The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[RUMOURS] Daily TSN Trade Rumours.

Warhippy

I will be the first to chime in with a head shake at LeBrun. TSN and Sportsnet both flat out said Gillis was chasing Ott which to me is frigging baffling. Anything more than a 3rd round pick is an over payment for such a rental and re-signing him would only hamper the possibility of seeing Gaunce or Horvat make the team next season.

A top 9 winger? This part is rather frustrating and shoddy reporting. We need a top 6 winger or better yet pin it to a top 3 winger. Guaranteed .75 ppg player but that won't be cheap will it?

Horvat will make the team next year regardless. This idea that Brendan Gaunce is playing on the Canucks next year is about as unrealistic as it gets. He isnt anywhere near good enough to play a meaningful role in the NHL for two more years after this season, if that soon.

Dont push Ott away just because it wrecks pushing young players onto the team. Its extremely unlikely players step up to clubs within the first two years now .

In fact, its far more likely they are 22 to 25 before they have a regular job . Give them some time. Horvat will be the exception because he has so many weapons and is physically really.

Don't see how anyone could complain about interest shown in Steve Ott. He is arguable one of the top 3rd line centers in the league and according to many Buffalo fans an exceptional guy in the dressing room. I really don't see a reason to rush a Bo Horvat or a Brendan Gaunce into a important role on this team yet. Why not give them time in the AHL to get used to the pro game.

I think it has become vital for players to develop in the AHL before hitting the big stage. Steve Ott could be re-signed as well.

Would you rather be paying David Booth 4.2 million or Steve Ott 4.2 million? He won't ask for that much and look at the player that could be brought in instead of having Booth.

So you reckon Stamkos, Ovechkin, Malkin, Carter, Giroux etc., the good goal scorers score all their goals on the perimeter? :blink:

I have some news...

They score the same tough goals as Wheeler, but get twice as many cuz they can also score from outside the box.

And can handle the pinner of a pass when they head to the net.

Yes a priority on some skills pls! :emot-parrot:

I have some news... Stamkos, Ovechkin, Malkin, Carter, Giroux don't play for the canucks and we will never acquire one of them either

Roy has a high end skill that was reasonable to acquire. He's been a 50+ point pace guy every season except his rookie season. Even this season with the blues he's on pace for over 50 points. He did a whole lot for us in playoffs. Canucks need more players that aren't afraid to get dirty and pay the price to win. Kesler can only do so much, but it's easy to understand why he's usually our best players come playoff time.

In my initial post I said that I would only trade Gaunce for Ott if we can extend Ott... please read what I said before posting. :picard:

And I countered with Ott being redundant due to his salary expectations and our depth at C. In such a strong UFA year saving every dollar is key. And again, we need a 3C for our team, why give away such a promising young C with size and IQ for an aging C with seriously declining numbers?

Horvat will make the team next year regardless. This idea that Brendan Gaunce is playing on the Canucks next year is about as unrealistic as it gets. He isnt anywhere near good enough to play a meaningful role in the NHL for two more years after this season, if that soon.

Dont push Ott away just because it wrecks pushing young players onto the team. Its extremely unlikely players step up to clubs within the first two years now .

In fact, its far more likely they are 22 to 25 before they have a regular job . Give them some time. Horvat will be the exception because he has so many weapons and is physically really.

Gaunce was arguably better than Horvat at not only the young stars tournament but also the pre season and prospects camp.

Gaunce will never be anything more than Steve Bernier.

And Kesler will never be more than a 3rd line player, Roy was never supposed to be more than a back up, Naslund was never going to be anything more than a 3rd or 2nd line winger and Datsyuk was never supposed to be the player he is in this league.

Seriously, you are kind of throwing Gaunce under the bus with little obvious knowledge of the player himself. He will most likely break into the AHL next season with Shinkaruk and Fox but is arguably in both physicality and hockey IQ one of the more NHL ready players we have.

Suggest you go into the Gaunce thread and watch his game packages.

The NHL's Mar. 5 Trade Deadline is drawing closer and teams will be deciding on whether to buy or sell while figuring out which players can make the biggest difference and hold the greatest value.

Check out today's trade-related reports and speculation from around the NHL beat. And follow TSN.ca through Deadline Day for all the updates.

Teetering Tenures

In a live chat on Tuesday afternoon, ESPN.com's Katie Strange said she believes Dustin Byfuglien's may not be a member of the Winnipeg Jets much longer.

