The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Edler - Powerforward?

Brendan Gaunce

Alex-Edler-on-the-bench-600x300.jpg

As we all know, Alex Edler's struggles are continuing as a defenceman. Game after game he is continuing to give away the puck and allow odd-man rushes.

Without him in the lineup, look at the Canucks.. 6 wins in a row, 6 goals against in those games. They have been playing unreal without him. Is it the team rallying together to replace the missing Edler and Burrows; or are they truly better without him?

It is highly unlikely he will be traded to another team, or be asked to waive the NTC. It is unknown if he would be even willing to waive it. If he were traded, it would be ideal to get a 'proven' top-6 FWD and bottom 6 D in return.

I've always been a fan of Edler, but his trends of inconsistency are starting to become more consistent. If we could just see him play more of those 'flashy' games that we all know, we wouldn't be having all these proposals and discussions to trade him.

With it being implausible to trade Edler, it may be time to reconsider how he is used. Could you see Edler becoming a PWF like Brent Burns has in SJS? He has always had a great offensive upside and is strong on the puck, it is where he thrives in. He has good cycling skills with the Sedins on the PP and he could possibly play very well with them on the top line?

Felt like posting a topic and my opinion a bit.

I've always been a fan of Edler, but his trends of inconsistency are starting to become more consistent. If we could just see him play more of those 'flashy' games that we all know, we wouldn't be having all these proposals and discussions to trade him.

people need to be more patient. I think he is a coachable player, and Torts will get him headed in the right direction.

Actually he has a point and I have never thought about this before. Think Brent Burns... I would love to see this as an option.

Pretty sure Burns was a forward and they switched him to defense in Junior so it wasn't really that difficult to switch back to being a forward at the NHL level.

yup people forget that Bieksa has gone through some stretches of very bad hockey too...give him some time to get things together again....also, injuries havnt helped him out.

Bieksa's rough patch didn't drag out as long as Edler's is now. Edler has been consistently sloppy since that LA series in 2012 in my opinion.

Alex-Edler-on-the-bench-600x300.jpg

As we all know, Alex Edler's struggles are continuing as a defenceman. Game after game he is continuing to give away the puck and allow odd-man rushes.

Without him in the lineup, look at the Canucks.. 6 wins in a row, 6 goals against in those games. They have been playing unreal without him. Is it the team rallying together to replace the missing Edler and Burrows; or are they truly better without him?

It is highly unlikely he will be traded to another team, or be asked to waive the NTC. It is unknown if he would be even willing to waive it. If he were traded, it would be ideal to get a 'proven' top-6 FWD and bottom 6 D in return.

With it being implausible to trade Edler, it may be time to reconsider how he is used. Could you see Edler becoming a PWF like Brent Burns has in SJS? He has always had a great offensive upside and is strong on the puck, it is where he thrives in. He has good cycling skills with the Sedins on the PP and he could possibly play very well with them on the top line?

Felt like posting a topic and my opinion a bit.

This guy isn't willing to be physical in his own end protecting a goal, how aggresive do you really think he would be as a power forward? I would call him a big soft forward.

Brent Burns has always been a physical force it was his backwards skating speed that was his problem as a D. Edler has a bigger problem, it's called heart/will. He doesn't want to play physical or hit and at his size that just doesn't work in any position.

Archived