The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[OFFICIAL] Canucks Injury Thread

Blueberries

Weber still makes me nervous in our own zone. I'd take Stanton over him personally. It allows Bieksa to be more adventurous offensively too.

But this is all round great news any way you look at it!

I agree Weber makes me nervous in his own zone.

Far too often it seems like he seems to panic in his own end, hands the puck away and looks too small when he's up against bigger opposition which is something that the teams we can't beat seem to all have size.

Hopefully the lineup gets healthy i like the looks of this team with skilled upgrades over Dalpe and Weise although we will get smaller but we need more goals not more skilless players hitting.

With the injuries right now, and Torts away for 5 more games Schroeder will get a look I'm sure, but I can't see him eating up 2nd line minutes after missing half the season, and basically being a rookie player.

Unless Schroeder pulls a Santorelli and makes it impossible not to play him, I don't think he's going to see much ice when Henrik and Santo are healthy.

I don't see where he fits on this team going forward.

Edler is redundant! He turns the puck over more than the rest of our D combined, is slow, isn't playing physical and isn't producing points. I'd rather have Stanton and Weber in right now. Weber has serious speed and looks like if he got comfortable, he could play a style like Karlsson (not saying he is Karlsson).

Agree Weber has shown some beauty tools. Probably be most effective with sheltered 15-18 mins(& PP contributions). Stanton & his own emergence make Edler about as redundant as the 8-track in your monster truck!

Edler is redundant! He turns the puck over more than the rest of our D combined, is slow, isn't playing physical and isn't producing points. I'd rather have Stanton and Weber in right now. Weber has serious speed and looks like if he got comfortable, he could play a style like Karlsson (not saying he is Karlsson).

No, he doesn't.

Have we had our entire Top 6 D crew healthy at one time all year?

I reckon Weber sits...

As for J Schro, if Hank was not hurt, Richardson limping I would have been in to max out his conditioning stint. Coming off back to back's, big ice time would have helped gear him up!

I feel like Schroeder is a smaller, more skilled version of Santorelli. Made me realize that if Schroeder can stay healthy it may make Santorelli an odd man out next year.

I'd call it a faster more skilled version, notably with a better shot and some nimble stick handling / passing. All of which are good.

But he's not as hard on the puck or into the corners. And to my eye Schroeder plays the game too conservatively. Add in Santorelli's experience and ATM I would rather play (if healthy) Santorelli.

Santorelli has the experience of almost washing out of the league. Now he plays the game with desperation, to make every shift count. That's a lesson Schroeder will have to learn before I grant him Santorelli's spot...

I am happy Stanton is ready, but it is unfortunate for Weber as he has been playing rather well. No reason he should be taken out of lineup. Going to be an interesting few games before the Olympics. I feel a trade coming before the break, most insiders speculating a busy week before Sochi.

Weber has a big shot. For the most part also plays error free, which is worth noting!

That aside he has not done much more than bide time for Corrado to play big minutes in the minors. He's not really a guy who makes plays happen with the puck on his stick, or rush the puck. Not fast enough to offer serious close out speed, or big enough to pose a challenge on the boards. Sorta does not impact on the game positively or negatively?

Makes for a functional 7th man, where he will probably stick. I'm not fussed if he's not in the lineup. The real debate is would we hang on to him and Alberts if everyone were healthy...

No, he doesn't.

Meehhh...Still redundant and not performing near the level he need to be. Got danced like a first year Bantam last night and it cost a goal. He's just not that good and for what he costs, some of our young guys look like they could step in and the D would still be solid if were moved.

Meehhh...Still redundant and not performing near the level he need to be. Got danced like a first year Bantam last night and it cost a goal. He's just not that good and for what he costs, some of our young guys look like they could step in and the D would still be solid if were moved.

i guess you missed the games with him out and the defense looked like crap Bieksa Hamhuis Garrison even Tanev all making mental mistakes

whether people want to admit it or not the defense is better with Edler in the lineup

who's gets benched on D? I think Weber has been playing well it'd be a shame to sit him out. I also think he might have more value to us right now than Stanton because he brings offensive upside to the table... I think Stanton might be a little redundant with this D core right now since we're looking for more offense.

EDIT: Don't get me wrong I'm happy Stanton is back and I know he's a good D-man, I'm just looking at the situation we're in right now.

stanton: 11 pts in 36 gp

weber: 5 pts in 28 gp

which one brings more offense again?

i guess you missed the games with him out and the defense looked like crap Bieksa Hamhuis Garrison even Tanev all making mental mistakes

whether people want to admit it or not the defense is better with Edler in the lineup

I think the team did pretty good without Edler (Decemnber win streak) but the D struggled once Stanton went down and the other D had to log more minutes.