In a response to a question about the future of the 6-foot-5, 265 lbs. defenceman, Strange was short and sweet.

"I can see Dustin Byfuglien being dealt, yes. His size, offensive ability, and versatility will likely be attractive to some teams. Right-handed defensemen are hard to find," she wrote.

Byfuglien is third among all defenceman with 10 goals and 37 points, but is ranked in the bottom three with a minus-16 rating.

Another veteran whose job may be on the line, according to Strange, is New York Rangers forward Brad Richards. Strange said despite the price tag - six years left after this season at $6.67 million per year - the Rangers will decide Richards future based on how many "good years" they believe he has left.

Richards will be 40 when his contract expires.

Volatile Venture

With the post-season now a realistic possibility for the surging Ottawa Senators, general manager Bryan Murray seems ready to make a deal.

"We are available to make a deal," he said in a conference call Tuesday.

However, Don Brennan of the Ottawa Sun writes that one of the prized names on the market, Buffalo Sabres forward Matt Moulson, may be a little too pricey for the nation's capital.

Brennan says one NHL executive believes a deal between the Senators and Sabres "makes sense", but another executive said the Sabres would likely ask for too much in the form of "a minimum of a first (round pick) and a top young player. And I'm not even sure they even want a first in this draft."

Moulson is making $3.13 million this year and is said to be looking for a long-term deal and double his current wage. The Senators likely won't be willing to give up the pieces or dollars for a deal going forward.

Faint Twinkle

If the Dallas Stars find themselves sinking further and further out of the playoff picture, a veteran sale might be on the way.

Mike Heika of the Dallas News said Tuesday that if the Stars remain on the outside looking in at the beginning of February or after the Olympics, then "players like Vern Fiddler, Ray Whitney and Erik Cole will be made available."

The Stars don't have to look far into the past as a reference for such moves. Last year the team sent Brendan Morrow to the Pittsburgh Penguins less than two weeks before the trade deadline and traded Jaromir Jagr to the Boston Bruins and Derek Roy to the Vancouver Canucks the day before.

Ott is interesting as he is an instigator which might jump start Van on some nights. That said I think Richardson has been great at 3C and would feel comfortable going forward with him.

Van's biggest problem is scoring. Get a Andrew Ladd. Nice size. Clutch. Cost more than Ott but bigger impact.

i agree with the reports. richardson has beeg a good stop gap... but imo thats what he is. if we could aquire a 3rd line C who was the best player on that line ie: dubinsky or ott... i think thatd really help team depth.

We may want a top winger more, but if one does not come available, or is too expensive, than this is the hole that if filled will make the biggest difference in the lineup.

imo Ott or Dubinsky > higgins, hansen, santorelli, richardson

I have some news... Stamkos, Ovechkin, Malkin, Carter, Giroux don't play for the canucks and we will never acquire one of them either

Roy has a high end skill that was reasonable to acquire. He's been a 50+ point pace guy every season except his rookie season. Even this season with the blues he's on pace for over 50 points. He did a whole lot for us in playoffs. Canucks need more players that aren't afraid to get dirty and pay the price to win. Kesler can only do so much, but it's easy to understand why he's usually our best players come playoff time.

No we wont get a Stamkos. But watch the goal Carter scored to beat us the 2knd last game. Cruising into the slot he snaps an instant release top shelf before the goalie can blink.

And yes we want to add names like Kassian to our already long list of blue collar, hard on the puck, dirty area guys who are largely successful because of how hard they dig; Hansen, Higgins, Richardson, Santorelli, Burrows and Kesler who is the only one with what most class as a weapon for a shot. And add to that the Sedins, who are wizard passers but actually survive as beasts of the cycle where, yes, they outwork and come up with the puck (routinely) on the boards.

A true sniper with a laser shot and fast, accurate release bursts games open when common lunch bucket guys (Booth) cannot convert. They also draw a defender away from the puck because they cannot be left alone. That opens up space, and lanes to the net, for your diggers as well.

St Lou was a lunchbucket team for years. Look at them now that Steen, Stewart, Oshie and Tarasenko are emerging as snipers. They have broken out, and now are an elite team. Roy makes a difference because they put it in the net. We already outwork teams, even beat some on our work rate. And we have drafted guys like Horvat and Gaunce who will more than likely be (hopefully high end) lunch bucket guys as well. Yes what we really need are guys who convert to go up a level!

