The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[OFFICIAL] Canucks Injury Thread

Blueberries

Schroeder had some really good chemistry with booth actually which is why I was waiting since October for him to get back. He is very hard working and judging from last year when he won us a couple of games single handily (against good defensive teams) I think he would do well.

I want to see a line of

Hansen-Schroeder-Booth all super fast great skaters which is what JS relies on to score goals, good defensively and with a fast, skilled play-making player I think Booth + Hansen can thrive.

Only issue is size but hey there is St'Louis to prove us wrong there.

Schroeder had some really good chemistry with booth actually which is why I was waiting since October for him to get back. He is very hard working and judging from last year when he won us a couple of games single handily (against good defensive teams) I think he would do well.

I want to see a line of

Hansen-Schroeder-Booth all super fast great skaters which is what JS relies on to score goals, good defensively and with a fast, skilled play-making player I think Booth + Hansen can thrive.

Only issue is size but hey there is St'Louis to prove us wrong there.

I've also been advocating a Booth-Schroeder-Hansen line since the offseason.

I'm more excited, however, about the potential for reuniting Hansen with Schroeder.

People dismiss Schroeder's scoring potential when they look at him only putting up nine points over 31 GP last season. What's missed here is the fact that five of those points came during the half dozen games in 2012-13 when Schroeder played complete games with Hansen and Raymond on his wings (at even strength). During those same half dozen games, Raymond and Hansen were also each scoring at a point per game pace with Schroeder as their centerman.

EDIT: IIRC, Schroeder also enjoyed a 4 game scoring streak during the longest period of the 2012-13 season when that line was kept together (through the full 60 minutes of each game--with no juggling).

Over 130:44 EVTOI played together during 2012-13, Schroeder and Hansen, respectively, put up the following even strength scoring lines:

Schroeder: 2 goals, 3 assists, 5 points, 9 shots, 21 Corsi (attempted shots)

Hansen: 4 goals, 3 assists, 7 points, 26 shots, 41 Corsi

Raymond played 230:39 total EVTOI with Schroeder, however nearly all of their productivity together came during the roughly 1/2 of that icetime when Hansen completed the line. Here's Raymond's even strength scoring line (while playing with Schroeder):

Raymond: 2 goals, 6 assists, 8 points, 27 shots, 45 Corsi

I've said it repeatedly but I suppose it's worth saying again: Last season, when Schroeder was given an offensive role with quality linemates (including some wicked chemistry with Hansen), he (and his wingers) produced offense at a 1st line scoring rate. For the 2012-13 season, anything above 2.0 points/60 qualified as first line scoring in the NHL. When they played together, Hansen and Schroeder were producing even strength scoring at 3.2 points/60 and 2.3 points/60, respectively (and Raymond also produced something around 3 points/60 while playing on that line).

While the injury situation that has created an opening is certainly nothing to relish, I am glad that there appears to be a window for Schroeder to return to this lineup and get a chance to play quality minutes in the process.

With Hansen struggling offensively, and having a difficult time finding a good line fit and chemistry this season, being reunited with Jordan Schroeder might very well provide the tonic he's been needing. I have high hopes for what those two can achieve together.

The other winger who rounds out a line with Schroeder-Hansen (whoever it is) should benefit greatly from their chemistry. While Booth didn't produce much scoring with Schroeder last season (he didn't score with anyone really), he did achieve his best Corsi numbers when he had Schroeder as his centerman. They were strong on possession and they created scoring opportunities, they just couldn't finish (which was hardly unique for any of Booth's linemates last season). What Booth does provide, when healthy and on his game, is similar skating ability to what Raymond has but with more physicality and a greater willingness to go strong to the net. In theory, Booth might provide a good fit and a Booth-Schroeder-Hansen line might strike a pretty good balance.

As for the Schroeder conditioning stint, I agree with those who say it's a no-brainer that he's getting a couple games to shake off the rust and find his legs again. I can't remember who it was but someone from the Canucks organization, over the last 24 hours, said that they look at the current situation as the schedule giving the team a significant opportunity.

