The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks don't miss Edler at all

gradin123

No Trade Clause. This is not a thing that means a player is untouchable. It only means the [player gets the choice to decide where he wants to go if/when he is asked to waive it. It saves him from going to the Sabres the Panthers or the like.

Ask yourself which 4 teams Edler would most likely Waive for and then decide what those teams have to give up for Edler. He would waive for the right team, don't kid yourselves.

Detroit

New York Rangers

Tax Free Tampa

Tax Free Florida

These are four common sense teams a young D man of his calibre would waive for, for a number of reasons. Now ask yourselves what they can give in return and stop believing that NTC means he is never going to leave the team

You are correct on all points. Except, if Edler really wanted out, why would he re-sign with a team that didn't want him? He could ahve just walked onto the open market and signed for more cash. His actions lend to the fact that he wants to be here and the team re-signing him wanted him there too. All these trade Edler scenarios are all shaped around a rumour that the Canucks allegedly were offering him around before the extension was signed. If they weren;t offering him around, then they aren't doing a good job at trying to improve. However, they obviously did not get the counters they were looking for re-signed him long term instead. Can they trade him now? Sure. But will they trade him is a different question.

I don't see Florida, but I was thinking the other 3, potentially Ottawa being another I think NTC also guarantee that a player doesn't get " Sillingered" lol at how some people think NTC = never traded contracts :lol:

The benefit to Florida based teams are

A: Tax Free

B: Young and on the rise

C: Not cold

D: Top pairing minutes

E: Out of the spotlight

These are HUGE benefits for just about any player which is why we see so many decent Vets signing in Florida for a shade less money or a shade longer term.

You are correct on all points. Except, if Edler really wanted out, why would he re-sign with a team that didn't want him? He could ahve just walked onto the open market and signed for more cash. His actions lend to the fact that he wants to be here and the team re-signing him wanted him there too. All these trade Edler scenarios are all shaped around a rumour that the Canucks allegedly were offering him around before the extension was signed. If they weren;t offering him around, then they aren't doing a good job at trying to improve. However, they obviously did not get the counters they were looking for re-signed him long term instead. Can they trade him now? Sure. But will they trade him is a different question.

I won't argue any of your points. I am in the trade him for solid picks/prospects camp myself as I don't think he will ever be the same player he was with Ehrhoff pre surgery. I also think that this year he nets us a top 5 overall pick and a solid prospect which would more than fill the hole of him leaving. That or he would net us a solid chance at a top 5 overall pick next year if shopped to the right team (Isles Sabres Florida Tampa or Columbus) and a prospect.

But I do not in any way shape or form think he is detrimental to this team. He makes this team better no question, he just needs to figure out the new system and regain his comfort level as he's only ever played under AV. Once he figures it out he will help this team, he just needs to stop trying to do to much.

He can shut down, or he can score, he cannot keep trying to do both which is what happens when we see him flub so miserably at times this year. He overthinks a play and creates an odd man rush, seen it a few times where he pinches when he should be covering his man, or he covers the line instead of pinching.

Once he is comfortable again he will be just fine and then we can look at his $5 million contract and think "WOW what a steal" in comparison to the Phaneuf type D men getting huge money

I would agree with that, but there's a catch. If you make Edler a forward you are giving up on Edler the defenseman. With his contract, he'd have to play really amazingly really fast for it to work

2way forwards don't exist? While he wont be as heavily relied upon in the defence zone doesent mean he wouldent be used there at all to defend and could play into his strength being more used to produce offence while still being used to keep pucks out of the net with 2 other d that are more solid the the back end

Yeah with Edlers "whopping" 9 points in 27 games he sure is our big offensive defensemen this year. Tanev has more points and is +21 better than Edler this season, so I think he is doing fine. We are a better team with Edler in the lineup over one of our depth defensemen, but we would be an even better team if we traded Edler for something substantial.