Just don't see Elder as tough enough, fast enough, mobile enough, physical enough or smart enough to justify his contract. If the rest of the D are healthy, the team is fine without him.

Today was a maintenance day for Richardson. Henrik remains day-to-day. -Sully

Looks like he's not injured

LOL, like we get the straight goods about injuries from Torts and his gang...

What I really wonder is exactly how banged up is Hank.

Side note; someone has got to have a chat with Eberle. No, too small to have say Bieksa fight him. But a good rub out on the boards, sit on him for a while, and talk facts of life... <_<

With the injuries right now, and Torts away for 5 more games Schroeder will get a look I'm sure, but I can't see him eating up 2nd line minutes after missing half the season, and basically being a rookie player.

Unless Schroeder pulls a Santorelli and makes it impossible not to play him, I don't think he's going to see much ice when Henrik and Santo are healthy.

I don't see where he fits on this team going forward.

I tend to agree unfortunately. But all the more reason to showcase him in a role and up his value for a trade see: Hodgson.

I think the team did pretty good without Edler (Decemnber win streak) but the D struggled once Stanton went down and the other D had to log more minutes.

Just don't see Elder as tough enough, fast enough, mobile enough, physical enough or smart enough to justify his contract. If the rest of the D are healthy, the team is fine without him.

67 hits 2nd on the team defense played

76 blocked shots 4th on the team defense

19 giveaways with Bieksa having 42 and Hamhuis 41 the only reason this isn't noticeable is because their plus/minus is better than Edler which is a direct result of the goalie or d-partner or forwards bailing them out

oh he also played only 32 games while others have played 51 he would be first in most real time stat categories if he played all the games

again i will say the only thing people have to back their argument is points and plus/minus

plus/minus is a useless stat you can step on the ice and doing nothing for a plus or minus

points the only one he is far behind is Garrison with 26 points Edler at 11 points Bieksa 16 Hamhuis 14 Tanev 13 all have played more games than Edler

you can talk all you want about Edler not being physical but the Numbers Don't Lie when he is one of our most physical defenseman

Schroeder will have a good opportunity to show of his playmaking skill now with Hank out for a few games. Based on he previous few games, his vision is incredible, much like a lot of stars in the league, including Henrik and Daniel.

67 hits 2nd on the team defense played

76 blocked shots 4th on the team defense

19 giveaways with Bieksa having 42 and Hamhuis 41 the only reason this isn't noticeable is because their plus/minus is better than Edler which is a direct result of the goalie or d-partner or forwards bailing them out

oh he also played only 32 games while others have played 51 he would be first in most real time stat categories if he played all the games

again i will say the only thing people have to back their argument is points and plus/minus

plus/minus is a useless stat you can step on the ice and doing nothing for a plus or minus

points the only one he is far behind is Garrison with 26 points Edler at 11 points Bieksa 16 Hamhuis 14 Tanev 13 all have played more games than Edler

you can talk all you want about Edler not being physical but the Numbers Don't Lie when he is one of our most physical defenseman

Well said.

Edler makes far less mistakes than Hamhuis. Not sure about Bieksa... I would say they are pretty even.

Even if you throw out quantity of hits and just focus on quality. Edlers hits are far more bone crushing than hammers and usually on part with Bieksa.

There's a reason he's the highest paid dman on our team... The fact that people rag on him is solely because they just have too big of a hard on for bieksa and hammer.

I too have a major one for Bieksa. Hard not to. The guy stands up for his team mates... Hamhuis on the other hand is constantly coughing up the puck and throwing useless shots at the net.

Edler is great.

Bieksa and Hamhuis are slightly less great in my books

And every day I picture you wasting another tissue just because of what one of my posts said.

In case you haven't noticed, this team is fairly banged-up at this point. Not good considering how little depth we had at the start of the season. And gee, it's starting to affect our performance, y'think?

The day we took Dalpe instead of signing a vet, say Gagne, I commented how much we looked like a team collecting a few young assets in comparison to putting the best team together? Then giving em a head start on what we perceive as our real stallions; Horvat and Shinkaruk.

So far Stanton is a hit.

Kass is improving and looks like he'll get there.

Dalpe and Welsh, meh

Now maybe we finally find out about Schroeder...

Archived