The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks don't miss Edler at all

gradin123

I don't for a second believe that this teams needs Edler as much as people think we do. The team has played exponentially better as a whole without him. Personally, I think we have far too many glaring holes up front to bother trying to fit Edler into a lineup that doesn't need him when we have players like Hamhuis, Bieksa, Garrison, and Tanev outplaying him on a nightly basis, plus a great prospect like Corrado looking more and more NHL ready.

To me Edler is much more valuable as a trade chip for the legitimate top-6 foward we have needed for the passed 3 seasons.

Edler and Booth take up a combined $9+ million in salary to play subpar hockey. It's clear nobody wants Booth or his contract, but teams are knocking down our door trying to get Edler.

Unfortunately, as long as Mike Gillis is in charge of this team Edler won't be going anywhere and we'll have years of continued mediocrity.

Edler is a physical offensive defenseman. I remarked Tanev only had 1 goal because that's all he has produced (no assists). Tanev is a stay at home shutdown defenseman so it isn't his job to score, it's his job to shut down the other team's forwards (something he has been doing consistently and there has been no change to this even with Edler being injured). If Tanev were replacing Edler he would be seeing more PP time and racking up points, something he hasn't been doing.

Apparently, Edler's 3 goals and 6 assists in 27 games of massive PP time (and a -12), cannot be replaced with Tanev's 4 goals 8 assists in 41 games with almost no PP time Tanev is +9 in a shut down role). With a team leading -12,and exactly as many PP goals as Tanev - ZERO, that Edler is easily replaced on the PP. See: http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm?season=20132014&gameType=2&team=VAN&position=S&country=&status=&viewName=summary

It seems to be the attitude of 'what have you done for us lately' these days. Tou have to look at the resume and track record. The minus 12 doesnt speak to the level of his play, ask Torts of his character, skill and compete level. Torts speaks highly of Edler. I believe Edler will make a difference this season and in playoffs.

27 games with the first coach other than AV or his associates is not much of a sample size considering it was 2006 and he was with the Kelowna Rockets the last time he had a different coach. He is also only 72 games played away from his all-star season (last year everybody not named Sedin or Schneider sucked.) Learn some patience CDC.

No Trade Clause. This is not a thing that means a player is untouchable. It only means the [player gets the choice to decide where he wants to go if/when he is asked to waive it. It saves him from going to the Sabres the Panthers or the like.

Ask yourself which 4 teams Edler would most likely Waive for and then decide what those teams have to give up for Edler. He would waive for the right team, don't kid yourselves.

Detroit

New York Rangers

Tax Free Tampa

Tax Free Florida

These are four common sense teams a young D man of his calibre would waive for, for a number of reasons. Now ask yourselves what they can give in return and stop believing th

at NTC means he is never going to leave the team

Florida is not tax free, it has no state income tax. Players still have to pay federal tax (35%) and whatever other taxes that may be relevent to that state/jurisdiction. There are several other states with no income tax, one is Texas (Dallas).

Edler Burrows and Booth for Richards and Callahan

Rangers were probabaly going to buy out Richards and he needs a new start and they can take Booth. Edler and Burrows were meh this year and played well under AV and Callahan was Torts favorite. We give about 14 million and take in 11.5 million so we get some more cap also

Sedin-Sedin-Richards

Santorelli-Kesler-Callahan

blank-Schroeder-Kassian

Sestito-Richardson-Dalpe,Weise, etc

We miss him. I wish we would just stop posting.

He is a solid d-man - who is inconsistent, potentially because of injury recovery.

A huge part of his game was physical, and with that back injury he was lost. And then this year the suspension which was total BS. And he wasn't the same and played tepid and got injured because of it (well maybe not, but it always seems that way doesn't it?)

When someone mentioned convert Edler to a winger, I laughed. But the more I think about it, it's not a bad call as a 5-10 game experiment. Here's why.

He's gotten at least 20 points per season as a defensemen. So you know the shot and the offence is there.

Put him on the Sedin line (Sorry Hansen). Have the Sedin's get him the puck in the slot, and shoot.

He has been known to be physical, and defensively responsible. But he seems out of sorts. By putting him at forward he can still be responsible defensively, but not the pressure of being on the top defensive pairing.

The real advantage is when Burrows comes back, both Hansen and Burrows can be shifted around to improve offence.

And the added benefit if one of our defensemen are hurt Edler can slot in.

It's worked for Buffy, and worked for Brent Burns. Maybe it's worth a shot. He can't be any worse than Booth.

Archived