Basically, what was said (and I'll look for the quote) is that with the Comets playing a Friday-Saturday back-to-back in Abbotsford, the Canucks can give Schroeder two full AHL games without him needing to leave the Vancouver area. This allows the team to really get a close look at Schroeder, given that he's basically playing in the Canucks' backyard. When the Comets leave town for a three-game home stand in Utica starting on the 28th, it's expected that Schroeder will get recalled to the Canucks (and he never leaves town). If all goes well, there's a good chance he joins the lineup for Sunday's game versus the 'Yotes. Otherwise, he gets in some practice with the team before joining the lineup on Monday (Oilers) or Wednesday ('Hawks).

Also, is anyone else hearing that Hank's expected back for the 29th versus Chicago? And Richardson possibly good to go for tonight?

Never mind on Richardson:

Jim Jamieson@JamiesonCanucks 53m

Canucks skate very optional, but Brad Richardson on the ice so looks good to go after missing practice on Wednesday.

Looks like he should be back in for tonight's lineup. Good news!

EDIT: typos

Farhan Lalji@FarhanLaljiTSN 4m

Ryan Stanton returns to the lineup. Weber to sit. #canucks

Vancouver Canucks@VanCanucks 3m

Sullivan confirms that Stanton will return to the line-up tonight. "He makes us a better team. We're excited to have him back."

Vancouver Canucks@VanCanucks 3m

Henrik will not play tonight.

I feel bad for Webber, he's been pretty good.

I've also been advocating a Booth-Schroeder-Hansen line since the offseason.

I'm more excited, however, about the potential for reuniting Hansen with Schroeder.

He did look decent with Hansen and Raymond, but I wonder if Schroeder wouldn't work better between Booth and Kassian. That of course assumes Booth isn't a black hole and can score a bit while also creating space and driving to the net, but I think Schroeder could really do well to set up those two. Kesler will still be up with Daniel and Burrows, then we'd have Richardson with Higgins and Hansen, and Sestito, Lain and Weise.

We'll have to wait and see on Santorelli and Henrik. Good to hear Richardson is good to go though, and I'm a little envious of anyone going to one of the two Heat/Comets games this weekend.

You can't honestly tell me you prefer Stanton over Weber on the powerplay...

Our PP can't score with either of them out there. I'll take Stanton's overall more complete game for the ~50+ minutes we're not a man up any day. Sorry.

Our PP can't score with either of them out there. I'll take Stanton's overall more complete game for the ~50+ minutes we're not a man up any day. Sorry.

Our powerplay scored against Calgary in a really emotional game to tie it up 2-2. And oh yeah, it was Weber who scored. Our pp is horrendous but if it's going to come through every once in a while to save a game for us, I'd feel better with Weber manning the point. Again, not taking anything away from Stanton, his overall play is better than Weber but we have lots of defensive D-men on the team already (Hamhuis, Tanev, Garrison, and sometimes Bieksa). I'm saying since we're lacking offense right now, I'd slot in Weber over Stanton. Sorry.

I wouldn't use Weber over Staton personally, yes Weber has a big shot but a large majority of the time it's not affective. The only time it has been affective is off a deflection. Weber makes way too many mistakes in the neutral zone and on the blue line when trying to keep the forecheck pressure going. Stantons overall game is a lot better, you can easily replace Kesler with Weber on the PP (after Henrik is back obviously).

Also:

PLAYER GP G A P

RYAN STANTON 36 1 10 11

YANNICK WEBER 28 2 3 5

Yeah Weber's quite the offensive juggernaut in comparison :rolleyes:

Dude I'm not as tunnel visioned to just look at numbers and say this player is better than that player in this situation because of this number. I can dig up numbers too and tell you that player A is better offensively than player B because of a few more assists, but I wouldn't even be persuading myself with that argument. You still haven't answered my question, would you rather have Weber or Stanton on your pp?

Your point is fair enough that their point totals don't tell the whole story. Weber is more of an offensive guy where Stanton gets points through hard work and good general play. Weber's the better choice on the PP in general for his offensive abilities, but J.R. did point out that he'd rather have Stanton in the line up overall considering the majority of time played is 5 on 5 (plus there's the PK) and Weber isn't as effective in those situations.

Your point is fair enough that their point totals don't tell the whole story. Weber is more of an offensive guy where Stanton gets points through hard work and good general play. Weber's the better choice on the PP in general for his offensive abilities, but J.R. did point out that he'd rather have Stanton in the line up overall considering the majority of time played is 5 on 5 (plus there's the PK) and Weber isn't as effective in those situations.

*DING, DING, DING*

Archived