We could have had Carter for Schneider. A guy or two of that calibre (I should not have laundry listed the top end guys, my apologies) tends to be available every year. It must be one of our targets.

i agree with the reports. richardson has beeg a good stop gap... but imo thats what he is. if we could aquire a 3rd line C who was the best player on that line ie: dubinsky or ott... i think thatd really help team depth.

We may want a top winger more, but if one does not come available, or is too expensive, than this is the hole that if filled will make the biggest difference in the lineup.

imo Ott or Dubinsky > higgins, hansen, santorelli, richardson

Dubinsky is potentially a great 3C; actually playing 2knd line LW atm. He's big at over 215 lbs and 6'3" if I remember right. And a side note is he is emerging as a set up guy more than a goal scorer > 20 assists so far. Looking at a him as a set up guy, with his physical tools that are hard to match up against, makes him a worthwhile target. But he is also perhaps the best example of what we hope a Gaunce becomes?

Not really sure why they trade him, or what we can send that makes a deal work in Columbus?

But again, why is 3C our focus? It could be that extra body with size, Malhotra nullified size match up issues at 3C.

I just see moving the puck out of our end (a PMD) and a guy who converts (a goal scoring winger) as bigger issues for us. Plus we have 3C's in the pipeline.

Kadri On The Move?

On 'Leafs Breakfast' on TSN Radio 1050 on Thursday, TSN Hockey Insider Darren Dreger said believes that Toronto Maple Leafs forward Nazem Kadri is available in trade discussions, but that the club is not eager to move him because of their weakness at the centre position.

"I have been told bluntly by Dave Nonis that he needs a centre in return," Dreger said. "Who is going to give you a better centre for one they think might develop into a better centre?

"This one is going to be crafty. I do think he gets moved this year, but it's going to be a delicate one."

Net Market

On NHL Network on Wednesday, Dreger added that he didn't believe the Carolina Hurricanes are actively shopping goaltender Cam Ward - but they could be intrigued by the possibility and it could take a significant offer to convince the team to move him.

He also said that Michal Neuvirth could be the odd man out with the Washington Capitals, but general manager George McPhee isn't calling around trying to move him.

Status Quo On Erat?

Chuck Gormley of Comcast SportsNet in Washington writes that Capitals winger Martin Erat has been scratched for a fourth straight game and his agent is still talking with McPhee about a deal, but nothing has changed in Erat's desire to be traded.

Gaunce was arguably better than Horvat at not only the young stars tournament but also the pre season and prospects camp.

And Kesler will never be more than a 3rd line player, Roy was never supposed to be more than a back up, Naslund was never going to be anything more than a 3rd or 2nd line winger and Datsyuk was never supposed to be the player he is in this league.

Seriously, you are kind of throwing Gaunce under the bus with little obvious knowledge of the player himself. He will most likely break into the AHL next season with Shinkaruk and Fox but is arguably in both physicality and hockey IQ one of the more NHL ready players we have.

Suggest you go into the Gaunce thread and watch his game packages.

You dont know what you are writing . I am telling you with a fair amount of certainty that Brendan Gaunce is not going to ever be any better than Steve Bernier.

Bernier is a 3rd line guy who has racked up well over 500 NHL games and even scored 15 goals once. (with the Canucks no less) I suspect he will end up with roughly 800 games of solid journeyman work. f Brendan Gaunce can duplicate that, I am certain many would be very happy. If you disagree, fine. I dont mind. Honest. :)

I

You dont know what you are writing . I am telling you with a fair amount of certainty that Brendan Gaunce is not going to ever be any better than Steve Bernier.

Bernier is a 3rd line guy who has racked up well over 500 NHL games and even scored 15 goals once. (with the Canucks no less) I suspect he will end up with roughly 800 games of solid journeyman work. f Brendan Gaunce can duplicate that, I am certain many would be very happy. If you disagree, fine. I dont mind. Honest. :)

I

Brendan Gaunce will be a far better point getter than Bernier almost without question

I

Bernier only developed the work ethic to play the defensive side of the game when it became clear he was washing out of the league as a top 6 guy.

Gaunce had the best strength and fitness scores of his draft class, plays a stodgy two way game and has been a clutch play off performer in junior. They are different players. Gaunce may develop into a more dynamic scorer? Yes I will be happy if he plays 500 Canuck games.

I also expect him to be more competitive in a lot of other ways right from the start!

Archived