The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Group A • Dec. 28 • Canada vs. Czech Republic • 8:30 AM PT

2 of the goals wouldn't of happened if Canada handled the faceoffs better

Those 2 that Paterson let in were incredibly soft and ones he had to make saves on. You could really only say one of them was on the team when Ekblad wiffed on a clearing attempt.

Awful, awful game from Canada. Goaltending was bad defense was invisible. The Horvat-Reinhart-McDavid line was dominating until McDavid Took a couple stupid penalties. Lackluster performance at best. Canada needs to give their heads a shake.

There was no reason Canada should have been in a SO with the Czech team let alone losing it.

Fucale needs to get the start after that.

Sutter really isn't getting the most out of this team. Players are not being used to their strengths enough IMO.

Gaunce may not have huge offensive upside, but I'm thinking they could have used his defensive game after watching this team. Not to mention his leadership. He was the captain of a young Belleville team after all.

Sutter really isn't getting the most out of this team. Players are not being used to their strengths enough IMO.

Gaunce may not have huge offensive upside, but I'm thinking they could have used his defensive game after watching this team. Not to mention his leadership. He was the captain of a young Belleville team after all.

Lets face reality here. This is no gold medal caliber team. TSN is just hyping it up they predicted that this team would win gold. They totally forgot about Sweden, USA, Russia. I am not saying this because we lost but barring a miracle USA will not lose their next game and now there is very little chance that we get first in Group A. Means we will have a tougher match-up later in the round. Means no way lower chance of gold. Still got hope though.

It'll be interesting to see who gets the start against Slovakia. My guess is that Sutter goes against his tradition of rolling with one guy and switches to Fucale.

Does it really matter at this point? I would consider it a miracle if we even some how manage to finish 4th...

Thought Paterson looked bad last game, and that was facing no pressure. Imagine how he'll look vs. Sweden.

Canada doesn't take enough defensive defensemen. The Czechs just blew through some boardplay like it was nothing. And they looked lost several times in front of their own net.

Sutter stands there and stares.

McDavid was easily put off his game today. Oops.

Overall, we know this team can play better than they did today. If not, goodbye medals.

Before the tournament I said Canada didn't have enough firepower and wasted too many spots for guys that are clearly not skilled enough. I got flamed for being too negative but it appears that is the case right now. Guys like Gauthier, Leier, and Anderson simply don't have enough skill for this tournament. I know there role is not to score but defensively they haven't been impressive either. Leier has 0 points playing quite a bit with Drouin. I know Shinkaruk was not healthy to play but don't you think Max domi would have done better than Leier? Our third and fourth lines haven't provided much at all scoring wise whereas other teams in the tournament are rolling all four lines. Our offence is basically made up of two lines ( Horvat and Drouin's lines). Now how on Earth can we compete with 4 effing lines from our opponents? I know Paterson played bad but come on goaltending shouldn't be the deciding factor against a team like Czech Republic. If we had a better offense, we wouldn't have this conversation.

We need to just play a really physical game like how we did against Germany and hurt those softies. USA is soft, Russia is soft, and Sweden is soft. Just hit them like how we did against Ovie and Malkin. Then they got scared and stopped playing.

We need to just play a really physical game like how we did against Germany and hurt those softies. USA is soft, Russia is soft, and Sweden is soft. Just hit them like how we did against Ovie and Malkin. Then they got scared and stopped playing.

Lol they will prob get suspended for "injuring" by the IIHF

Before the tournament I said Canada didn't have enough firepower and wasted too many spots for guys that are clearly not skilled enough. I got flamed for being too negative but it appears that is the case right now. Guys like Gauthier, Leier, and Anderson simply don't have enough skill for this tournament. I know there role is not to score but defensively they haven't been impressive either. Leier has 0 points playing quite a bit with Drouin. I know Shinkaruk was not healthy to play but don't you think Max domi would have done better than Leier? Our third and fourth lines haven't provided much at all scoring wise whereas other teams in the tournament are rolling all four lines. Our offence is basically made up of two lines ( Horvat and Drouin's lines). Now how on Earth can we compete with 4 effing lines from our opponents? I know Paterson played bad but come on goaltending shouldn't be the deciding factor against a team like Czech Republic. If we had a better offense, we wouldn't have this conversation.

you raise good points. domi was a big question mark for me too. I think he was left off tthe team because he acted like an idiot at the end of one of the summer exhibition games and left canada shorthanded for like 7 mins.

skilled but zero discipline

you raise good points. domi was a big question mark for me too. I think he was left off tthe team because he acted like an idiot at the end of one of the summer exhibition games and left canada shorthanded for like 7 mins.

skilled but zero discipline

Thanks. I used Domi as an example but guys like Brown, Gaunce and hell even Poirer could probably add more scoring to the team. Theres a reason players are drafted in the first round. I have a hard time understanding why players like Leier and Petan on the team as offensive players over guys drafted in the first round.

An up and down game, Canada looked really good at times and pretty poor at others. I've been very unimpressed with Rychel so far, I think the big ice must be hurting him.

Watching Canada lately has reminded me of watching the Canucks when they would heavily out chance the other team and lose and all these people would ask why the Canucks kept running into hot goalies.

Overall I enjoyed the game but was disappointed in the loss. Canada can still finish first in their division so it may not end up meaning much.

Archived