Shink's chemistry with Petan and that nice goal in the final game probably was a big factor in him making it.

Question mark for me is Felix Girard? Poirier seems to have this guy beat everywhere as do many others.

Too bad Gaunce didn't make it. Sutter seems to have a bit of an issue with him, but I guess with his speed and playing on the big ice its not to unreasonable. I still think you need guys like him to fill roles, but I'm no scout so what do I know. Hopefully Bo and Hunter can make the final cut. It'll be fun to have someone to watch on team Canada again!

Any know if Josh ANderson plays on the same line as Horvat in London? Maybe thats why he got invited for chemistry?

anderson made it because he played extremely hard and was one of the better players in the russia games. they have good chemistry, but bo has chemistry with pretty much everybody

What the.....Cassels and snubbed? What's wrong with hockey canada? Gaunce too. He's better than half that team!

I don't understand what your problem is man. How is it that every post you make turns to be such a joke?

Extremely glad for both Shinkaruk and Horvat! Somewhere Feaster is hiding from the angry Flames fans.

Archived