Contrary to popular belief, it is possible for players to struggle when they have to adapt to a new system. Hamhuis was just as miserable at the beginning of the season yet virtually nobody ragged on him because he is not in CDC's rotation of whipping boys (see Kassian and Booth). Edler has consistently been one of our top scoring D-men since 2008 and was a major part of our PP's success. Trading him now would considerably cause our depth to thin because then we are only one measly injury (either Hamhuis or Garrison) away from having a d-core that can no longer score. Then we look as stupid as we did in the Boston series when our dinged up defensemen could barely do squat. People tend to underestimate how much we rely on our defensemen to move the puck and create scoring opportunities, which is why trading Edler would be naive.

I'd agree Tanev won't be an offensive defenseman. Thing is, does Alex fit that bill? 6 points in 22 games (the time between his suspension and injury) doesn't really fit that billing, does it, considering he played more than 20 minutes in 20 of those games? He's also only contributed two power-play points all season! Does that really make him the offensive PP guru we need to get things started, with those stats? Would you really pay $5 million for that? Add on his +/- and lack of chemistry with Garrison on ES along with their somewhat redundant role on the PP (both are bombers but Edler's lack of creativity means he basically always tees it up for Jason) and it's tough to not get frustrated, when he doesn't come close to playing how he could.

See above.

I take seriously the rumours that there were detailed talks with Detroit and Montreal before Edler's NTC kicked in. If so, the fact that nothing happened suggests that there may not be such a great market for him out there. Or at least that Gillis didn't think the return was high enough. So if nobody is willing to pay the asking price and if Edler now has an NTC in effect, it's pretty hard to see how he's going to be moved. Things could change, but right now he's still a 25 minute a night defenseman. You don't often move those in the middle of a season, let alone one in which you still hope to contend. It takes too much reorganizing. I don't see any way it could happen this year. If his value continues to drop next year, he might become available but will be even harder to move. For better or worse, I think he's here for the duration of his contract.

Well lots of people love Edler... and so do I before 2012. Something happened to him, and it might be his back injury. I thought this was the year he would turn things around, but some bad luck is getting in the way? Hope he bounces back when he gets back in the lineup.

In any case, based on the last few years, you can't say he is worth a whole lot - potentially he is worth a ton, but that hasn't shown up in years...

Well lots of people love Edler... and so do I before 2012. Something happened to him, and it might be his back injury. I thought this was the year he would turn things around, but some bad luck is getting in the way? Hope he bounces back when he gets back in the lineup.

In any case, based on the last few years, you can't say he is worth a whole lot - potentially he is worth a ton, but that hasn't shown up in years...

Our PP needs Edler from a couple of seasons ago.

Edler the new CDC whipping boy

Few years back it was Bieksa and now most of you are singing his praises.

Edler is on pace for his worst year. If 9 points and a -12 in the first 27 games is not a sign for us to be concerned about his play then I don't know what is.

Not to muddy the waters by dragging another CDC whipping-boy into the picture, but Edler is a bit like Kassian in that they both have an incredible skill-set, but haven't yet been able to put it all together. In Edler's case, it's more of a concern because he's older and has had a serious back injury. But the point is that it can be harder to get it together when you're capable of playing the game several different ways than when you have only one obvious strength that fits a defined role. Coaching and learning become even more important for this kind of player. The coaching staff has to give him priorities and help him develop good habits and judgement on the ice. And all of that was altered by the new system Torts brought in. I'd like Edler to be better too, but am not going to flip out about it if it takes a while.

2way forwards don't exist? While he wont be as heavily relied upon in the defence zone doesent mean he wouldent be used there at all to defend and could play into his strength being more used to produce offence while still being used to keep pucks out of the net with 2 other d that are more solid the the back end

This is just a ridiculous proposition. Edler is having consistncy and positioning issues. If you put him in a completely estranged situation like putting him as a forward, he'll most likely have even more problems.

Edler is on pace for his worst year. If 9 points and a -12 in the first 27 games is not a sign for us to be concerned about his play then I don't know what is.

Bieksa had a terrible year and the next year he scored the goal to get us into the Cup Finals.

Players have off years.

Archived